Feel so Down and fed up

Guest Gary

hey guys , i went away for the weekend and was really looking forward to it but when i was there i just had these thoughts all day long, one after the other when ever i got them i would say stop and they would but it was just a battle the whole time. i was ruminating the whole time and jus couldnt enjoy myself. :D . when i was with my younger cousins i had thoughts of abusing them , when i was with my family i had thoughts of harming them and when i looked at their parrot i even had thoughts of harming them. ocd is telling me things the whole time and its driving me mad. things like " i will harm people when i have confidence" :mad: and that i would enjoy doing theses things and i actually started believing i would enjoy harming people :) but i wouldnt but i actually seemed to think i would and it made me feel anxious and sick. please i really need some advice on how to cope :crybaby:

Hi Gary,

Know how you feel about having rotten ruminations when you want them least. The link Smudger has provided you with is pretty darn good, you might want to also check out www.ocdonline.com who have some pretty interesting coping strategies for "pure o" thinking.

Hope you feel better soon

Adam

Guest Gary

if you just let ocd thoughts be there and dont respond to them , wouldnt you just start believing they are your thoughts, i always respond to intrusive thoughts with saying something back to them as if to tell myself thats not me its ocd and the same with intrusive images i shake my head or blink or something, so if i get a thought ill say shut up and move on so i know its not me . so because i keep responding to everysingle thought and keep ruminating im giving t.but if you just let them be there than they will go away hopefully :)??

sometimes the thought of dying seems pleasureable to get away from this , how awful

The trick is not to respond to these thoughts in ways which will reinforce them and make them come back stronger. You cannot outlogic ocd (as Stephen Phillipson says). It is all well and good that you can apply a boatload of logic to their irrationality....but ocd doesn't want to know that. How many times have you/we mentally corrected a thought only for it to come back quite quickly saying "yes, but what if....."?

I think you are on the right lines in terms of coping with your thoughts. I think some professionals would acknowledge that some have difficulty acknowledging sometimes what is real and what is not, but i think that that could be overcome with a little of practice/effort on our part.

Hope this helps

Adam

Guest tattyhead

Hi

Really sucks doesn't it. I had the same thing happen. Went away for a week at Easter - was really looking forward to it, even had a nice couple of days. But then the thoughts started and by the time I got home I was really depressed. I think the OCD seems to think you have no right having a good time. When you do it seems like the OCD thoughts are just waiting to spoil things.

Like already advised - keep saying this is just OCD. I know its hard as sometimes it just seems to take over. But try not to pay much attention to the thoughts that's just what the OCD wants. I try reciting my times tables till the thought has passed.

It will pass - keep strong and keep positive. Keep posting.

Take care Janexxx

Guest Creative Cat

Hi Gary,

I can totally relate to going to out to have a "good time" and then being tortured by obsessive fears that really freak you out! That has been my experience this weekend! I have been trying to "tune it out" and remind myself that the thoughts are not real. I think I'll read these two websites that are referenced above too! Hang in there (as will I)!

Marie

Guest Tommo

HI Gary,

I know how you feel as well. In fact, I was just dropping my dad off at the pub when a group of young girls walked by. At the time the thought came on like, what if I would want to have sex with one of them. At the time I dealt with it as I know I wouldn't. But as i've just got home, I started to go over the situation again to reassure myself which I know is a bad idea but I couldn't help it. However for the rest of today i'm not going to go back to it again as I know this will make it worse.

One day at a time mate, it's difficult I know but try not to ponder over things too much as then it seems the OCD really goes into overdrive.

Hope everyones well

Tommo