Spouse contamination OCD

Hi All

My spouse suffers from contamination OCD. per therapist she has severe case. She has been suffering from last 15 months. She has not left the house in the last 3 months. 
She has tried multiple therapist during this time with no success. It seems she is not ready for ERP. 
She was very hesitant to try medication. She started Fluvoxamine 25mg around 10 days ago and need to up go up to 50mg for around 2 weeks. One side effect she is dealing with is insomnia and intermittent sleep. Her psychiatrist wants her to continue

should we expect these side effects to get worse with dose increase 

has anyone see  OCD symptoms improve with 50mg

14 hours ago, Lifewillbegood said:

Hi All

My spouse suffers from contamination OCD. per therapist she has severe case. She has been suffering from last 15 months. She has not left the house in the last 3 months. 
She has tried multiple therapist during this time with no success. It seems she is not ready for ERP. 
She was very hesitant to try medication. She started Fluvoxamine 25mg around 10 days ago and need to up go up to 50mg for around 2 weeks. One side effect she is dealing with is insomnia and intermittent sleep. Her psychiatrist wants her to continue

should we expect these side effects to get worse with dose increase 

has anyone see  OCD symptoms improve with 50mg

None of us are health professionals on here so we can't really say very much on medication but in a general sense it takes a while for the medication take effect (I think most SSRI's, or other anti depressants take about 6 weeks) and can have a lot of different side effects. From the side effect perspective, it depends. I think the question is typically can you tolerate the side effects. If you can and want to keep going, that's fine but if you find it too unbearable, then you don't need to. It's your wife's choice here, it's not settled by the psychiatrist. As far as any information on SSRI's goes through the NHS website, a lot of the side effects can pass but some may remain. 

For better information (and realistically more accurate information), it's worth contacting the psychiatrist to ask that question as they will be able to answer it.