Is this forum now a compulsion of mine?

I come on this forum multiple times a day and sometimes scroll for hours when I'm feeling bad. I'm worried I'm now using this as a comfort/reassurance. Do you agree?

Hello JonDoe and welcome to the forums.

I come on to the forums wether I am feeling good or bad.  At the end of my CBT therapy about 18 months back I asked my therapist if there were any groups where I could share my experience of OCD and my recovery journey.  Due to COVID all local groups had stopped.  My therapist did recommend OCD-UK so I contacted them and I could see that it fitted what I was looking for:

• To help other people by sharing my own life experience with OCD and my recovery progress
  • To learn from other people about their recovery journeys

Instead of comfort/reassurance I would prefer to use the term 'encouragement' - both ways.

It could be. When I was really anxious a while back I found myself compulsively checking the forum a lot and reading a lot of posts. I think I did this because in a way I wanted to be reassured that there were others out there who were feeling just as bad as me and therefore I wasn't alone. I would also check posts with a similar theme to mine and see if what they said matched with my themes and in that way it would reassure me that my issue was OCD.

A way to assess whether it is a compulsion is does it have a compulsive drive to it, like if you refused to check the forum say for a day how would that make you feel? Would your anxiety go up or could you easily do without checking it?

On 23/05/2023 at 10:35, JonDoe said:

I come on this forum multiple times a day and sometimes scroll for hours when I'm feeling bad. I'm worried I'm now using this as a comfort/reassurance. Do you agree?

It sounds that you’re spending too much time on this forum. Stop doing it for a while and see what happens. This is a repeat of Lynz’s point. But checking emails, texts, social media etc is a great problem for many. You could do a lot of creative things in the time you spend looking.

Absolutely could be used for reassurance but it is very easy to come here when things are tough and then not when they are better.

I would suggest if you come on here then try and reply to at least one post with some help