Tips for those who are yet to get CBT

Guest runningrunning

Guest runningrunning

I have pure O. I am very distressed. I have looked on the internet and it says do not tell the thoughts to stop or use an elastic band to ping when you think of something. I am awaiting a book I have ordered but I need help NOW.

So what should I do when a thought enters my head

Guest lisa brosnan

OH DARLING I SO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. HOW I GET THROUGH WHEN I HAVE AN HORRIBLE OCD THOUGHT IS TELL YOURSELF ITS NOT YOU JUST THE OCD

TRYING TO GET TO YOU. DONT RUN FROM IT GO WITH IT AND TELL YOURSELF ITS NOT YOU ITS THE ILLNESS. OCD IS AN CRUEL ILLNESS AND SO HARD TO

GET THE PROPER HELP. YOUR NOT GOING MAD. HOPE THE BOOK HELPS YOU AND YOU GET SOME RELEIF. XXXXXX

Guest runningrunning

OH DARLING I SO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. HOW I GET THROUGH WHEN I HAVE AN HORRIBLE OCD THOUGHT IS TELL YOURSELF ITS NOT YOU JUST THE OCD

TRYING TO GET TO YOU. DONT RUN FROM IT GO WITH IT AND TELL YOURSELF ITS NOT YOU ITS THE ILLNESS. OCD IS AN CRUEL ILLNESS AND SO HARD TO

GET THE PROPER HELP. YOUR NOT GOING MAD. HOPE THE BOOK HELPS YOU AND YOU GET SOME RELEIF. XXXXXX

Thanks I really wish it would go its been going on weeks now I just want to have the baby so I can take my meds again

I think the one bit of advice I can offer is 'knowledge and education'. The more you can learn about OCD and CBT from reputable websites like our own and other OCD charities the better. Be careful as there are lots of naff OCD websites out there, giving questionable advice.

If you check our site there is a good section about CBT, and a CBT video worth viewing.

The Four Steps is not CBT, it is a self-help video, but CBT principles. That video is also on our website.

OCD Facts is also a good book I would recommend.

Hope this helps.

Ashley.

Guest runningrunning

Thanks the book I ordered is the one about pure O. I have read some stuff about the ocd but i cannot concerntrate too well at the mo I guess

Guest unwanted-thoughts

I can highly recommend 'OCD for Dummies' book. I used it because I was having CBT with my psychiatrist but was becoming really frustrated because I didnt get it. I felt stupid and pathetic and it was really difficult. The book was really good because it explains it step by step and you can take your time and go over it at your own pace. Knowledge is the key and looking up and researching asuch as you can hives you the power to rake control.

Very best of luck and take care. xxx