Over 50s Zoom OCD Support Group

Haven't looked at this forum in months and this is the first thread I see...  how fitting. Yes, I would definately welcome this, (I'm not quite there yet though, turning fifty in December this year.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have added two dates and they are open for registration.

• Wed 10th May - 5:30pm
  • Wed 7th June - 5:30pm

You can register freely here - https://www.ocduk.org/support-groups/online/   (scroll down to the themed groups section).  In order to register you now need to have a Zoom account and the latest version of Zoom will always need to be installed to access the meetings.  This is a new requirement due to a Zoom bug we have had to force the setting that needs users on the latest Zoom.   Let me know if anyone needs help updating.

I have moved the meetings forward from 6pm to 5:30pm, however, if people work wish to attend I will look to make slightly later for future meetings. 

It's not rigid 50+, if you're very late 40s that's fine too.

13 minutes ago, snowbear said:

@Ashley  I'm getting a message 'this group is for authorised registrations only' and telling me to try an alternative email address, but I used the email I am registered to here.

Anybody else had the same problem?

The Zoom wording isn't overly helpful. 

Due to a recent Zoom bug we have to force users to register for Zoom and have the latest Zoom software before they can access the meeting.  What the error message means is you need to register for a Zoom account first, and then register for the meeting.  If you already have a Zoom account you need to be logged into Zoom, in order to register for the meeting.

You can register for a free Zoom account here - https://zoom.us/signup#/signup

You will also need to have the latest version of Zoom downloaded on your device Snowbear.  To update Zoom on your device follow these steps:

If you already have the Zoom desktop client installed, check for updates:

• Sign in to Zoom desktop client.
  • Click your profile picture then click Check for Updates.

Screenshot available here - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362233-Updating-Zoom-to-the-latest-version#:~:text=Sign in to Zoom desktop,will download and install it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again...   thank you to everyone who joined last week. It was a good discussion, good to be back.. less good I am now in the groups age bracket :D

The next meeting is booked in for Wednesday 7th June at 5:30pm.  Click here to book - https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUudeqvqzkuHN1AQ_jRvE2f08u884FpCFfD#/registration

If anybody would like to suggest a theme for the next meeting, I am open to suggestions. 

Hello BRG.

It's an opportunity for those who've dealt with OCD for many years to come together.  Whilst nature of the beast mean peoples experiences vary, I do try and keep the focus on recovery or moving forward with positive steps. 

Generally a very nice open group, on average 10-16 people from around the UK attend. 

You can register freely here - https://www.ocduk.org/support-groups/online/   (scroll down to the themed groups section).  In order to register you now need to have a Zoom account and the latest version of Zoom will always need to be installed to access the meetings.  This is a new Zoom requirement, there is a post above on how to update your version of Zoom to the latest.  

Ashley :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder there is a meeting for the over 50s group this afternoon at 5:30pm, or as someone cheekily referred to us, 'seniors' 🤣  Click here to register.    If anybody is new to online support groups through Zoom if you post before 4pm today I will try and reach out to help you with the technology. A reminder for those with Zoom on their devices already, the group settings do require you to have the latest version of Zoom to access the meeting so you may wish to do that in advance, instructions further up the thread. 

On 18/05/2023 at 01:31, BRG said:

Yes, interested. Can you tell us anymore about it, and what is the url please.

Sorry BRG I missed your post before.  We run weekly online support groups for all ages (click here for all group dates/links), but once a month I host a group for those slightly older 50+ (not strict on this, if you're in the age ballpark you can join). We usually have 8-15 people at the group, varying ages but I would guess average age 50-65.   It's an opportunity to talk about OCD or how it impacts in a setting with people of a similar age bracket.  I try and keep the group recovery focused in always thinking about 'what can I try next?' and it's nice to see some wins most months.   You're welcome to join by just sitting and listening if it's your first time to the group, or you're welcome to talk or comment if you feel comfortable to do so :)

We use Zoom technology for the groups, and although you don't need an OCD-UK account, you do need a Zoom account (free to register) before you can register/access our groups.  Register for Zoom here.

Thank you to everyone that joined last night, a record number of people for this group, and what a lovely supportive and positive group.   I have added the next two meeting dates in for July and August, and as discussed last night moved the start times back to 6pm.

• 50+ OCD Support Group - Wed 19th July  (6:00pm)
  • 50+ OCD Support Group - Wed 16th August  (6:00pm)

You can now book for either or both meetings on our website here.

There was also a suggestion for themes for each meeting, and last we discussed how different we perceive discussion around OCD or mental health as we have got older.  Anyone joining next month is welcome to comment on that theme and I am open to suggested themes for next month, feel free to email me or post below. 

• Ashley changed the title to Over 50s Zoom OCD Support Group
  • 1 month later...
On 19/07/2023 at 15:57, snowbear said:

Don't think I'm going to be able to make it to tonight's group, Ashley. But hoping to get to the next one in August.

Hope to see you next time Snowy, we had 15 people on this weeks meeting I think.   The continuing runover discussion point/theme for next month is..  How do you talk about OCD to a friend or family member when intrusive thoughts bombarding with taboo subjects.  How do you tell someone, when do you tell then.