Tunes that mess my head up

Guest Tulsas

When I read people having obsessive thoughts I always wonder if they are like mine...Do people with ocd have mental pictures that upset them or do they think horrible thoughts like'I hope this guy has bad luck' (or worse) because although I do have the horrible thoughts that ruin most of my days a lot of them are like songs that play over and over in your head...how stupid is this...I hum a normal tune that i've heard on the radio and then all of a sudden the words to that tune is changed to something else..Something that upsets me.can't explain on line exactly how this works but does anyone else have tunes that go through their head that upsets or annoy them....tunes that ruminates itself

I believe everyone's got that. Perhaps OCD can make it more extreme? I don't know.

To me it's often the first tune I hear in the morning. And it's often always a crappy one too which gets stuck! (ARGH! That's annoying constantly humming on a song you just can't stand!)

I also have a handful of regular ones I haven't heard for years which pops up once in a while. Like they're stored in a library somewhere up there. Weird.

A good trick, for me at least, is to just listen to some other music. That'll normally erase the annoying one from my mind.

:lol:

Guest postalpostie

are you saying that you are able to change the lyrics to the same tune?

or the original lyrics take on a different shape?

or you just can't get the song out of your head.

i'm sorry because i'm trying to understand.

Guest twoshoes
I do have the horrible thoughts that ruin most of my days a lot of them are like songs that play over and over in your head...how stupid is this...I hum a normal tune that i've heard on the radio and then all of a sudden the words to that tune is changed to something else.

Yes, some of the words morph into horrid and unpleasant things. Because they come packaged in a catchy tune it is even harder to try and dismiss the words. i have a particulary nasty sentence that goes to the tune of "Wiggle it" 90's **** seems to be the genre that OCD prefers. So not only do I have the annoying song looping, that many others suffer and seems common where you have OCD or not, but I have the unplesant words to go with it. :lol: :censored::censored: NASTY!

Sometimes I hear things too, they must be in my head because they can't come from anywhere else but they appear to be heard, ai if they were "real" noises. This is annoying and embarrasing :censored:

No help, sorry!

Take care!

Hi

Nothing new to add here, but i guess i also have songs in my head that from time to time can be particularly appropriate for my ocd. I wish it was 90s **** as mentioned in other posts, but sadly it is not. It tends to be stuff that i quite like and as a result it begins to take on a new meaning for me, so i guess then i create a compulsion in avoiding it.

I think this applies however to any kind of life event really. In my pre ocd days a lot of songs would take significance to me and what was going on in my life. When i split up with my fiance that dreadful Kylie song 'I just cant get you out of my head' was having saturation coverage on the radio. Not a nice reminder!

Still i guess the best way to deal with them is to override them with another song. Why not have a top ten prepared!!

See ya

Adam

Guest Brainstrain

Hi

I don't find I change the lyrics but that my mind starts interpreting the words in a different way to fit with whatever current ocd thoughts I'm having. If I'm listening and singing along to a man singing a song about a woman I have to make sure I change the word if he says 'girl' or 'lady' etc otherwise it will mean that I am gay and an secretly singin it to some girl I secretly fancy. Or if there is a song about wanting to be with someone you're not or someone you have broken up with my mind tells me I am secretly feeling that about my ex from over 2 years ago which I am not, I don't even feel enough passion for him to hate him if you know what I mean! The difficult thing for me is that I'm a Musician and therefore music is my world but it's like to ocd is even trying to turn my favourite music against me now, just like with tv programmes and films I now even have to be careful about what songs I listen to!

Brainstrain ;)

Hi Brainstrain

I guess your last post is what i was trying to say in mine. You link certain things with certain triggers and before you know it you are avoiding these songs, films etc. But this should not be a reason to stop you from making music...in fact totally the opposite.

One characteristic of ocders is that they tend to be rather creative. Why not try to channel some of the frustration that ocd causes you into your music? I wish sometimes i played an instrument to be honest. I know it is never too late i guess, but i'm sure i have enough things to put it off with now. Still i'm sure if i could play then this may be another way to vent my anger re having ocd

See ya

Adam