Son is getting really bad really fast

My son has got bad intrusive thoughts 2 weeks ago and it detoriated really fast. Ive struggled with ocd so I can see clearly what it is. I've tried explaining ocd and thoughts and explained it's anxiety and to see the thoughts as anxiety and breath and refocus. It's completely consuming him and he is now tapping his head and shaking his head. He is usually a outgoing boy and confident and he has gotten really bad like he is stuck I've spoken to a cbt therapist and hope to get an appointment but it's like living in a nightmare. Please advise me.

Hi angels,

All credit to you for spotting the signs and being so proactive getting some help for your son so quickly. Do you know if there's anything that might have happened recently...something causing him more stress maybe at school that might be increasing his anxiety? It may just have struck out of the blue with no rhyme or reason, but it could be worth doing some digging just in case there's something underlying this that's upsetting him.

I'm not sure how old your son is? There are books geared towards helping young people, but if he's under ten the charity has a very good free 'Jolly and Grump' booklet explaining what OCD is in an accessible way. If it sounds like it might be helpful please feel free to get in touch with the charity at...

office@ocduk.org or give the team a call on 03332 120 703

....and they'll put one in the post to you.

It sounds like you're doing all you can...I wonder if there are any new activities he could get his teeth into and try that might help him with the refocusing?

I am encouraging him to separate himself from his thoughts  and to ignore them breath refocus, but he is really struggling and reacting by getting really anxious. Night time is the hardest when less distractions his compulsions are tapping his head and taking big breaths like panic attacks saying outloud to the thoughts I'd never do that. It's so hard to watch waking up each day he looks so sad at times and you can see him struggle. Just want my happy boy back. I've given him a band to ping on his arm instead of tapping. Hope to get professional help soon.

It must very difficult seeing him struggling so much, he must also be exhausted if he's so anxious and carrying out more compulsions just before trying to sleep. I think I'd try two things there that might help...could you help him work at holding-off the tapping for a few minutes, then 10, then half an hour and so on, aiming for holding-off until the following day. Maybe sell it to him as a challenge...can we improve on last night's achievement, just as someone in sport might do with a personal best in their running, that kind of thing.

I wonder if it would also help to fill those gaps along with what you've been doing helping him with the breathing exercises...to listen to some music or maybe an audiobook might be worth considering. An audiobook might be better than music because hopefully he'll become more engaged with the story and what will happen next, and less focused on the thoughts. 

He's very lucky having you there for him, I'd be tempted though to do away with the band. I know it seems like a good idea but it's really only swapping one compulsion for another. He really needs to slowly work at breaking that cycle, but definitely keep going with reminding him the thoughts are intrusive and however scary they are...they're not important.