Can someone tell me what these different types of OCD are?

Guest James89

Guest James89

Hey,

excuse my ignorance but I never knew there were different types of OCD. I knew there were different symptoms etc but never knew about types. Can someone please explain?

Thanks

James

Guest ppyvabw

Just different obsessions

Violent obsession eg, Fear of harming someone or yourself etc...

Contamination eg, Washing hands....

Magical thinking Not stepping on cracks in pavement...

Sexual obssesions, Fear that one is gay, a peodophile or wants sex with animals...

Blashpemous obsessions Sexual images of virgin mary etc...

Symmetry obsessions Objects musnt touch, be equidistant etc....

Perfectionistic obsessions Wants things to be perfect to point where its distressing

Probably a few more but cant think of them.

Hi There James :)

Types and symptoms are one and the same. OCD is the condition, how it manifests is the type or symptom.

As the last post describes there are many different types of fears, and that list isn't exhaustive, it simply describes the main categories that are experienced.

Also, some people experience obsessions and compulsions/rituals. Some only experience the obsessions without carrying out compulsions, some have physical rituals, some have mental rituals.

If there's anything specific you need to know please don't worry about asking

Caramoole :)

Guest James89

Thanks!

There was another thing I asked about in another thread but has not yet been answered. The thing is, I have never actually been diagnosed with OCD by a GP as I find it hard to tell people about it. I was wondering if this means I am wrong to say that I have OCD, even though I suffer from many of the symptoms and have felt the need to do a number of rituals be it mental or physical since a young age.

James :original:

Guest James89

Thanks! That sheet does seem very helpful! I will consider getting help although I'm at a stage where I feel I don't need help anymore. I used to let it annoy and aggrivate me so much before I knew what it was, but now I can see that it's a condition and that these rituals mean nothing. Although this doesn't help me completely eradicate them from my life, I can now identify them as 'just my OCD' and can usually keep them in control.

I wrote an essay which I've posted as a blog that describes more clearly my feelings towards it.

Thanks for the advice though, I really appreciate it!

James

Guest CountBlabula

Hello James.

I can think of another type of OCD:

The fear that you have caused bad things to happen, or are responsible for bad things that have already happened:

For instance, some people drive by perfectly healthy pedestrians but are convinced they have run over them. They circle around many times in search

of the person's body. And I have even read in an OCD book that the people with this type of OCD can see the person being run over.

They are not schizophrenic per se, but their imaginations are so vivid, and their minds are so set on believing that they have run over the

pedestrian that they imagine they are watching it happen. That must be frightening! :helpsmilie:

Another example: I was once so morbidly depressed while coming down from my mania (it was horrendous-- I could not stop moving or talking),

that I swore up and down I caused the death of the Crocodile Hunter. I know that sounds strange. But I loved the Crocodile Hunter so much,

and was so down on my self, that I swore my very birth caused a cosmic chain of events that ultimately pulled down the happiest conservationist

I had ever known.

Do you have OCD, or are you merely curious about it? I could tell you so many things about it. :original:

Edited by Guest
Guest James89

I do have OCD but listening to these stories and reading other threads on here makes me realise that I have it easy compared to some other sufferers! I used to let it bother me a lot but I can kind of control it these days. There's an essay in my blog that explains it all. Feel free to discuss more about it though, I only found out about it last year therefore I lack a lot of knowledge.

Guest ppyvabw

I dont really believe in the importance of labeling all the different types of OCD anyway. I dont really believe in the need for calling Pure O, pure O because Pure O sufferers still have rituals, just unseen ones. They are all manifestations of the same thing, OCD. Often its usefull to give names to things in general conversation but the end result is the same. They still make you feel bad. Another one,

Fear there is something wrong with you Hypochondria

Infact obssessions can be absolutely anything probably

Edited by Guest
Guest Primrose

Hi everyone!

I obesses that I may have done something bad when I was drunk like gone away with or kissed someone behind my boyfriend's back. It worries me sick but your definitions of OCD don't seem to include it and now I'm worried. Please HELP! X

Guest ppyvabw

Well I said I couldnt think of anymore and as Caramoole said its not an exhaustive list but thinking you've done something bad or cheated on someone or will cheat on them is a common one I think. I think its has been mentioned before on here a few times. Im not a doctor so I cant define what OCD is. Hope that reassures you a little.

Guest Primrose

Thanks Shar, I've just did a search but I just convince myself that I have done this horrible thing or that I'm using OCD as an excuse.

Thanks for the reply!

Aileen xxx