I had a quick phone call with the private psychiatrist before our private assessment. She mentioned antipsychotics argumentation has been helpful for her ocd patients, however she usually puts them on a low dose of Aripiprazole (abilify) alongside their SSRI. But, because I’ve got insomnia alongside my OCD, shes suggested quetiapine? I’ve watched a conference call from last year about medication and OCD and the lady mentioned that it’s only based on a small study regarding the effectiveness? 

Does anybody have experience with Quetiapine? I know everybody reacts differently to meds, but she said it would also take the edge off my PMDD. 

What may benefit individuals from a medication point of view is very subjective.

For some, meds are gamechangers, for others not much benefit.

I know Polarbear gained massively from SSRI plus antipsychotic. It may well be more commonplace in Canada.

I don't think adding an antipsychotic has  made much headway yet in the UK.

Hi Summer,

Yes, antipsychotics can help, however, if I were you, I really would not go down this route if you can help it! I am guessing you are only young!

A tiny amount of aripiprazole helped me massively, but having said that, & ridiculed by psychiatrists, I am convinced that quetiapine triggered severe OCD in me! Yes, rather than STOP quetiapine say 1 month later, they then issued citalopram, & kept me on both for many years! :rolleyes:  

If you do go down this route, I would keep plugging away at NHS CBT again, again & again & get off of the antipsychotic ASAP! 

1 hour ago, Summer9173 said:

because I’ve got insomnia alongside my OCD, shes suggested quetiapine

So, the psychiatrist has given you a valid medical reason why she's suggesting a particular treatment and...

...the first thing you do is come on the forum and ask for non-medical opinions from people who can only share their personal experiences (and everybody's experience is unique with these kinds of medications.) :confused1:

What is it you are hoping to hear, Summer? 

Is it possible you are just using the forum to express your immediate feelings of doubt? :unsure:

I'm not saying you can't use the forum that way.  I am aware you don't have much in the way of other support/ family support. At the same time I would like to see you begin to work on your self-confidence and start to tolerate a few doubts now and then without rushing to get them off your chest like a child rushes to tell a parent everything that's happened in their day.

I really hope that doesn't come across as condescending, it's not in any way meant to be. I know how much you've grown-up the past year and I merely wish to help you transition to the self-confident, resilient adult you are already becoming. :)

So, I'm going to ask again... What is it you are hoping for by posting this, Summer? (Just want you to think about your motives and needs, that's all. :) )

1 hour ago, felix4 said:

Hi Summer,

Yes, antipsychotics can help, however, if I were you, I really would not go down this route if you can help it! I am guessing you are only young!

A tiny amount of aripiprazole helped me massively, but having said that, & ridiculed by psychiatrists, I am convinced that quetiapine triggered severe OCD in me! Yes, rather than STOP quetiapine say 1 month later, they then issued citalopram, & kept me on both for many years! :rolleyes:  

If you do go down this route, I would keep plugging away at NHS CBT again, again & again & get off of the antipsychotic ASAP! 

Oh no I’m so sorry you had a bad experience with quetiapine :( do you not agree with antipsychotics argumentation then? 

58 minutes ago, snowbear said:

So, the psychiatrist has given you a valid medical reason why she's suggesting a particular treatment and...

...the first thing you do is come on the forum and ask for non-medical opinions from people who can only share their personal experiences (and everybody's experience is unique with these kinds of medications.) :confused1:

What is it you are hoping to hear, Summer? 

Is it possible you are just using the forum to express your immediate feelings of doubt? :unsure:

I'm not saying you can't use the forum that way.  I am aware you don't have much in the way of other support/ family support. At the same time I would like to see you begin to work on your self-confidence and start to tolerate a few doubts now and then without rushing to get them off your chest like a child rushes to tell a parent everything that's happened in their day.

I really hope that doesn't come across as condescending, it's not in any way meant to be. I know how much you've grown-up the past year and I merely wish to help you transition to the self-confident, resilient adult you are already becoming. :)

So, I'm going to ask again... What is it you are hoping for by posting this, Summer? (Just want you to think about your motives and needs, that's all. :) )

Thank you @snowbear, it’s because I haven’t really came across people say their on Quetiapine? My brothers on it but it’s for his psychosis episode.

7 minutes ago, Summer9173 said:

it’s because I haven’t really came across people say their on Quetiapine

Fine. Thanks for clarifying. :)

That brings me back to my original point:-

- you've been given a medical reason by a medically qualified person - specifically tailored to you - suggesting quetiapine and not 'the usual stuff you hear about more often'.

If you have doubts, would you not be better raising them with the psychiatrist?  'Why have you suggested this particular drug for me when most people are given xyz?' (Actually she gave you the answer already - quetiapine has some sedative effects which would be useful in someone experiencing insomnia.)

Medication is meant to be tailored to the individual. :) What applies to the average person / most people doesn't apply to everybody. If it did we could get rid of doctors, let everybody google their symptoms for themselves and get a monkey to hand out the same pills to everybody. :laugh: 

So asking on the forum for other people's experiences regarding medication has limited use to the individual asking. I'm not just saying this to you Summer. I repeat it often on the forums to lots and lots of people who ask questions of forum users - if they have doubts or questions about the medication they have been prescribed (tailored to them) then they should ask their doctor (and get the response tailored to them as an individual). :)

I was on Quetiapine about 10 years ago (not for ocd so I can’t comment on its effectiveness for that). I was not on it for long as it made me so drowsy, so I can understand why your psychiatrist may think it could assist given your circumstances.

As I know you know (and as Snowbear and Taurean say!), this was my experience and there is no way to tell how any medication will work on an individual at any given time (for example, having taken them historically without issue, my last attempts at taking any ssri resulted in bad side effects whereas I have been fine on clomipramine 🤷‍♀️).

It sounds as though the psychiatrist listened to your full circumstances (including the insomnia and PMDD) and has suggested what she views to be the most appropriate medication for you. It is a positive that she has not blindly suggested Aripiprazole on the basis that that is what she usually prescribes…instead she has seen you as an individual with your own set of needs.

Sorry I can’t be of more help xxx

Edited by Gingham
3 hours ago, Summer9173 said:

Oh no I’m so sorry you had a bad experience with quetiapine :( do you not agree with antipsychotics argumentation then? 

I agree with augmentation as a last resort for say those with severe, or treatment resistant OCD, but if it is for some other condition as well, then you must go along with those that are qualified!

For just OCD, then a pill is not enough! You will most likely find it will only ease symptoms of OCD, but it is still there & you need to keep fighting OCD with CBT/ERP & get of meds as soon as you can!

Apologies if I said anything wrong in my previous post, & all the best @Summer9173

7 hours ago, Handy said:

So you talked to someone who doesn't know you & they suggested a drug for schizophrenia & psychosis? Does that even make sense?

You can search the forum for it & get your answer.

Drugs like this aren’t just used for psychotic conditions.

Hi I take olanzipine as an augmentation treatment alongside an ssri, it has been a massive help to me and has helped me to cut down on rumination 

that said there is no one medication that fits all as we all react differently, I’ve tried 5 different antipsychotics and olanzipine seems to suit me x

9 hours ago, Veryblue said:

Drugs like this aren’t just used for psychotic conditions.

Yes. As mentioned augmentation for OCD drug treatment. A calming effect. Tends to be prescribed in low doses for OCD. Also used in a variety of other conditions.