Well... So far, so good...  I've been listening to the new ABBA album on cd. There are some really good words... The songs are pretty amazing, being sung as they are, by people who are in their  seventies!  Another favourite  is Jeff Wayne's  War of the worlds album. Very inspiring. Our favourite music can be a useful distraction to our dreaded intrusive thoughts. As a child, I was very into the books by Enid Blyton... The adventures always turned out okay.  It is nearly time to take down the Christmas decorations... I think it will be a good idea to leave some lights up, the bright colours can really lift the atmosphere of a room. A couple of my grandchildren are visiting this afternoon... They are a lot of fun, although I don't think I could cope with them all of the time! I will try not to catastropise anything... I  will make real effort to 'Keep things simple'.  My clothes have always, for as far back as I can remember, been reasonably clean,  so if Ibrush my hands down, and then eat a favourite biscuit, or sandwich, for me, it has always been okay so far... I'm eating a sandwich right now, and keep unconsciously brushing the crumbs off my cothing... 

Hopefully  2022 will bring us a good outcome... Whatever, it already has been, and will continue to be,  a heck of a ride!

David

Hi, Thank you both for your kind words. Had a great time with the grandchildren today, It is good to see that they are becoming just as crazy as me! I don't entirely admit to it though... I'm trying to look at everything in a more positive way... Even when things don't always go right, it just seems to be a better way for me to handle the situation. Christmas becomes a focus... But not everyone is gonna be happy... A lot of very sobering thoughts come to mind at Christmas... Even the music can bring back awful memories... So much of the music was recorded in the seventies and eighties, a time when my own life was really quite a struggle. It still is, sometimes. In a few short months we will hopefully have warm evenings when we can sit in the garden... In my case, a small yard with astroturf type stuff. (No weeding or mowing!)  It is very easy for us Ocd'ers to get overwhelmed with stuff, but, a breath at a time, it is possible to climb back up again, at least, for most of the time, these days... Chocolate is supposed to be a good mood lifter, but not so good for the teeth... I don't care, it tastes nice! Especially fruit and nut!  Speak again soon,

David

7 hours ago, Dakagraphics-David said:

Hi, Thank you both for your kind words. Had a great time with the grandchildren today, It is good to see that they are becoming just as crazy as me! I don't entirely admit to it though... I'm trying to look at everything in a more positive way... Even when things don't always go right, it just seems to be a better way for me to handle the situation. Christmas becomes a focus... But not everyone is gonna be happy... A lot of very sobering thoughts come to mind at Christmas... Even the music can bring back awful memories... So much of the music was recorded in the seventies and eighties, a time when my own life was really quite a struggle. It still is, sometimes. In a few short months we will hopefully have warm evenings when we can sit in the garden... In my case, a small yard with astroturf type stuff. (No weeding or mowing!)  It is very easy for us Ocd'ers to get overwhelmed with stuff, but, a breath at a time, it is possible to climb back up again, at least, for most of the time, these days... Chocolate is supposed to be a good mood lifter, but not so good for the teeth... I don't care, it tastes nice! Especially fruit and nut!  Speak again soon,

David

A lovely positive thread and it’s so nice to read of you playing with your grandchildren. I hope I can emulate your long-term success with fighting OCD. You definitely deserve all the fruit and nut your teeth can handle. Have a great evening. 

Hi there... Yep, the chocolate was brill... And... I didn't make a special point of washing my hands first!  Something happened today... I had to use de-icer on the windscreen of the car... I got some on my hands... I put the bottle safely away, but didn't actually wash my hands, until I got to my son's house... And that was because I expected to eat some sandwiches, and I didn't want to taste anything. Mind you, we breathe the fumes in when the fan is on, and it so far, in our lifetime, has never caused any problems for me... So I guess it is safe... Perhaps the 'contamination', if we can call it that, was mixed with a bit of 'Bontamination', to equal it out... It will be the same when we use the windscreen washers... That stuff smells real nice! But I don't go so far as to sniff it endlessly!  And we've not been told what is in air fresheners... Does anyone remember the 'Flit' guns of the 1960's. It came in a tin which had a type of air pump mounted on top... I don't think it has done me any lasting damage, and as to whether or not it was effective against household flies, I really don't remember! I haven't seen 'Bluebottles' for a great many years... As far as everything getting possibly cross Con/bontaminated at the supermarket checkouts, I just dumped it all on the conveyor belt, with the tins at the front, so when it all extremely rapidly went back into the trolley, I wouldn't crush the precious bread, under all the tins, of all sorts of things... Had a 'meal deal' today for a change... I don't expect any tummy ache...  In my lifetime, it has always been reasonably okay, or I wouldn't be sitting here typing this!

