Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nat1111

Fear of Psychosis OCD

Recommended Posts

Hi,

New here, just wanted to find out if anyone else is dealing with the same as me or similar.  I get the intense fear of slipping into a delusion or I will hear an external voice in my head any moment, that brings lots of anxiety. It will get triggered if I think I see a shadow out the corner of my eye, or a flash or something weird in my vision. Also if I can make a face out of inanimate objects, whilst looking at a tree or bush or something silly like that. It can even be triggered if my inner monologue is chatty & I start to think what if I dissociate it one day as my own voice. So my ocd basically themes itself round losing control of my mind, not having a grip on reality. Or devolving schizophrenia. 
 

I would like to make very clear that I don’t have anything against people that do have schizophrenia or psychosis. Or that it should even be feared in any way. 
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi nat1111 and welcome to the forum.

Fear of psychosis is something that I wrestled with for about 5 years as a younger chap. All of the perceived warning signs you identify (shadows, flashes and so on) I too became hyper vigilant against. In order to move past this fear, it’s vital that you learn to accept that (like every other human) you have around a 1% chance of experiencing a psychotic episode in your lifetime. So the odds are stacked very much in your favour. However, if you happen to be among the tiny minority, you’ll receive the requisite treatment and you’ll recover.

Successfully battling OCD is all about learning to accept uncertainty (and having faith in your capacity to cope should the worst happen).

Share this post


Link to post

My ocd tried this topic on me, but it lasted about five seconds. I have other themes, but i want to give you a lot of support from norway. We are all in the same boat, even dough its different topics.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Equinoxygen said:

Hi nat1111 and welcome to the forum.

Fear of psychosis is something that I wrestled with for about 5 years as a younger chap. All of the perceived warning signs you identify (shadows, flashes and so on) I too became hyper vigilant against. In order to move past this fear, it’s vital that you learn to accept that (like every other human) you have around a 1% chance of experiencing a psychotic episode in your lifetime. So the odds are stacked very much in your favour. However, if you happen to be among the tiny minority, you’ll receive the requisite treatment and you’ll recover.

Successfully battling OCD is all about learning to accept uncertainty (and having faith in your capacity to cope should the worst happen).

The fact about the 1% thing does not help when it comes to batteling ocd, just pointing it out:) it might even make it worse, because if you try to comfort yourself with such a thought, it just goes back to «but what if», and then you think: ok but only 1%, and then «what if» again. Just goes in circles.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ocdishell said:

The fact about the 1% thing does not help when it comes to batteling ocd, just pointing it out:) it might even make it worse, because if you try to comfort yourself with such a thought, it just goes back to «but what if», and then you think: ok but only 1%, and then «what if» again. Just goes in circles.

It helped me. 1% is a degree of uncertainty I’m able to tolerate. To have that scientific quantification was a comfort when I was in the throes of this particular theme. Ultimately, to improve one has to accept that there is a chance one’s fear will be realised. I’m simply sharing what was beneficial in my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Equinoxygen said:

It helped me. 1% is a degree of uncertainty I’m able to tolerate. To have that scientific quantification was a comfort when I was in the throes of this particular theme. Ultimately, to improve one has to accept that there is a chance one’s fear will be realised. I’m simply sharing what was beneficial in my experience.

I see:) i should have written «it might not be a way to go.» hehe.

i think this way of thinking works for 1% uf ocd sufferers. 

(😂)

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, ocdishell said:

I see:) i should have written «it might not be a way to go.» hehe.

i think this way of thinking works for 1% uf ocd sufferers. 

(😂)

Coincidentally, the percentage of OCD sufferers who can accept that there is a percentage chance their fear might be realised, is the exact same percentage who have a chance of beating their OCD. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Equinoxygen said:

Coincidentally, the percentage of OCD sufferers who can accept that there is a percentage chance their fear might be realised, is the exact same percentage who have a chance of beating their OCD. 😉

Edit: i read your post wrong, im sorry😂😂
 

Orignial post: yeah, i was trying to be funny, did not mean anything bad. 
 Its seems like you are trying to be mean, and actually hinting to me that i have less chanse to beat my ocd is pure evil. And make me realise that you never actually had a real ocd problem, because if you did you would never do something like this to anybody. 
 

I did not realise how evil people could be. Im just a person trying to do the best, and i tried with a little humor, but that surtainly backfired. 

i will descretly remove myself from you and this thread. 

Edited by ocdishell

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Equinoxygen said:

Hi nat1111 and welcome to the forum.

Fear of psychosis is something that I wrestled with for about 5 years as a younger chap. All of the perceived warning signs you identify (shadows, flashes and so on) I too became hyper vigilant against. In order to move past this fear, it’s vital that you learn to accept that (like every other human) you have around a 1% chance of experiencing a psychotic episode in your lifetime. So the odds are stacked very much in your favour. However, if you happen to be among the tiny minority, you’ll receive the requisite treatment and you’ll recover.

