OCD is costing me so much money

Hi everyone, I am really struggling at the moment with my OCD. It is costing me so much money, I want everything to be perfect in terms of the possessions I belong and if there is a mark on an item, (depending on the value of it), I often replace it. It has now got even worse as a ball I threw for my dog hit my laptop that I bought six months ago and after weeks of hibernation and resisting, I've gone and bought a new laptop which has instantly made me feel better. My OCD brain was saying you either give up on life or you just replace the item one more time. I can't do this anymore, this chain is never going to end, it will always be one more time. I'm embarrassed, it's almost like an addiction. I don't want to do this but I'm to embarrassed to talk about it when I next meet the psychological wellbeing therapist at my local GP surgery. :( 

Edited by SeaBreeze

I think telling your therapist will be beneficial. Rather than being embarrassed, see it as a way to explain just how badly your screwed up OCD thinking is affecting your life.

I reckon my OCD has cost somewhere in the region of £40,000 over the decades. But if I could choose, I'd have the years lost to OCD back again rather than the money.

Start to challenge that screwed up thinking that things have to be perfect!

Start sitting out the discomfort to teach your brain that things not feeling perfect is ok. And that the bad feeling goes away once you change your thinking/ viewpoint.

23 hours ago, snowbear said:

I think telling your therapist will be beneficial. Rather than being embarrassed, see it as a way to explain just how badly your screwed up OCD thinking is affecting your life.

I reckon my OCD has cost somewhere in the region of £40,000 over the decades. But if I could choose, I'd have the years lost to OCD back again rather than the money.

Start to challenge that screwed up thinking that things have to be perfect!

Start sitting out the discomfort to teach your brain that things not feeling perfect is ok. And that the bad feeling goes away once you change your thinking/ viewpoint.

Thank you so much. Yes, I agree with you. :)