Relapses of giving into OCD and the thoughts and compulsions could happen, but dont let it bring you down!

I had recently had a bad anxiety issue despite myself being very well regarding my worries for losing the friend im very friendly with now based off what others used to do, but in the end i just learned to continue to live in life, the friend is going to eventually get back to me as theyve said and done for a couple years now, but generally speaking but sometimes over time i learn that the friend isnt angry about me asking something or saying something i feel they wont accept or want like and be angry and even anger has nothing to do with the friend not wanting to do anything with me anymore and if they didnt like when i called and texted a lot of overbearing moments and the friend got upset but they told me if i call here and there they know im not being like that and i have to seperate my thoughts  from reality and my friend would have just forgot over time anyways.  i feel bad i relasped but im trying to find my way again, though im confident i will

28 minutes ago, Kcbell92 said:

I had recently had a bad anxiety issue despite myself being very well regarding my worries for losing the friend im very friendly with now based off what others used to do, but in the end i just learned to continue to live in life, the friend is going to eventually get back to me as theyve said and done for a couple years now, but generally speaking but sometimes over time i learn that the friend isnt angry about me asking something or saying something i feel they wont accept or want like and be angry and even anger has nothing to do with the friend not wanting to do anything with me anymore and if they didnt like when i called and texted a lot of overbearing moments and the friend got upset but they told me if i call here and there they know im not being like that and i have to seperate my thoughts  from reality and my friend would have just forgot over time anyways.  i feel bad i relasped but im trying to find my way again, though im confident i will

I'm actually really glad you have made this post. I think a lot of the time, it can be easy for people to look at any of us responding to anyone's post and think that we have got it all figured out but the truth is whilst a lot of us know how to deal with OCD and have had therapy to be able to help us deal with that, it doesn't mean we don't all have our good and bad moments with it. I don't like calling it relapsing, it's more of a blip. You don't lose anything you learned just because you did a compulsion. It just gives you something you need to work on a bit more.

I've had the last few weeks of just really stressful things going on in my life and as such OCD spiked and whilst most of it can be easily dismissed now some of it sticks and for that brief moment you do feel helpless to the OCD cycle again. Right now for me, it's been back to what if I somehow blurted out something offensive to someone, what if somehow semen touched someone else from when I was in the bathroom and got someone pregnant (the very thought of this one literally makes me not want to have a relationship that even remotely has a sexual component even though I would value having that kind of intimacy with a partner) and some other sexual or harm based intrusive thoughts and images. I can work through these though. These aren't invisible walls that somehow destroy all the progress I've made, it's just something I need to work on more. If to do that, I need to go back for another round of therapy, so be it.

There is a massive collective knowledge on the forum and that is great but hopefully seeing this post that has been made by @Kcbell92 shows that no one is perfect at dealing with OCD (and to a certain extent we probably shouldn't be trying to be perfect at getting rid of it as that's just a compulsion in itself). If I look back on what I was dealing with pre-therapy, I could barely cope with the sheer time taken up by rumination and other compulsions throughout the day. I've come very far in my understanding of OCD as well as progression through treatment of the condition. I think its really good to remind yourself of the progress you have made instead of only looking at what you still have left to do some more work with.

It is fine and it is normal to have ups and downs with OCD, you aren't a failure if you do a compulsion or feel overwhelmed at times by OCD. Ultimately we are all here to support each other and for everyone to have a place to discuss their difficulties/challenges of OCD or their lived experience for how they dealt with things.

1 hour ago, DRS1 said:

I'm actually really glad you have made this post. I think a lot of the time, it can be easy for people to look at any of us responding to anyone's post and think that we have got it all figured out but the truth is whilst a lot of us know how to deal with OCD and have had therapy to be able to help us deal with that, it doesn't mean we don't all have our good and bad moments with it. I don't like calling it relapsing, it's more of a blip. You don't lose anything you learned just because you did a compulsion. It just gives you something you need to work on a bit more.

I've had the last few weeks of just really stressful things going on in my life and as such OCD spiked and whilst most of it can be easily dismissed now some of it sticks and for that brief moment you do feel helpless to the OCD cycle again. Right now for me, it's been back to what if I somehow blurted out something offensive to someone, what if somehow semen touched someone else from when I was in the bathroom and got someone pregnant (the very thought of this one literally makes me not want to have a relationship that even remotely has a sexual component even though I would value having that kind of intimacy with a partner) and some other sexual or harm based intrusive thoughts and images. I can work through these though. These aren't invisible walls that somehow destroy all the progress I've made, it's just something I need to work on more. If to do that, I need to go back for another round of therapy, so be it.

There is a massive collective knowledge on the forum and that is great but hopefully seeing this post that has been made by @Kcbell92 shows that no one is perfect at dealing with OCD (and to a certain extent we probably shouldn't be trying to be perfect at getting rid of it as that's just a compulsion in itself). If I look back on what I was dealing with pre-therapy, I could barely cope with the sheer time taken up by rumination and other compulsions throughout the day. I've come very far in my understanding of OCD as well as progression through treatment of the condition. I think its really good to remind yourself of the progress you have made instead of only looking at what you still have left to do some more work with.

It is fine and it is normal to have ups and downs with OCD, you aren't a failure if you do a compulsion or feel overwhelmed at times by OCD. Ultimately we are all here to support each other and for everyone to have a place to discuss their difficulties/challenges of OCD or their lived experience for how they dealt with things.

I appreciate you understanding, and speaking of my situation as an example to that dont be ashamed if you do relapse for many different reasons, however i dont want people to think its okay to begin wanting to ruminate but more to learn from your ocd relapse and grow from it. Tomorrow is always a better day, and everything is going to work out. You make your life and yourselves therefore your mindset, what you want to! by the way like every time before the issue i had in my mind with my friend worked itself out again today 

9 hours ago, Kcbell92 said:

I appreciate you understanding, and speaking of my situation as an example to that dont be ashamed if you do relapse for many different reasons, however i dont want people to think its okay to begin wanting to ruminate but more to learn from your ocd relapse and grow from it. Tomorrow is always a better day, and everything is going to work out. You make your life and yourselves therefore your mindset, what you want to! by the way like every time before the issue i had in my mind with my friend worked itself out again today 

Yeah sorry if my post made it seem like that. I never intended for it to come across like someone should do compulsions but more if you did whilst its not great, it's just one compulsion it doesn't prevent you from recovering from OCD.

On 23/11/2022 at 04:07, DRS1 said:

Yeah sorry if my post made it seem like that. I never intended for it to come across like someone should do compulsions but more if you did whilst its not great, it's just one compulsion it doesn't prevent you from recovering from OCD.

It’s okay, you were trying to help!