OCD or Anxiety over tooth infection

hi everyone, I don't know if this is ocd or not, but my ocd is very active at the moment, worrying about everyone's health etc

and I have got a tooth infection, been given antibiotics but haven't taken them.  I keep trying to fight the infection myself with tcp, baking soda, lots of vitamins, I get to a point where I'm feeling better, then I get complacent and it's back.  

Scared of antibiotics because when I was a child I had gastro enteritis some weeks after a course of anti biotics and the doctor told my mother that the antibiotics probably contributed to it.  I don't want to feel even worse.  

The dentist has given them to me and I'm just monitoring myself.  I'm scared of sepsis, so I'm just keeping an eye on my temperature (normal at the moment, though I feel like I'm glowing) and trying to clear the infection.  

Has anyone else had a tooth infection and had to have antibiotics?  Anyone else have these worries?  

I think probably the treatment for this is to tell myself that by not taking the antibiotics I may cause sepsis and I may end up in hospital with tubes down my throat helping me to breath and it may all be too late and I may also be encouraging my arteries to fur up because of all the tooth bacteria.

And try to accept that.  Especially if I won't take the antibiotics.  

You're not going to clear a tooth infection without antibiotics.  I know this because I have had multiple periodontal abscesses over the last 15 years due to an impacted wisdom tooth I just had to have surgically removed in hospital.  You do not want to mess around with infections in your mouth.  The complication are not worth it.

If you're worried about stomach upsets due to antibiotics you can take probiotics and s. boulardii and keep to a bland simple diet.  Yes you might get an upset stomach as that can be common with antibiotics but an upset stomach is better than sepsis, tunnelling abscesses or brain infections.  

Just take the antibitoics.  Taking the antibiotics is the proper treatment here both for your tooth and your OCD since not taking them is blatant avoidance.

Edited by ocdjonesy

Thanks ocdjonesy

I know you are right, the problem I am having is that I also have ptsd about sudden health problems, I cannot at the moment even write about exactly what it is, but I'm on my own and scared I'll be allergic to the antibiotics, like dangerously allergic.  All my family are allergic to penicillin, so to be on the safe side he's given metronidazole, but I still worry.  

I've always had vomit phobia as well, I get a sense of something terrible about to happen when my stomach is bad.  The ptsd is due to something terrible and sudden actually happening, so it's compounding.  I'm on my own.  Ambulances don't come for hours.

So was just hoping I could get this to calm down and then see if I could take it tomorrow maybe after talking to the doctor, if I can talk to them.  I am having cbt currently for all these issues, but this sort of thing never happens near to a session so it could be worked through.

I'm not saying I won't take them, just that I'm really struggling with this whole thing.

I get you - it turned out I had become allergic (in my 30s, after having taken it frequently before) to penicillin during one of my gum infections - the first time it happened I came out in a couple of hives and my partner was like 'you're not allergic to penicillin don't be daft' but then then the next time I took it my throat swelled, I came out in hives and my hands/feet swelled up and went red.  I was fine apart from that though and was given an antihistamine and sent home from a&e after the nhs 24 nurse told me to go 'just in case'.  

The worst part was the itching which went on for the next day and also hitting a deer on the way to the hospital and it taking out a bunch of difficult to replace parts on the car but to be fair I'm used to my throat swelling from having asthma as a child so when it happened I was sort of just like ...my throat feels weird this is weird.  Apart from that it was pretty uneventful and I remained calm throughout which is the funny thing - you spend all your time worrying about life threatening illnesses and then one happens and you're like 'lol this is funny tbh'.

That happening has made me very nervous about taking medication since though, and in the last year or so I've also developed a fear of od'ing on paracetamol that can leave me refusing to take the things when I should even if that isn't how paracetamol over dose works.  So I totally, totally get you.

I know it's scary to deal with and being alone compounds that but it is *extremely* unlikely for you to be allergic to both metro and penicillin.  At least that's what I was told by several people after enquiring.

If it would make you feel better to hold off until you can talk to a doctor that's fine - you can gargle warm salt water in the meantime which can help to control the swelling and pain - but you do need to try to take them hun.  They'll make you feel a lot better in the long run and any side effects will be temporary.  You can take them with food to minimise stomach upsets - which is something I've always found to work.  