Successfully battling OCD is all about learning to accept uncertainty (and having faith in your capacity to cope should the worst happen).

Thank you for your words equinoxygen, nice to see someone else that has struggled with the same issue/theme. I do understand how the chances are very small, just difficult to remind yourself sometimes when anxiety & emotion are involved as well. I know far to much about psychosis as it’s all I’ve researched since the fear started, which was a bad idea, as dr Google just brought more anxiety on! The worst articles that came to mind was one that said if you have ocd you are more likely to develop psychosis! I’ve cut down on a lot of symptom googling as found that whatever symptom came up online my ocd seem to give me. 
 

You’re definitely right on the accepting front as when I’ve told myself, maybe I do have it or there is a possibility I could get it & there’s nothing I could do to change that. I’m a lot calmer :) 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ocdishell said:

Yeah, i was trying to be funny, did not mean anything bad. 
 Its seems like you are trying to be mean, and actually hinting to me that i have less chanse to beat my ocd is pure evil. And make me realise that you never actually had a real ocd problem, because if you did you would never do something like this to anybody. Have a nice day.

i will descretly remove myself from you and this thread. 

Absolutely not. I’m merely stating (correctly) that to successfully battle OCD, one needs to accept that one cannot ever hope to have absolute certainty. That there is always doubt.

nat1111... Please don’t be sidetracked by the above. And please do reread my initial post below:

48 minutes ago, Equinoxygen said:

Hi nat1111 and welcome to the forum.

Fear of psychosis is something that I wrestled with for about 5 years as a younger chap. All of the perceived warning signs you identify (shadows, flashes and so on) I too became hyper vigilant against. In order to move past this fear, it’s vital that you learn to accept that (like every other human) you have around a 1% chance of experiencing a psychotic episode in your lifetime. So the odds are stacked very much in your favour. However, if you happen to be among the tiny minority, you’ll receive the requisite treatment and you’ll recover.

Successfully battling OCD is all about learning to accept uncertainty (and having faith in your capacity to cope should the worst happen).

 

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, ocdishell said:

My ocd tried this topic on me, but it lasted about five seconds. I have other themes, but i want to give you a lot of support from norway. We are all in the same boat, even dough its different topics.

 

 

Thank you for your support from Norway 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, nat1111 said:

The worst articles that came to mind was one that said if you have ocd you are more likely to develop psychosis

I’m as sure as it’s ever possible to be(!) that this is nonsense (as I’m sure you are too nat1111)... Psychosis is a lack of awareness. OCD causes one to become all too aware.

3 minutes ago, nat1111 said:

You’re definitely right on the accepting front as when I’ve told myself, maybe I do have it or there is a possibility I could get it & there’s nothing I could do to change that. I’m a lot calmer :) 

Absolutely so. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Equinoxygen said:

I’m as sure as it’s ever possible to be(!) that this is nonsense (as I’m sure you are too nat1111)... Psychosis is a lack of awareness. OCD causes one to become all too aware.

Absolutely so. 👍

Never been so hyper aware in my life 😂. Googling doesn’t solve anything, learnt the hard way on that!  Have a good evening buddy, appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, nat1111 said:

Never been so hyper aware in my life 😂. Googling doesn’t solve anything, learnt the hard way on that!  Have a good evening buddy, appreciate it. 

You’re very welcome. And you too.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Equinoxygen said:

You’re very welcome. And you too.

Im so sorry for beeing such a «write first, read later» idiot in my priviuos post. Feel like such a.. 

i guess talking about ocd is a very loaded issue for a lot of people, i should have read  what you wrote before calling you evil and all those things😂

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, ocdishell said:

Im so sorry for beeing such a «write first, read later» idiot in my priviuos post. Feel like such a.. 

i guess talking about ocd is a very loaded issue for a lot of people, i should have read  what you wrote before calling you evil and all those things😂

No problem at all ocdishell. 🙂 Discussing a disorder that heaps misery upon its sufferers day after day is bound to create high emotion. I admire your passion. And I only wish for you the same peace I wish for everyone on the forum. 👍

Edited by Equinoxygen
Misspelled

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Equinoxygen said:

No problem at all ocdishell. 🙂 Discussing a disorder that heaps misery upon its sufferers day after day is bound to create high emotion. I admire your passion. And I only wish for you the same peace I wish for everyone on the forum. 👍

I thought you went like: «people like you are the ones who dont beat their ocd», wich, as you can imagine, got me «ooooh no he dideeeent!!» 😂😆

attack first, see if it was an enemy later😎😎

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...