This might trigger someone with contamination ocd.

i places an online order and husband left some of the things on the worktop.  It was a click and collect and he had collected it for me.  

Today I went to put those things away and one of them being smooth peanut butter jar.  I picked it up and instantly my hands were greasy and I realised it was all greasy on the outside.  I didn’t notice yesterday may be because the weather was cooler and it had set.  I looked at the top and the seal was broken - not even from the opening but but from elsewhere.  I threw it in the bin.  To clarify to my self that it was not contaminated I want to see it again and to open it so I open the bin and hold the jar to open the lid but it started leaking everywhere before I could even open it and it was yellow all over the papers in the bin.  I’m now in panic mode because I’m thinking someone did something to it.  I want to die! 

So this is an updat on what happen to me earlier today.  Basically I was telling the hubby how he did t notice an open jar and he replied “oh I opened it because the jar was leaking it’s oil”.  I asked him why he didn’t tell em and basically he said it was greasy on the outside because it had leaked (peanut butter and it contains a lot of oil on the top) and he just twisted the top open to see it inside.  He saw it was fine inside and left it on the worktop.

I guess my OCD went into overdrive thinking this jar had been tempered with when all the while the hubby had opened it.  I’m ok with the fact that the oils had leaked out because it was sealed correctly and I realised how much my mind plays tricks on me.  The agony I went through because of OCD! 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Also be aware of how good reassurance feels. Telling him was not necssary

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
34 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Also be aware of how good reassurance feels. Telling him was not necssary

I don’t talk about my ocd with him.  He had unpacked the shopping so my telling him was genuinely questioning how he didn’t see an open jar.  I also genuinely didn’t know if my reaction was how a normal person would react.  My ‘talking’ of the jar was after I’d ‘cleaned’.  

Guest OCDhavenobrain
41 minutes ago, lonely mum said:

I don’t talk about my ocd with him.  He had unpacked the shopping so my telling him was genuinely questioning how he didn’t see an open jar.  I also genuinely didn’t know if my reaction was how a normal person would react.  My ‘talking’ of the jar was after I’d ‘cleaned’.  

I sympatize with you when you say that it is hard to know how a person without OCD would react.

I also understand that it was a massive relief but it is very bad in the long run even if it is unintentional. Lastly you already know from the thread how a "normal person" would react. Do not let it tell you to get one more just to be sure.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain