Over 50s Zoom OCD Support Group

Hello to us older folks :)

I noticed a few over 50s on Nick's thread, and I wondered if anybody would welcome an 'over 50s' OCD Support Group?  I was hosting monthly last year, but interest dwindled so ive not restarted yet this year.

Laura runs wonderful support groups for people of all ages, but sometimes it can be helpful to reaching out to people of a similar age bracket.. people who remember struggling with OCD at a time before mobile phones and the internet :D

Feel free to email or post on here if such a group is of interest and I will look to restart it.

14 hours ago, northpaul said:

I am sitting on the fence on this one.  In principle I will talk to anyone but I do have some small difficulties at times with verbal communication (aphasia due to CVD).

Sorry to hear that northpaul.  Are you having any treatment for the condition?  You could take backseat in any support group. Would it be easier to communicate via text rather than verbally?

3 hours ago, Angst said:

Are you having any treatment for the condition?

Thanks Angst.  Not having professional help at this point in time but I do go on another health related forum where I can communicte with fellow sufferers.  When people are aware of the issue thet give me more time to speak (typically mid-sentence when my brain goes blank).

When out and about I wear a Sunflower lanyard and badge.  Most people give me more time and space when they see that.  Tesco staff are trained to recognise the Sunflower lanyard scheme and make allowance for my disability.

Wether I am dealing with OCD, CVD or anything else it is all a learning process.  I like learning!

4 hours ago, northpaul said:

When out and about I wear a Sunflower lanyard and badge.

I've just had to google this as I had no idea what the Sunflower scheme was. Great idea!

I shall spread the word among people I know for sure. :)

16 hours ago, MarieJo said:

Yes. Just turned 50.

Me too... im not handling it well and was in denial but the team got me a 50 balloon for the office to remind me :D

Joking aside, I will set the first group up, I am away in April but will see if I can squeeze in, if not perhaps for early May.    Any preference for what evening of the week people prefer.  I usually do a Tue or Wed.  

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Me too... im not handling it well and was in denial but the team got me a 50 balloon for the office to remind me :D

Joking aside, I will set the first group up, I am away in April but will see if I can squeeze in, if not perhaps for early May.    Any preference for what evening of the week people prefer.  I usually do a Tue or Wed.  

I didn't relish hitting 50 either, it sounds terribly grown up 😂 I still feel 25 but when I look in the mirror I realise that I'm really not lol.

Either Tues or Weds are fine with me.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I am 51 !!! Can’t believe it 😂

either day is fine

I'm going to put in one vote for Wednesdays if possible please. But I'll try to attend whatever day it is and appreciate some months it does have to change day to accomodate your other commitments. [ :football:  ]

3 hours ago, snowbear said:

appreciate some months it does have to change day to accomodate your other commitments. [ :football:  ]

Snowbear, don't give my secrets away, I can't fib and pretend it's for official work business now. lol

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Snowbear, don't give my secrets away, I can't fib and pretend it's for official work business now. lol

A man of your advancing years :Old:  is allowed a life outside of the charity. [ :lol:  ] 

No shame in needing to reschedule now and then. Own it and be happy. :D