Mouse infestation very stressed

Guest kazzam34

Guest kazzam34

Am really worried because last weekend we found some mouse droppings and since then the mouse situation is getting worse and worse. After finding the droppings in the cupboard and our babies toy box at the weekend we have had such a good clean up, I've washed her toys loads, we've disinfectant sprayed the house and then today - horror of horrors - we found droppings all over her highchair, under her cot and in the tray under her highchair where we were keeping some of her chewy toys. They were right at the bottom so am now worried that the toys she has chewed have been infected. My husband keeps reminding me that they spread disease - I don't know what to do, am so afraid that the baby has already been infected with something as a result of chewing her toys. He looked up on the internet and told me about Huntas Virus which is potentially fatal and now I'm beside myself. We are doing everything to combat the mouse, setting up traps etc but what if my child has already been infected by something from chewing on toys which have been in contact with a mouse?

I don't know what to do, as she isn't actually sick yet so it's not really as if I can ask a doctor. What do people think? anybody had similar experiences that turned out alright?

Kazzam

Guest Creative Cat

Hello Kazzam,

I've heard from my brother that you need to find any small openings inside your house where the mice/rats could be entering. My brother thought he had sealed everything in their old house, but then found a hole under their stove where the mouse was entering. Hope this helps,

Creative Cat

Guest mummywithocd

oh Kazzam, I feel for you in this situation I really do. When my little boy was born we got infested with cockroaches ! Yes I know.....they were coming up through my drains in the sink and the overflow holes. (we live in a hot country where these types of bugs are the norm in summer)

Anyway, my stress levels and ocd weht through the roof-completely sympathise with you.

What about an exterminater? have you thought about contacting one?

Best of luck.

Guest Creative Cat

Hi Kazzam,

Getting an indoor cat might help. I'll bet the cat would detect where exactly they're coming from. We have 2 indoor cats and whenenver I see them focusing on a particular spot there's usually a spider there that they are trying to catch! They're great little detectives.

Creative Cat

Edited by Creative Cat
Guest kazzam34

Thank you. We have taken some steps ourselves to get rid of the mouse, like laying traps and poison (OCD through the roof about this one as have contamination fears!). Are being fastidious about fastening up all food, vaccuuming up food scraps (our son is a very messy eater), closing up a gap between the garage and the house plus one or two other ideas off the internet. If that doesn't work then we will get the exterminator in - I was just a bit worried as the one I read about comes and sprays the house with a 'family friendly' spray but that bothers me because of my fear of chemicals.

It didn't help that my husband said on the internet that poor hygiene attracted mice, and then said it was because I won't use cleaning chemicals in the house (I, being me personally. My husband does use them on the surfaces). and then Huntas Virus was mentioned, so the combination of it all = I am unhygienic + because of OCD I don't use chemicals = baby will get sick = will all be my fault !

But then when I talk to people - like you rightly pointed out - loads of them have had mice problems, including really house proud people so nothing actually to do with me. Where we live it is our Autumn, coming in to Winter so is the right time for outside creatures to be coming in.

Thanks for all your comments, they have been a great help.

Kazzam