How do I go about getting treatment on the Nhs

10 minutes ago, welterwhite said:

My intrusive thoughts are quite taboo and I’d rather not go through another horror episode how do I go about getting a real Ocd therapist on the NHS or is that not even possible at this point 

I think it depends on the area. You can go to your GP and get referred from there or in some areas you can refer yourself.

I would go through your GP. That's what i did although it was a long time ago. There are many self-help books, the one that helped me the most was "Brain Lock" by Jeffrey M Schwartz.  Since then i have found Ali Greymond Videos on utube which are free. Good Luck.

3 hours ago, ocd veteran said:

Since then i have found Ali Greymond Videos on utube which are free. Good Luck.

Big red flags here (I need to get a red flag icon).  I have seen enough on social media of concerned people I trust to suggest this place/person may be one to be cautious about.  We would not recommend as a substitute to real therapy from a real therapist.

Hi Ashley.

First of all i wasn't suggesting this person be an alternative to a Proper therapist. I only  mentioned this person because after 47 years of severe suffering it helped me far more than anything previously! It may well be that i had reached a stage where it suited me because of my Intensive thearapy and progression which had gone on for decades; I won't mention this person again if you think it is in any way negative, sorry. I will stick with specific answers for individual questions.

I came to the conclusion that most people need some therapy at different points in their life depending on numerous factors; childhood and how that shaped their thinking and responses, events that happen during their life and how to move on from them. (Therapists should be as available as GP's).

So I would ask the therapist at the end of a therapy, to recommend a book that would give me greater insight. Just my personal approach🙂