Hi everybody,

So it’s safe to say, I had zero luck with Aripiprazole. One side effect just wasn’t worth it so my psychiatrist has prescribed me Risperidone instead. I’m pretty nervous I’ve seen ‘jerky movements’ as a possible common side effect, so I just wanted to ask if anybody has had experience with this or this medication at all? I’m pretty apprehensive but even trying it is an exposure. 

Summer9173 two questions for you:

1. Have you actually started this medication
  2. If so, are you actually suffering any side effects?

This a quote from an NHS site about this medication: 

Serious side effects

Serious side effects are rare and happen in less than 1 in 1,000 people.

Any other side effects are rated between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 100,000.

In terms of OCD behaviours all the 'whats ifs' are an intolerence of uncertainty.  I find with meds that if I dont give them a serious try then I will never know if I will get any positive benefit from them.  Perhaps you could try thinking 'this med might do me some good'.

Start positive 🙂

4 hours ago, Summer9173 said:

One side effect just wasn’t worth it so my psychiatrist has prescribed me Risperidone instead.

I once read two pieces of research on this, one said it could work for some, but usually if not working quickly (I think it said 4 weeks) it’s unlikely to help. 

The other research compared using alongside CBT which suggested it was no better than a placebo for OCD treatment. 

I have not read any common stories of side effects, but of course this is possible. All meds run this risk of course.

So I do hope it’s helpful for you, and worth giving it time but if not working after a few weeks consult the prescribing doctor. 

Hi summer, 

I have been on risperidone before, and was told by my psychiatrist that using an antipsychotic alongside an antidepressant may help- so it’s definitely worth a try :) One thing I would recommend with risperidone is to ask for a blood test to check your prolactin level after you have settled on your dose for a while. Risperidone can lead to it increasing more than some other antipsychotics. My psychiatrist didn’t tell me about this until I had some side effects that suggested it. I hope I’m not doing the wrong thing but telling you this but it’s just something to be aware of :) I’ve spoke to a few people also who have found risperidone to be really helpful in treating their ocd, as well as helping manage other mh conditions. Let us know how you get on x 

7 hours ago, Summer9173 said:

I’ve seen ‘jerky movements’ as a possible common side effect

The information leaflet that comes with medication is there so that if someone gets a new symptom they can check if it might  be related to the drug they have been prescibed before contacting their doctor about it.

It's not intended to be a 'watch out in case' :omg_smilie: scenario.  Don't treat it as one.

Understandably you're nervous about any new medication after the symptoms you had last time. But try to treat this as a clean slate and not get caught up in obsessive-style thinking  that 'There was a problem with one thing before so there's going to be problems with everything in future.'

Trust your psychiatrist. Given the risperidone a go. IF you get a symptom you think might be a side-effect THEN feeling anxious would be reasonable and you can take action to sort it as necessary (contact your doctor.)

Don't waste energy anticipating things that haven't even happened and get anxious over something that might never happen.  :)

14 hours ago, Handy said:

You take so many medicines Sumner, I'm wondering what you're wanting to happen?

I don’t take a lot, i take Propranalol and escitalopram I don’t think that’s a lot? Even if I did take ‘so many medicanes’ it wouldn’t matter either, medication is there to help manage symptoms as @foreverobsessing said. :) 

Thank you everybody for your advice. :) 

I’m going to give it a try tonight. It’s not just for OCD, I struggle with really bad depression the week before my period (PMDD) so hopefully that helps a little more too. 

On 04/06/2023 at 08:12, Summer9173 said:

I don’t take a lot, i take Propranalol and escitalopram I don’t think that’s a lot? Even if I did take ‘so many medicanes’ it wouldn’t matter either, medication is there to help manage symptoms as @foreverobsessing said. :) 

Symptoms are not the cause.  A person can't cure a cold by treating the symptoms.  Intensive psychotherapy is shown to do very good for OCD core beliefs.  Today's medical model us to talk to the patient for an hour & give them drugs & more drugs for the side effects & etc & have them come back in 3 months. This way they see more patients & make more money.