Radiation, eyes and a potential disaster...

Hi everyone 

I have to get major eye surgery done. One option is the NHS but I would have to lie in a certain position for a whole week 24/7 except for 5 mins in every hour. I know it would be devestating to my mental health. Another option is to go private and this surgical option would mean they can carry out the surgery using a procedure which would not require me to stay in a certain position. The problem is that the private option requires me to fly to London, the first option is in the local hospital.

I have an INTENSE fear of radioactivity-you will remember my preious posts and I am terrified of going in a plane and the plane getting struck by lightning as apparently you can get a high dose of radiation. I would also feel unbearably responsible for going for this private option and then something happening my mum because of the plane getting struck by lighting. All I can think of is what is the chance our plane will be struck by lightning.

What is peoples advice on this. I am terrified, stressed and worried. Will this situation flood me, is it too much of an exposure or will I regret not taking this risk because of my sight?

Please help.

Thanks

Edited by Robin43
  • Robin43 changed the title to Radiation, eyes and a potential disaster...

What if the plane got stuck by lighting, what if something happened to my mum because of the first what if, what if I feel really bad about the second what if. You seem to building a story in your head where the worst possible outcome (for you) leads to a second worst possible outcome which in turn leads to a third worst possible outcome. At each stage of your scenario building you think of the worst possible outcome. Your anxiety is being feed by this scenario building. Anxiety is future thinking and those of us with OCD the future thinking is negative and pessimistic.

The dilemma (flooding vis-a-vis regret) that you have constructed can only be resolved by you. A stranger cannot tell you about flooding and you. But you could talk through the options with your therapist. Statistically the risks are low.  But in all things there are risks including crossing the road. The risk of being in a car and having a mishap is much greater per passenger mile than having a mishap on a plane.

@PolarBearyes you are right. When I spent almost 2 full years researching sbout smoke detectors and radiation I came across info about flying and radiation and now I don't know how I am going to cope with getting on a plane and then coping with the unknown forever.