Not Funny - Catherine Tate

Guest Richard-P

Guest Richard-P

I have to agree with what Lady Honda has just said. As long as people see it for what it is, then what harm can it do. I find Little Britain incredibly funny and have laughed at Lou and Andy many a time. That does not want to make me go out and laugh at real people in wheelchairs. The same with Ann, the lady(?) that goes eh, eh, eh.

A lot of comedy shows today poke fun at unfortunate moniroties in one way or another (Little Britain, Catherine Tate included) and I am happy to laugh so long it is done in a careful manner and is not too cruel. For me to turn around and say I am disgusted with Catherine Tate because of her OCD sketch would be hypocritical.

If people are starting to poke fun at OCD, perhaps it is a good sign - OCD is becoming a recognised condition.

Spider

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I partially agree, partially disagree. I think over the last 12 moths or so, the media have covered OCD a lot in various forms, TV, film, newspaper, but I still get the impression that the media and general public do not realise exactly how serious it is.

We need to accept a good deal of awareness is happening, but now work hard towards ensuring the public understand the condition, and that is why I am against the Catherine Tate sketch. I am not actually offended by it, I poke fun at my own OCD, if I was not involved in the charity it would not bother me at all, but I feel the sketch will not do anything to help us make people realise exactly how serious OCD can be.

Guest ladyhonda

but I feel the sketch will not do anything to help us make people realise exactly how serious OCD can be.

Yes, and this is where every singe one of us worries. I'll wait til I've seen the clip.

Guest madasafish

i am often dismayed that ocd is treated as funny or pathetic, people with it seem to be portrayed as harmless wierdos, who wash their hands constantly, and check things 1000 times,and sit on loo seats covered in toilet paper,and carry wet wipes, but are generaly harmless.

i also cannot understand how anyone with ocd could find any ocd joke funny, but that is a personal thing to me and not a dig at anyone else-i actually envy you i wish i could be that way.

the andy character in little britain is not intended to be disabled i believe he is ment to be lazy and taking his friend for a mug?

but i do see your points.

but i do believe ocd is seen as funny broadly speaking, recent documentaries have in my oppinion portrayed it as potentialy life destroying for the family of the sufferer,but not so much for the actual sufferer, and as being VERY EASY TO CURE.

oh you hoarde do you, ok we will throw everything you own in a skip-youre cured!-hooray!

the fact is as we know the way our condition makes us act is often humorous to anyone who happens to see it,i myself have been ridiculed in the street by complete strangers because i suddenly retraced my steps and then turned again and carried on.

the turmoil the self doubt , the pain the anguish the unbearable anxiety and worry is not visible from the outside,and this is the problem i think.

some time ago there was a toy figure of a person with ocd, ocd man , who came wearing a face mask, and rubber gloves , and some people on here thought it was so hillarious that they bought one, i could not see the joke myself but as i have said i wish i could, and people have different views of their condition, A friend pointed out to me that there was a figure of professor x from the x men who is in a wheelchair, but that was incidental to the character rather than being the entire point of the character.

i think that if you have the website linked to the tv show i am concerned that you will only attract people wanting to laugh at us,or leave abusive posts, or sit and read our message board and laugh, and that would break my heart, to think that our pain and that of those we love was just entertainment .

i worry that anyone linking from the show would only be interested in the possible humor of it, and not be interested in being educated as to what it is really like.

i am often dismayed that ocd is treated as funny or pathetic, people with it seem to be portrayed as harmless wierdos, who wash their hands constantly, and check things 1000 times,and sit on loo seats covered in toilet paper,and carry wet wipes, but are generaly harmless.

i also cannot understand how anyone with ocd could find any ocd joke funny, but that is a personal thing to me and not a dig at anyone else-i actually envy you i wish i could be that way.

i think that if you have the website linked to the tv show i am concerned that you will only attract people wanting to laugh at us,or leave abusive posts, or sit and read our message board and laugh, and that would break my heart, to think that our pain and that of those we love was just entertainment .

i worry that anyone linking from the show would only be interested in the possible humor of it, and not be interested in being educated as to what it is really like.

Hi madasafish

These two points stood out for me in your post. It's true that in the past OCD and it's sufferers have been portrayed in this way - but then if you watch Dirty Filthy Love it completely turned that notion on it's head. It portrayed OCD seriously and showed how it affected sufferers, friends and family alike. However, I think the Catherine Tate sketch is of the former rather than the latter unfortunately (and I am a fan of hers, I think she's a brilliantly talented actress). Her particular joke didn't offend me per se, but like you I do find it incredibly hard to find OCD funny. I can on occasion laugh at something stupid I've done in the name of OCD - but on the whole find it upsetting and distressing most of the time.