Just don't drink alcohol on metro and you'll be fine. 

* I recognise this is probably all reassurance giving rather than OCD advice giving but having had an allergic to reaction to antibiotics before I thought I might as well share the experience.  OCD advice, as you know, is to do the opposite of what OCD says which is to take the antibiotics and try to minimise compulsions while doing etc etc.  I'm sorry you're not having a good time with this - tooth infections suck.  You have my empathy and understanding.

Edited by ocdjonesy

Thanks ocdjonesy.  I think it's not just the ocd at the moment, although there have been a lot of compulsions of late and yes I think not taking the medicene is a compulsion.

Yes it's weird I've had asthma in the past and I was very ill once and refused to take steroids.  They had me on oxygen at the hospital and I was telling them that steroids are dangerous.  Then our friend's child had a bad asthma attack and they were given the same steroids for him and he was 8.  I felt pretty stupid after that and took mine, lol.  Far from any bad reaction all I felt was my lungs gradually opening up.

Most people I know will just take stuff and not expect any bad reactions.  I wish I was one of them.

Anyway, I have the antibiotics here, I know if things got worse I'd take them (because the fear of sepsis would overtake the fear of the antibiotics), and tomorrow I will aim to take them anyway.  It'll be easier in the day when the surgery is open (it's only a short walk from my house) and there's access to people more than at night.

But I will definitely take them if things got worse, I know I would then.  It's strange but listening to binaural beats on you tube for tooth infection really helps, it did last night as well and the effect is immediate.  Would love to know if there's anything in that, bacteria not liking the vibration or something.  Or probably it just soothes the nerves.  

Thanks for listening and sharing your story, it helps hearing other's stories.  

I think not wanting to take medication is pretty common.  Along with medical fear in general.  My hairdresser refuses to have her tonsils out despite them being permanently infected and my neighbour avoids antibiotics at all costs and they're both totally 'normal'.  And my gran?  Do not get me started on that women.  She is an absolute essay on why you shouldn't read the leaflet that comes with the medication before you take them.  So it's not just you.

And yeah, if taking them during the day is what it takes to self sooth I think that's a good decision.  You know your limits the best and there's no point pushing yourself past them if it's not an emergency - which if it was you'd be in hospital already because the dentist would have taken one look at your and told you to go there.  

The warm salt water (as warm as you can stand) trick really works btw - it's not perfect but it will take the swelling down for a while since salt is anti-microbial.  Although I had to stop and switch to corsodyl after about 6 ****** months of having to rinse my gum out because there was an open, infected hole in it for two years while I waited for a hospital appointment because too much of it will strip the enamel off your teeth but for you in the short term it's fine.

9 hours ago, Handy said:

If a person has a dental abscess you get a root canal.  You can't cure an infection that is in your tooth with anything.  

Handy, as you're in the US I'm intrigued to hear your view.  Should I be finding a dentist that will treat this immediately rather than taking antibiotics and waiting for treatment?

I know you can only give your opinion, I understand you can't give advice.  

So I contacted my surgery electronically.  I got a call back from reception.  

She said she's spoken to the doctor and the doctor says they cannot advise on dental matters.

This isn't a dental matter, the antibiotics are the dental treatment.  The anxiety is a health matter for my surgery.  I do understand they are busy but I strongly suspect reception (from the way they've been for a couple of decades now, not just recently with covid etc) have just spun me a yarn.  I will be talking to the doctor soon about another issue and I will ask them about this.

So, back to the dentist.  What can they do if I won't take the antibiotics?  Well, I know what BOTH establishments could do but are failing to do.  TALK TO THE PATIENT.

Handy is only partly correct.  An infection in you root canal is what necessitates a root canal procedure as per the nhs website : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/root-canal-treatment/ .  However since your dentist has not scheduled you for this procedure and has instead given you antibiotics it's more than likely that you don't need the root canal procedure at this time as your infection has not progressed enough to necessitate one.

There are lot of different types of dental abscess and similarly lots of different causes for them and if your medical professional has prescribed you a course of antibiotics then that is the treatment they have deemed appropriate in your case.  It's not worth it to them to risk their career on inappropriate treatment.  

