New member/Powerless.

Good evening, I would just like to say hello and dip my toe in.

My 17-year-old daughter is suffering with intrusive thoughts and the powerlessness is breaking me, I really do not want to come across as making it all about me but as her dad I have to be strong. I am a recovering alcoholic with 2 decades of strong sobriety, I have been helped by many and have helped many stay sober through sponsorship. These are people who I did not know before I came into recovery and the fact that I can help a stranger but have no answers or advice for my own flesh and blood is really painful and the anxiety is beginning to show. It has taken courage for my daughter to tell us about the thoughts, and i would hate for her to not share her pain with us because she is worried how it will affect me.

We are trying to find the right therapist and she is also having an assessment for ADHD, maybe the two are related.

Anyway, I am glad I found this forum and website, it is very informative.

I don't know why I have posted this, I'm just a worried dad.

I’m so sorry you, your daughter and your family are going through this. It is a very difficult thing to deal with for everyone involved and I know how heartbreaking it is to watch your child suffer and feel powerless.

getting professional help for your daughter is the right thing to do to help with her recovery.

I have found help from reading and learning as much as I can about ocd.

It is also vital you find a way to look after yourself during this time. It is the best way to be able to provide the support your daughter needs. I find meditations and talks by Tara Brach very helpful in understanding my feelings and not becoming overwhelmed. I’ve also spoken with my GP and they have offered CBT and SSRI medication for my situation.

There are many great resources available on this charity’s site and also ocd action whose help lines I have also found very helpful. When I’ve been at my lowest I have spoken to the Samaritans who provide a much needed ear. 
It’s been a few months but I am starting to accept things as they are and I have hope for the future. 

I know how hard it is but you will get through this.