Fluoxetine experience wanted

I have been prescribed Fluoxetine somewhat against my will in that I said I was too scared to take SSRIs for fear they’d make me nauseous and vomit (I have emetophobia). The dr just said all SSRIs carry that risk you just have to push past it. I don’t think she understands how anxiety works at all. I want to try it because I really need some help but I’m scared. Sertraline made me nauseous so I stopped after 4 days and never knew if I’d have gotten past it or it would have gotten worse and that’s put me off trying again. She’s started me on 10mg a day for 2 weeks increasing to 20mg after that in the hope that going slow would reduce side effects but I’d really value peoples experience before I make a decision on whether to try them. I’m so scared. Also sertraline turned me into a zombie during those 4 days. Do they all do that? Did others get nauseous or vomit taking them and if so how long did it last? Any positive experiences? And what about withdrawals coming off them? So many questions but thanks in advance. I could use some advice.

Hi @AshleyP

I took Fluoxetine when I was first diagnosed with OCD about 15 years ago. I didn't take it for very long (maybe 6 months) because I wanted to try to deal with OCD without medication, that is just a personal preference and not anything to do with the medication itself. To be honest, I thought taking the medication was okay, I had some of the side effects like dry mouth and some bad constipation (sorry to be so awkward!!). I didn't vomit or feel particularly awful and I do think it helped. I just wanted to send some encouraging words if you are thinking of going down this route, but also you should be aware that everyone is different. I'm quite lucky that I don't seem to have a bad reaction to medication in general, while other people are much more sensitive to the side effects and it's very hard to predict. In any case, best of luck, I hope it helps you!

Thanks @malina this is really useful. Online you tend to find plenty of negative experiences but people are less inclined to write about positive ones. And you know how prone research those of us with OCD can be. But I’m just so nervous I need to be prepared.

People have different experiences with drugs. This applies to all drugs be they for ‘physical’ and ‘mental’ issues.

Having said that, I have had no problems being on it and going off it. My experience covers a long time.

I wasn't able to tolerate the SSRIs myself. 

My medics were sure they would help, but my problem was persistent diarrhoea that just wouldn't go away. I also felt somewhat zombied.

I had the same response from prozac, sertraline and citalopram.

If you need something mainly to help with depression and you aren't too anxious, then you could try the herbal remedy St John's Wort, which also works on Serotonin levels  but in a different way to the drugs.

I find it good as an antidepressant, but I don't take it late as it can affect sleep.

This herb does affect how some medications work, and cannot be used with others that affect serotonin so you would need to check carefully against any other medications you may be taking.

But there is no delay to it working, and for me there are no side effects.

If you want to give it a go it's available from health food stores.