You could always phone your dentist and tell them about your reluctance to take the antibiotics and ask them if there is an alternative treatment they can give you but alternative treatment for gum infections (if it's appropriate in your case) is to cut open the gum, drain the pus and and clean out the wound which I can tell you from experience is ******* painful.  As is sticking a syringe into the hole daily and flushing it out with salt water.

As for your doctors response they're not lying to you they are literally not qualified and therefore not covered legally to advise on dental matters and if your question was framed as a dental matter they wont answer that question.  You cold try to call again and make it clear that what you're asking about is the likelihood of you having an allergy to metronidazole and your worry around it which is more in their area of expertise but frankly they're only going to tell you what I already have - that the chances of you having an allergy to both penicillin and metronidazole is tremendously low.  

I can keep trying to reason with you here or I can tell you what you already know - you are avoiding taking the medication that has been prescribed to you because the idea of it makes you anxious.  Which is understandable but not practical in terms of your physical or mental health.

Edited by ocdjonesy
35 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

It's really simple. Take the antibiotics. All of them. As prescribed. All the what ifs that have popped up are pure nonsense. That you are listening to them and going round and round in your head is OCD.

Pretty much this tbh.  

14 hours ago, Juliex said:

Handy, as you're in the US I'm intrigued to hear your view.  Should I be finding a dentist that will treat this immediately rather than taking antibiotics and waiting for treatment?

I know you can only give your opinion, I understand you can't give advice.  

Dentistry in US is very advanced.  I got something similar as you have & went to an endodontist, my dentist couldn't do a thing. 

Do you have endodontists? They can cure this. it's gums that get infected. It really stresses the OCD.  You didn't say what tooth but every tooth has a number. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 21/10/2022 at 02:23, Handy said:

Dentistry in US is very advanced.  I got something similar as you have & went to an endodontist, my dentist couldn't do a thing. 

Do you have endodontists? They can cure this. it's gums that get infected. It really stresses the OCD.  You didn't say what tooth but every tooth has a number. 

Thanks I don't know.  

I will ask, my appointment is soon.  The infection has 'gone' as far as I can tell.  I appreciate you getting back to me Handy.

On 20/10/2022 at 23:22, ocdjonesy said:

Pretty much this tbh.  

On 20/10/2022 at 22:47, PolarBear said:

It's really simple. Take the antibiotics. All of them. As prescribed. All the what ifs that have popped up are pure nonsense. That you are listening to them and going round and round in your head is OCD.

I know you guys are right.  

It boils down to not wanting sickness or diarrhoea and not wanting any remote possibility of that, even if it's remote.  And unfortunately after my last post I then spoke to a friend and she said she'd had a terrible reaction.  And there we have it.  I sat with a temperature for 3 days before things improved by themselves.  

I know you are both right but sometimes it's paralysis to make the change.  I'm working on it.  Thanks for both responding though as I think reading your responses was to some extent making me face things, even though I didn't take them.  

Hi @Juliex

I read this entire thread last night when I couldn't sleep and felt like I had to say something because I think everything you have written shows what an immense grip OCD has on you and your life. You were willing to sit with a temperature and an infection for 3 days (!!), you are looking at alternative treatments that are much more invasive, painful and require recovery time...all because you don't want to risk getting diarrhea and vomiting? I'm sorry, I really don't want to be harsh or anything, but I think not pointing this out to you and engaging with your fears is just irresponsible. Your way of thinking is harmful because you won't be able to avoid medical procedures for the rest of your life. What would you have done if the infection didn't go away?

It's very easy for us with OCD to doubt medical professionals and feel frustrated with them when they won't cater to our fears. But who do you really trust more - your friend, a group of unqualified strangers on the internet...or the dentist who prescribed the treatment? Your physicians will always offer the most efficient and least invasive treatment possible and that is the right thing to do. Why make a patient go through something painful, when it can be treated easily with medication?

I understand that this is a very deep fear for you and that it won't go away overnight. I understand how taking the antibiotics may have been a huge step if that is your biggest fear. However, as a starting point I think you should try to accept how utterly irrational this whole situation has been. I worry that you don't fully accept it, given how much your tried to rationalise your fear and how you even said "I don't think it's just OCD at the moment".

