SSRI'S AND PRIVATE THERAPY

Hello,

I just wondered if you can take SSRI's even if you re not seeing an NHS Therapist but a private one instead?

I have been referred to see a CBT Therapist via the NHS but have been advised that I have to wait a while as there are a high number of people using the service at the moment, understandable as I am sure that there are more people struggling than usual due to the Covid situation, so in the meantime I am seeing a private therapist.

I have seen my private therapist once and although she knows that I have OCD most of what we have talked about is to do with my underlying beliefs and there has been talk of challenging some of these (for example, I tend to try and life up to my Dads expectation of me and this cause's me problems as I have my own ideas of how to live my life) so they are not necessarily OCD but may effect some of the 'subjects' my OCD chose's to pick up on.

I am fully intent on using the NHS service CBT to deal with my OCD but obviously if with my private therapist we end up dealing with my OCD I don't want to take up somebody else's space and would need to let the NHS know.

But as I was subscribed SSRI's by the NHS with them knowing that I had been referred for NHS CBT would they still grant me a prescription knowing I was going private?

I hope this make's sense as I am struggling with my concentration at the moment.

Symps

On 16/01/2021 at 14:03, Symps07 said:

But as I was subscribed SSRI's by the NHS with them knowing that I had been referred for NHS CBT would they still grant me a prescription knowing I was going private?

I can't see why they wouldn't prescribe SSRIs to someone seeking private treatment so try not to worry about it :) If private therapy is going well for you when a NHS therapist becomes available, then it's your choice what you do but it's great to stay on the waiting list if for any reason you're not getting as far as you would like privately then you can try something different on the NHS :)

19 hours ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

I can't see why they wouldn't prescribe SSRIs to someone seeking private treatment so try not to worry about it :) If private therapy is going well for you when a NHS therapist becomes available, then it's your choice what you do but it's great to stay on the waiting list if for any reason you're not getting as far as you would like privately then you can try something different on the NHS :)

Thank you for your response Gemma.

I am thinking of doing both as with my private therapist we're not concentrating as much on my OCD but more the underlying beliefs so I still want to do CBT for my OCD as I really want to get rid of it this time!

On 19/01/2021 at 08:18, Symps07 said:

Thank you for your response Gemma.

I am thinking of doing both as with my private therapist we're not concentrating as much on my OCD but more the underlying beliefs so I still want to do CBT for my OCD as I really want to get rid of it this time!

By doing both, do you mean the private therapy and the CBT through the NHS? I only ask because typically therapists will only want you to do one type of therapy at once, in case they conflict with one another. 

I'm going to continue with the private therapist and see where I am when the NHS contact me. I'll let them know what I am doing and see what they advise. They may advise I just continue with the private therapy. I just really need some assistance now as I have never had it this bad ?