Screening Assessment Appointment?

Guest Beth

I'm really confused and kind of scared. I received a letter today, well actually it was addressed to my parents but it was obviously about me. I feel so ignored, the letter says my Dr wrote to the NHS saying my parents would like to see someone from their serivce regarding their concerns about me. Inviting me and my family. This kind of annoyed me, as not only have they got my date of birth wrong, but my parents haven't seen the doctor about me, it gives the date when my gp contacted them and my parents didn't even know at that time. i feel like they assume I can't have concerns about myself and they have overrode me and acted like everyone knows best but the girl herself.

And inviting my family, why? I don't even know what it is, it's a screening assement appointment and they have given my parents a questionnaire to fill out about me and my 'difficulties' my parents know nothing. it will take 1-1 1/2 hours and I will be put on the Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service waiting list referred to somewher else and then discharged(I don't like the sound of that word).

I get scared they'll lock me up and put me in hospital. I'm scared they will say I'm lying and just a hyprochondriac, my parents won't forgive me and they'll be like 'told you so'. Apparantley this is to help them gain an understanding of my situation and let me and my family know how they work as a team. I can't sit there in front of my parents and say how I feel, and what I do, I shake erratically, my heart beats faster, i can't go through that. My parents will probably just say they don't want to go aswell, if we don't confirm it though and we don't go I'll be discharged from the services, and it's before any of my exams and might help them.

Seeing the words 'mental health NHS' suddenly hit me, I'm scared what should I expect, a screening assessment sounds like something they'd do for a cancer patient, I'm worried, is this my referral, I'm so confused why don't they explain things and realise I'm not a child, that letter should be addressed to me and concern only me I'm 16 for god's sake.

This is the closest I've come to crying since before christmas. I'm really nervous and my stomach feels like butterflies. I take relief only in my family sometimes treating this with lightheartedness, my sister especially, though we don't talk about it.

Beth

Hi Beth,

It does sound as if they've gone about this in a heavy-fisted way; however, it probably will end up working for the good

- you will have a full assessment

- your family will be given information which will help them know how things are.

Once you've had your assessment, you should receive a referral and hopefully that will bring the help you need.

Sorry that you are so upset by the way it's been handled. Just because this has been handled this way doesn't mean your treatment will. Chances are you will receive a good service.

I get scared they'll lock me up and put me in hospital. I'm scared they will say I'm lying and just a hyprochondriac, my parents won't forgive me and they'll be like 'told you so'. Apparantley this is to help them gain an understanding of my situation and let me and my family know how they work as a team. I can't sit there in front of my parents and say how I feel, and what I do, I shake erratically, my heart beats faster, i can't go through that. My parents will probably just say they don't want to go aswell, if we don't confirm it though and we don't go I'll be discharged from the services, and it's before any of my exams and might help them.

Don't worry about all those things like hospital and thinking people will think you are lying, this is your chance to be open about your OCD and how it affects your life. If you can, tell them everything - the team will have heard the same sort of stuff from other people; they will not be shocked by what you tell them.

it will also give you a chance to let your parents know how concerned you are and how you are affected by OCD.

I hope everything will go well for you :) ; let us know how you get on.

Take care :hug:

whitebeam

Hi Beth :hug:

As Whitebeam has said, it does seem to have been done in a ham fisted way but is not going to be anywhere as scary in reality. It's just an assessment, don't worry about the terminology.

No-one is going to lock you up, or think you're crazy or anything else like that, so don't worry on that score.

As for your parents being involved, I'm not sure of that. My understanding is that at 16 you are responsible for your own medical health and can see a doctor at your own bidding and without the consent of your parents.

That said, you might find it a huge relief to share it with them. I know you've mentioned a bit to your Mum, this might give them the chance to understand things that are currently non-understandable to them, that can only help you. I'm sure if you ask, it will be possible for the actual assessement to be done with just you and not with your parents present. Don't panic, this is your GP trying to find you the best support and that can only be good.

The term 'Mental Health', 'Mental Illness' has been discussed on here a few times. I was only reading something in Lee Baers book that says OCD is classed as a mental illness but he also says that so is anxiety, depression and phobias. How many people suffer from phobia's, phobia's about spiders, flying, even odd things like buttons...and yet that is also classed as a mental illness. All it means is an illness of the mind, which it is. Mental Illness doesn't mean crazy or insane.

Try not to worry about it, hopefully it could be the thing that helps you sort this OCD out and that can't be a bad thing.

Caramoole :)

Guest hayley73

Hi Beth

Please try not to worry. When I was really ill and I went to my first psychiatrist appointment I took a friend with me. She asked my friend what changes she had seen in me and stuff like that. I was 25/26 then!!!! Its just so they can get a clear picture. Almost my friend could speak for me as I was too busy crying!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully now, at least you can start to get some help.