argh words in my head!!!

Guest sillygirl!

Guest sillygirl!

I never usually write on here when I've had a really bad OCD day, I try to go it alone but today has just been bloody awful and I need to know that I'm not on my own!!!

Does anyone else get words repeating over and over in their head? Sometimes sentences or songwords- sometimes the words might not even make any sense and then sometimes it could be words you dont like or find offensive like swearing? It feels like my heads a stuck record.

And then I get really scared that I might say something out loud and then i start to think omg, maybe I have tourettes??!!!

I have always been a born worrier...if its not one idea or word or fixation, then it will be something else but each time it seems to get worse, like I'm trying to scare myself?

On the outside I seem completely together and normal and little would you know what strange things are going inside my head! I appear to be any other fairly fashionable 20 something walking round topshop on her lunch hour... :(

Please somebody write back - I need some help.

xx

Hi there. I know what you mean, I have really random words stuck in my head sometimes. It's really annoying. I think people with OCD tend to be born worriers too - it's like a vicious circle.

Are you getting any help for your OCD? It's good that you posted on here - you don't need to suffer alone, we all understand what it's like. xxx

Hey sg,

its definitely our old friend ocd :)

I've often had troubles with exactly this sort of thing - where my mind gets stuck on a silly image (its not words so much for me) that I just can't get rid of... it might not be a distressing one, but it often drives me nuts and then magical thinking gets involved...ergh.

I know what you mean about 'scaring yourself'. My psychologist said when I do this, its almost like I am testing myself to see if this image/ thought still upsets me.

I also get the fear of shouting something out coprolalia style, but thankfully its never happened.

Guest anon111

Hi,

I know exactly what you all mean. Words, songs and images get stuck in my head the whole time. Most of the time they are irrelant meaningless things but sometimes they can be nasty sexual intrusive ones(images). On 40mg of fluoxetine at the mo. I go back to see psych at the end of the month. Thinking of going to my first support group session on Monday. Hope i don't bump into anyone i know cos not one person on this plant knows i suffer from ocd. Bit nervous about it all.

Was wondering how you all deal with these kind of thoughts?? I just try and let them all be there and try my best to let them pass through my head no matter how nasty they are. It can be hard but i think i'm going about it the right way? any thoughts??

cheers,

Anon.

Guest PrincessJenna

I get words, phrases and sometimes even syllables stuck in my head. As of late it is the words "She" and "Thank You" :shrug:

I don't get where they come from but I wish they would go away.

I do often worry I am going to say things inappropriatly as well. I have a few physical tics and am terrified that I will develop vocal ones as well.

You are def. not alone on this one.

~jenna

I often think of this as one of the 'O'/ obsession parts of OCD. Like, somehow our brains are more prone to get stuck on these images/ words. Because even if I follow advice and let the thoughts stay without supressing them, they still remain stuck in my head.

As an example, when I was at school I used to have an image of a red ball going round my leg on a string. So, not horrible just wierd. But it would not go away, and it started to really upset me that I couldn't get rid of this thing. So I would image putting the ball in a box and sending it into space :D But a second later, it was back. I so wish I had known about my OCD then!

Do you think its actually a faulty function of brain biology with us?

Hi Nima

I understand it as a 'faulty' shortcut in the wiring. The message goes that way as it is a well used path, but if we can fight through the undergrowth and create a new path and keep using that it becomes the normal one and the other becomes disused.

I think it is a chemical path, but I'm no scientist!

Stella :original:

Guest Gryphon

Hi ya,

Well its a crazy thing this OCD malarky, its going to sound slightly mad this but if your having really bad thoughts, agree with them they are after all just thoughts and mean nothing AT ALL, there is no way on this planet that you would either say or do anything you are currently thinking.

If you give the circle of thoughts food they will eat and carry on going round and round, just agree with them they are just thoughts that most people have and will dismiss.

You know you are a worrier and not all people are the same it just plays around alot longer with people who have OCD.

Hang in there,

Break the cycle, let the thoughts be there, they after all mean nothing

Wx