Sympathy, empathy and understanding.

Guest twoshoes

Guest twoshoes

Hi,

I just wanted to share this thought with you all.

Recently I have noticed a alot of people on the board worrying over how well non-sufferers understand their OCD. I wonder if we aren't spending too much time trying to get people too unstand OUR OCD rather than just accept it.

I am all for educating people on OCD and have already started my more open approach to others, I tell them and if they are interested I will explain more. I never expect that they will understand what my OCD means to me but they do listen and take it on board.

My Mother has a number of chronic health problems the main ones being, rhuematoid arthritis, leg ulcers (which cause her to have an amputation 2 years ago) and complications arising from these things and the medication. She has never asked me to understand how she is feeling...she knows I never could, I could never imagine the pain or the difficulties she faces everyday, just like me and my OCD.

I love my Mom and I wish there was something I could do, but it's esier if I accept the way she is and support her the best I can.

I think sometimes we expect too much of our supporters, How can I explain it to my husband when I don't understand it myself.

In a nutshell...2 people stubb their toes it will hurt, they accept that they both have felt the pain but the pain may have been different, try explaining to someone how a stubbed toe feels if they have never felt that type of pain...How you going to explain YOUR personal OCD.

I am sorry if this make you feel a little more alone with your OCD that was not my intention, I just thought it would be better if we sought support, empathy and acceptance rather than sympathy and understanding.

Many thanks and take care,

Twoshoes

Guest ScottOCDid

Hi folks,

I really agree with Kirstie on this one:

- Education about OCD= Understanding about OCD= Acceptance of OCD.

38376[/snapback]

I think "acceptance" is the key - both for sufferers and non-sufferers. I believe the education message must be delivered to non-sufferers, because the very nature of the condition (as described in so many threads on this board) means that people will need to grasp an understanding before they are able/ willing to accept.

So let's all hang together and spread the message to the world! :)

S :)

Guest rpeders3

I agree totally. It takes sanctified wisdom to disclose all the details of our OCD struggles. Some people just don't have a clue what OCD is like. The same goes for depression. Well-meaning people often mistakenly advise, 'Just get over it already,' as though one could somehow muster up enough strength to 'get over it'. On the other hand, those of us who struggle with OCD have too much a tendency to victimize ourselves - 'I can't live responsibly because I have OCD. We have to come to grips with the fact that we have OCD, yeah, but everyone has their own problems. Ours just happens to be OCD. I really wish none of us had OCD. In a perfect world we wouldn't. But we live in the world in which we live and we have to live fully and passionately. So, yeah, 'acceptance' is a big issue here. We should also strive to live better lives and use all the means God has given us for that end.

Randy :grin: