Partner with OCD during covid-19

Hi, I found this forum while doing some research on what I can do to help my girlfriend who has contamination OCD. We recently moved in together and I'm now seeing just how bad her OCD is. She's also told me that due to the pandemic she feels she's lost control of it and it's the worst it's been in a long time. The problem is that her behaviours can be easily justified by fear of covid-19 e.g. wiping surfaces multiple times, not wanting to leave the house, cleaning all the shopping before putting it away. 

I find that I'm scared to touch or move things in case it's something that isn't "clean" and that she'll then have to clean it, I don't want to add to the problem.

She has said that she's really struggling and is getting to a breaking point, I need to know how I can help reduce her compulsions when she believes, and in some cases rightly so, that they are keeping her safe.

Hi Worried, 

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you've found us.

Your girlfriend's definitely not alone experiencing a worsening of her symptoms because of Covid.

What's happened has obviously been difficult for everyone, but it has been so much harder to navigate for people who were already dealing with problems around contamination. The pandemic's made that line between what's a reasonable precaution to stay safe and a compulsion driven by the disorder quite hazy for many people.

When we knew the impact it would have, Ashley posted the topic below on the Support Forum....I think it would help your girlfriend reframe what she's experiencing and hopefully help her feel more confident and comfortable about taking the next step forward towards recovery by gradually reducing the compulsions....

...that's where your support will be vital. Ironically with OCD, the more safety behaviours we carry out to make ourselves feel safe, the less safe we actually feel, and so the cycle builds momentum. At some point treatment is going to come down to gradually reducing those safety behaviours/cleaning compulsions while sitting with the anxiety. It isn't easy, with the right help from a CBT therapist recovery is definitely possible tho.' Would that be something your girlfriend might consider?