Research for novel

Hi everyone, I was hoping to ask for some advice from the forum. I’m writing a novel in which the main character, a teenage girl, has to deal with many  problems, while also struggling with undiagnosed OCD. I’m an as yet unpublished writer, so this may never actually be published – but my main concern right now is making it as strong a book as it can be, and I want to ensure I accurately and sensitively portray the realities of living with this condition. I don’t have OCD myself, but I do have anxiety and struggle with some intrusive thoughts when that flares up, though of course I realise at a vastly lower level than for sufferers of OCD. I feel immense sympathy and respect for anyone who lives with and copes with thoughts that are so frequently overwhelming. I would be very grateful to hear about anyone’s authentic experiences of living with OCD, especially relating to harm OCD, and what it feels like. I have some pre-prepared questions I would be happy to PM anyone who might be generous enough to get in touch, but I would equally be so grateful for any comments at all that anyone living through this would be happy to give. Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for any responses, Amie

• 5 months later...

My advice is don't do it.  If you don't have personal experience of this condition you're highly likely to portray it wrong and offend someone.  The character could just have anxiety like yours but from experience as a sufferer when non sufferers try and describe it they tend to get it wrong.  No amount of research can replace lived experience. Sorry.  But best of luck with the novel

I don’t know if you are still around Amie but my advice would be to read books and peoples stories and to look around on here and read peoples posts and get to know the people here, a lot of people are not going to be willing to share their experiences with you. I don’t agree with QueenZiggy, I’m also a writer and I think you can portray anything with enough skill. The movie the aviator is also a good watch, Leonardo Dicaprio’s portrayal of OCD is excellent. 

2 hours ago, Phili said:

I don’t know if you are still around Amie but my advice would be to read books and peoples stories and to look around on here and read peoples posts and get to know the people here, a lot of people are not going to be willing to share their experiences with you. I don’t agree with QueenZiggy, I’m also a writer and I think you can portray anything with enough skill. The movie the aviator is also a good watch, Leonardo Dicaprio’s portrayal of OCD is excellent. 

See acting is different to writing.  Writing you're in that person's head and to best convey that you need to have lived it.  As a writer I wouldn't portray schizophrenia or bipolar despite having knowledge and knowing people with it because I can't fully experience it and do it justice.  Some things you need to have lived and having seen the reviews on many books written about OCD most people agree with me.  

Also Leonardo DiCaprio actually has OCD hence why the portrayal was so good. He's spoken about this before and having therapy 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/03/2022 at 13:22, QueenZiggy said:

Writing you're in that person's head and to best convey that you need to have lived it.

I disagree. :no:  I've written many, many stories with characters who have all kinds of conditions, personality traits and flaws that I have not suffered from personally. Even characters whose thinking and morals are the exact opposite of everything I believe in. So have most published writers. Very few (unless it's an autobiography) have lived experience of the things they write about. Not to mention fantasy, science fiction, surealism and more - how do you get lived experience of that?

The solution is research, research, research. Then use your empathy skills to get into the mind, body and life of the character, whoever or whatever they may be.

On 01/03/2022 at 11:15, Phili said:

I’m also a writer and I think you can portray anything with enough skill.

Exactly! :yes: