Taurean Simple Guide - Worry

As always, my suggestions are based on what I have learned in life as a person and as an OCD sufferer.

Worry and OCD seem to go hand-in-hand and many of we sufferers would describe ourselves as "worriers". 

Worry is endlessly - and fruitlessly - churning over something in our mind, but without ever discovering and implimenting a resolution. 

Sound familiar? 

Read my definition again and you will see that worry achieves nothing - and it's why it causes so much distress and suffering. 

And that is why it features in OCD - the illness uses worry to ply its dastardly trade of convincing us that a false fear or exaggeration is actually true. 

The compulsion of rumination is another form of worry. 

It follows that if we tackle our tendency to worry and ruminate, we are helping ourselves to tackle our OCD. 

Some simple techniques to work on to tackle worry. 

Money 

Let's live within our means. Go without if we can't pay for, or set aside some savings until we have enough money to purchase. 

Other than presents or justifiable treats, go without if necessary. There is no value in "keeping up with the Jones's"  - my wife and I have rather always let others bother about what we may have that they don't! 

If you get into financial trouble, seek guidance don't sit on it. 

My wife and I have always kept our money separate - and operate linked "slush fund" savings accounts. 

With mine, when I was working I paid a set amount in by direct debit into the slush fund each month. Then there was always money available to raid if necessary. 

Do Something 

Don't agonise over a rational problem. If you can't see a solution, defer thinking until you can get help, or give it rational consideration. 

When you have time and a calm place, brainstorm all possible solutions however crazy. 

Then calmly analyse each one, and consider how they may or may not be workable. 

Then from the possibles, determine the probables. 

Then from the probables, determine the best one and, if it will do the job, implement it and dismiss all anxiety about the outcome. 

An OCD Specific Worry 

Once we have learned the cognitive side of OCD - how it works and how it damages us - we can spot how worry and rumination connect with the obsessive thought to give it power and influence. 

Worry and rumination take place in what is called by mindfulness gurus the active "doing"  part of the brain, that determines problems and seeks solutions. But worry and rumination don't achieve a resolution, so we end up going round and round in circles, and our OCD becomes stronger and more restrictive. 

Worry is a bad habit, and like all bad habits it can be broken. And breaking that worry, and rumination about an OCD intrusion, habit will improve our ability to fight the OCD. 

Edited by taurean