Maybe next time you should be honest with your physician at the appointment and tell them that you're afraid of whatever treatment they offer. At least then they can know the full story and try to help you, rather than you turning to the internet for advice. But most importantly, please work on this. There won't always be an alternative treatment to the one you're afraid of and problems won't always go away on their own. Good luck!

Wow. As a nurse this thread has shocked me. Avoiding taking routine antibiotics due to an OCD-based fear of getting an upset stomach, and choosing to sit with a potentially dangerous dental infection is absolutely shocking and just shows how much of a grip OCD has on you and how much it has warped your sense of reality.

Untreated dental infections are so dangerous. They are a common cause of not just sepsis but also heart problems, bone infections, and blood clots. I remember reading about this poor woman who struggled to access proper dental care and due to negligence her untreated dental infection wrecked her health for the rest of her life. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/apr/20/dentists-would-not-treat-my-toothache-now-my-health-has-been-wrecked-for-ever

Yes I do mean to scare you because you absolutely cannot muck about with dental infections. Please please please just take the antibiotics.

2 hours ago, Lynz said:

Wow. As a nurse this thread has shocked me. Avoiding taking routine antibiotics due to an OCD-based fear of getting an upset stomach, and choosing to sit with a potentially dangerous dental infection is absolutely shocking and just shows how much of a grip OCD has on you and how much it has warped your sense of reality.

Untreated dental infections are so dangerous. They are a common cause of not just sepsis but also heart problems, bone infections, and blood clots. I remember reading about this poor woman who struggled to access proper dental care and due to negligence her untreated dental infection wrecked her health for the rest of her life. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/apr/20/dentists-would-not-treat-my-toothache-now-my-health-has-been-wrecked-for-ever

Yes I do mean to scare you because you absolutely cannot muck about with dental infections. Please please please just take the antibiotics.

you haven't told me anything I don't know only too well.  You don't know my past or my history or what I already know.  No you haven't shocked or scared me as I'm already that about things related to ptsd.  Don't be so judgemental.  If someone cannot do something, they cannot do it.  Your response above won't make them do it.  If it did they wouldn't need to see a therapist.  I'm fully aware of how dangerous this situation could be.

This is supposed to be a support forum.  I'm beginning to think I should start reporting posts.

8 hours ago, malina said:

as a starting point I think you should try to accept how utterly irrational this whole situation has been. I worry that you don't fully accept it, given how much your tried to rationalise your fear and how you even said "I don't think it's just OCD at the moment".

Maybe next time you should be honest with your physician at the appointment and tell them that you're afraid of whatever treatment they offer. At least then they can know the full story and try to help you, rather than you turning to the internet for advice. But most importantly, please work on this. There won't always be an alternative treatment to the one you're afraid of and problems won't always go away on their own. Good luck!

it's not just ocd, it's also ptsd.  I'm aware of how 'utterly irrational' it is, that's why I've asked repeatedly for help and I'm not getting it.  

I HAVE been honest with my physician.  

And I am aware there won't always be an alternative treatment.  

I am seeking help.  I have been repeatedly for a long time.

3 hours ago, ocdjonesy said:

Have you had the tooth checked since then?  Dental infections do not just "go away".  You need to follow the matter up to safeguard your health.

Yes I'm aware they don't just 'go away.'  And I'm aware I need to follow the matter up to safeguard my health.  

I have an appointment coming up.

1 hour ago, Juliex said:

Yes I'm aware they don't just 'go away.'  And I'm aware I need to follow the matter up to safeguard my health.  

I have an appointment coming up.

Good I'm glad.  I was worried about what was going on when you dropped out of the thread so I'm relieved you're being persistent with it.

5 hours ago, Juliex said:

you haven't told me anything I don't know only too well.  You don't know my past or my history or what I already know.  No you haven't shocked or scared me as I'm already that about things related to ptsd.  Don't be so judgemental.  If someone cannot do something, they cannot do it.  Your response above won't make them do it.  If it did they wouldn't need to see a therapist.  I'm fully aware of how dangerous this situation could be.

This is supposed to be a support forum.  I'm beginning to think I should start reporting posts.

My post was intended to convey how concerned I am for you. I was reiterating how dangerous these infections are and I'm shocked and concerned at how your OCD has such a grip on you.