Has anyone had positive results with Nathan Peterson OCD on youtube videos?

Has anyone had positive results with Nathan Peterson OCD on youtube videos? Last couple of days, I thought they were good, sensible etc, but can anyone say if he is on the right path with this OCD?

Thanks

5 hours ago, BRG said:

Has anyone had positive results with Nathan Peterson OCD on youtube videos? Last couple of days, I thought they were good, sensible etc, but can anyone say if he is on the right path with this OCD?

Thanks

There is definitely information there yes, but those videos are only really snippets into OCD and how to get better overall. A self help book would probably be the most beneficial tool to understand OCD and how to get yourself free from its twisted logic

6 hours ago, BRG said:

Thanks

I have not really heard of him, so I had a look this morning and it seems his online content is not too dissimilar a dozen or so other US based therapists with glossy socials/videos, mainly all gloss with no substance.  That said, his seem better than most and much of the content looked ok, but at a guess too generic to help someone not already in recovery.  However, I agree with DRS1 that a self-help book is going to be far more beneficial in applying learnings to your own situation.  

I don't really know how private therapy accreditation works in the US, or how much training someone needs to have to call themselves a therapist. His accreditation LCSW seems to suggest Licensed Clinical Social Worker.  So if looking to engage someone to be your therapist, check on their suitability beyond accreditation acronyms, past training is helpful but often doesn't mean someones passed a test, just they have attended training, clinical experience also worth checking on as a guide that they have experience in the field beyond own practice.  Also, it's important to remember that just because one therapist helped person A does not mean they are right for person B.  I guess if paying private you can always pay for one session at a time, and get a feeling if right for you before committing to more sessions.  If after 5-10 sessions you're not seeing any progress, even slight, ask questions if this is right for you too.

Thank you DRS1 and Ashley - thank you for replying.

Is there a good plain English book, with maybe explanations and exercises to complete, that you would recommend?

Also, is there any mileage to having an audio tape or audio file that I should listen to in bed - indeed - if I should be listening to any sound file in bed, is this bad for recovery?

I should say (although I don't know to what extent) that I also have sleep anxiety and lack of sleep only getting about 4 to 5 hours per night. So I'm generally anxious, and also anxious about going to bed about 3pm

For past 15 years been going to bed about 6am in the morning, but now I'm also trying to change my sleep pattern to maybe 1.30am to 2am bed, and about 8am rise.

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, BRG said:

Hi, is there youtube videos that anyone could recommend? Or, a person/therapist/psychologist they could recommend on youtube?

Many thanks

I'd be wary of people/"therapists" or psychologists on YouTube however, OCD-UK have conference videos that cover a whole host of different topics within OCD.

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I just found this post as I was searching for previous posts on Nathan Peterson as my friend has had success with his videos. Particularly his "maybe, maybe not" approach has been useful to them. 

The idea is that an OCD thought pops into their head, and they say "maybe, maybe not". They don't have to really believe that it doesn't matter, as the phrase implies, but just get used to that being the response. And you don't actually think about what the maybe means, or what the maybe not means, you just say it as a flippant response.

Another thing is, if they start to get a new rumination, they say "wow I would love that to become a new OCD thing for me. wouldn't that be fantastic, I would just love to add that to my list."  I'm not sure if that's another Nathan Peterson thing or not. 

I was going to start trying it myself. If anyone has thoughts on these particular approaches I'd be interested to hear. It's the only thing that has really helped my friend so far.

Thank you!

Edited by Hedgehog