A new experience

Hi all, I have just joined this forum but wanted to ask if anyone else has had this.

I'm 59 and suffered bad with intrusive thoughts most of my youth and up to my late 30s. 

For the last 20 odd years I have managed to live with them and not cause me much distress, but I saw a hypnotist this week to help me manage panic attacks before business meetings.

On my way to see her I had an intrusive thought, but whilst under hypnotism it came back and caused a massive panic attack and now the OCD thoughts are so strong I am starting to believe them again.

I would be interested if anyone else has had this experience?

Thanks for reading.

Viv

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Viv,

Intrusive thoughts are pretty much like a roller coaster experience, at times they are less bothersome, but then out of the blue it can flip you upside down and really catch you out.   I am not sure if that's what you were asking though?

The key thing I did pick up from your post was how you have bein 'managing' them for the last few years. We are perhaps all guilty of that too!   What I will say from our experiences is that by just managing our OCD that is why intrusive thoughts can get worse at times for periods, and why we will never fully be free from it. Unless we choose to challenge and deal with the OCD, and whilst I wont pretend that will be easy or guarantee recovery from OCD, it would at least give you a chance at recovery where you are not managing OCD but living life without the cycle of OCD.

We would recommend CBT for treating OCD.  CBT can also a good tool for dealing with work related stress and panic, although maybe applied with a different approach than we would OCD.

With best wishes, Ashley