David

Here we are, at another weekend... Having said that, my days just flow... I am studying, so sit and read quite a lot... Whilst doing so, I have headphones on, and listen to relaxation music... Really soothing... And I can shut the rest of the world out...  I've started watching Norman Wisdom films on you tube... They are funny, but also carry quite a lot of emotion... Norman Wisdom had quite a troubled childhood, but went on to use this to do some amazing performances... He was also a really good singer for his time... There is a saying that 'If life gives you a lemon... Make a lemonade...'  So, from a really bitter experience, turn it around and make it into one of the most refreshing fizzy drinks there is...  Finding some sort of contentment... It's not all about impressing other people, that is sometimes totally impossible, it is about finding peace with ourselves...  A Brilliant recording to listen to is 'Desiderata' recorded in the 1960's or thereabouts, by Les Crane.  And Music... 'If', by Bread...

Tomorrow should be a lie in... I have music on in m y bedroom, to help drive the intrusive thoughts away, planning for (hopefully) better times ahead... Springtime is not that far away now, when the flowers appear, and the evenings will be warm enough to sit out in the garden with a firepit... The album 'Forever' by Kool and the gang, has some good music from the disco era... 

David

I hope you got your lie-in David, and enjoyed a lovely Saturday. What do you study?

My husband and I are working on painting our house and will maybe even lay some wood flooring ourselves. Listening to music while we work is fun. My grandma visited and we saw a robin at the bird feeder. Life can be really good :)

Hi there, Yep Saturday went reasonably okay...  I'm actually upping my understanding of Psychology... I wonder about doing Forensic Psychology, cos that sounds fascinating... Having said that, the amount of Psychology that goes into planning the layout of a modern supermarket is absolutely amazing!  For instance... The instore bakery has absolutely nothing to do with the sale of bread!!! Many years ago, I read about a study of when Men and women go shopping together, why is it often the man who pushes the trolley around? Well... One school of thought it would be the man being the protector of the food in the trolley, effectively guarding it. Well, after a few years of marriage, I can safely say that it has more to do with the Mans' possibility of choosing the wrong stuff from the shelves, so he resorts to the comparative safety of pushing the trolley, while his wife fills the trolley! Right or wrong becomes irrelevant at this point!!!!  Tomorrow I'm going to be helping my mate with his website,  And listening to him play his electronic organ. 

Cora... We are allowed to experience pleasure... I heard somewhere that going as far as enjoyment, is limited to the human species... If it is so wrong to experience pleasure, the human race would have probably died out many millennia ago. How can something so pleasant be so wrong?

Back to me... I like a nice 'sensual' story... And my mate writes those as well! You can't beat a good love story... When something happens in love and friendship, it is beautiful and wonderful... It is part of what makes ourselves really special... Simply because we care... Perhaps a little too much?

David

Wow, I find Psychology fascinating. It was one of my A-levels many years ago and I considered studying it at university. Haha that is interesting about the grocery shopping - currently we have our own psychology going on around that in my house - my husband pushes the trolley because touching things during COVID is less of an issue for him! But he doesn't know that... at least I've never explained it, I'm lucky enough that he just does it anyway!

LOL yes we do care a little too much David!!

I hope you had a great time with your friend. 

Hi there. Yes. Coping okay at present. I may be on medicines for ever, but never mind, at my age, I don't have to pay, yet... I realised this evening, that I actually do 'baby breathing', that is breathing into the stomach. It is a very efficient way of using our lungs. I've read about it somewhere. When we are most anxious, we tend to breathe with the upper part of our chest.  There is a programme on TV called 'Faking it', where they show us how a professional can tell when we are being truthful and honest. They study some really nasty people, and keep them away from us ordinary folk. I'd like to learn more about being able to do that kind of work...

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone... Long time, no see... Things are going reasonably well for me at the moment. My mate Marcus John Kim is currently working on a website to showcase their books... I'll let you know, all in good time.  In the meantime, they are available on Amazon as books, or kindle as electronic files. The two novels are really pleasant reading too, with a bit of young love in them too. Tomorrow our grandchildren come to us for a few hours. We have crisps, cans of pop, and biscuits... It won't calm them down, but hey, we are blessed with wonderful grandchildren, all individuals in their own unique way. I've inherited another cuddly toy... I may be in my sixties, but they are nice and colourful to have around the house. And oh so lovely to handle. I do most of the cooking in our house, and now we actually have a new cooker, it is a learning curve. A short time ago I did a thin crust garlic bread with cheese on top. It was only in for a very short time, but still came out like a biscuit!  When I was at work, I used to make rhubarb crumbles... Sometimes the top came out like a manhole cover! On the times I did get that bit right, I would use the wrong grade sugar, and it would be like chewing half-set concrete! 

I have started watching Russell Howard on youtube. He has a brilliant take on the events and situations in the world, and he can be very funny... A great mood lifter. As do several people I know, only one person drives the car, and my wife is our lead driver. I actually prefer to just sit and watch the countryside and houses going by, wondering if one day we'll have something special of our own. It is good to see lot's of people taking part on the forums, it is by chatting to each other that we can really try to help each other along. This OCD is an absolute B. I will look in from time to time, I'm up to my neck with studying now. It is not something I'm used to, so it is difficult to time-manage it all... Speak again soon hopefully.

David