In essence I share your concern about the website too. But, to put it in perspective there are links to this place on other websites which are freely available - OCD-UK has been mentioned on TV and in the press lots - think how many potential troublemakers have seen it - and think about how many people who want to cause trouble have joined? Admittedly the odd idiot who wants to play pranks or take the mick has joined - but they've been quickly weeded out by the mods, and I think it'd be the same for the website which might be set up. I think the general idea was to put a disclaimer on there to point out that it's no laughing matter and shouldn't have fun poked at it.

Just my twopenneth.

Regards

Kathryn

We need to accept a good deal of awareness is happening, but now work hard towards ensuring the public understand the condition, and that is why I am against the Catherine Tate sketch. serious OCD can be.

I really agree with Ashley on this. I make fun of my OCD all the time but this type of sketch does nothing as far as awareness is concerned, it just reinforces stereotypes and misunderstandings. I was at work the other day, and I heard a couple of my workmates discussing this sketch, which then lead on to a longer discussion about OCD. They know nothing about it, other then the type of thing shown in sketches like that on Catherine Tate and they were laughing about it. I know they didn't mean this in an awful way, they just don't have a clue about the disorder. It's just becoming a byword for ludicrous eccentricity, or stupid quirks that are 'ridiculous' and that's the sort of idea that this type of sketch reinforces. They were SO uninformed, I felt really uncomfortable. None of them know about my condition and I would never ever tell them. I also feel that watching this type of thing in front of others that DO know of my condition would make me feel embarrassed and stupid.

The other problem, I think, is the very pigeonholed way in which this means OCD is yet again being portrayed ie focusing solely on the whole checking appliances aspect, which (having listened to my workmates) is what they seemed to think OCD was. These things do nothing to help explain how variant and complicated OCD is and how obsessions can be wholly unrelated to the 'standard' idea of what they are. Obviously, it's a comedy show but think how many people watch things like that, think how catchphrases and sketches are copied and adopted and it gives some idea of how powerful something like this can be in terms of (not) furthering awareness.

Guest Stephanie

i like the idea of a link at the end of the credits.

personally I didn't find the sketch very funny because it just reinforced the idea that people with OCD are just extreme 'clean freaks' and that OCD is not very serious - just something to laugh at. I've struggled with OCD for 14 years and I might try and laugh off my rituals with my loved ones but really it pains me because it has made me act 'abnormally' for so long (and they don't know i still carry out the same compulsions I did when I was a little girl) and the obsessions behind the compulsions are most upsetting to me and I still can't shake them.

I don't think we need anymore publicity solely on contamination ocd, the public needs to understand what obsessions often lay behind this although I know what a mammoth task that is to undertake!

Edited by Guest

OCD or any other Anxiety Disorder is no Laughing matter.

I haven't seen this Catherine Tate sketch but from what I have read about it, it is not funny. It is treating people with this Disorder as different and something to be laughed at, we all know there is nothing funny when we are in the middle of a compulsion, how much we are wasting our lives and feel abnormal?.

About the disabled person in Little Britain, isn't the joke he isn't disabled, he's pretending?, that's what is funny, it isn't meant to be laughing at Physically Disabled people but him?.

Guest Fallen Angel

OCD or any other Anxiety Disorder is no Laughing matter.

I haven't seen this Catherine Tate sketch but from what I have read about it, it is not funny.

No offence mate but maybe your opinion would change if youd actually viewed the sketch?

Guest ladyhonda

About the disabled person in Little Britain, isn't the joke he isn't disabled, he's pretending?, that's what is funny, it isn't meant to be laughing at Physically Disabled people but him?.

Point taken, but like Sam said, maybe we need to see the sketch.

Ok, the show's on tonight at 9 o'clock on BBC2. Hope it has the sketch on.

Edited by Guest
Guest Fallen Angel

Id just like to reinforce a point that Ashley made earlier.A lot of recent media exposure has enlightened many people on the less highlighted aspects of ocd,including the torment of mental compulsions which is a very positive step towards greater awareness.However,I am currently what is deemed to be JUST a washer and although I dont feel my condition deserves any greater or lesser consideration,it has in the past come close to destroying my family.I have experienced the mental anguish and physical pain of washing my hands, sometimes with household bleach,until my wounds are so severe I could see my pulse through them.My hands have at times become so damaged I cannot bend my fingers enough to even light a cigarette.(Thankfully a thing of the past now) Apologies for the tone of my post,got a slight chip on my shoulder this morning...whoops...*wipes it off quickly* :a1_cheesygrin:

Right, i'll make sure I watch it tonight.

It's just it would not be taken seriously if laughed at and an non OCD sufferer mostly thinks, he has OCD, oh that checking thing, which isn't the case and this Catherine Tate, is just making fun of OCD sufferer's it seems?.

people this is not a massive sketch its a 1 second one liner that most would probally miss

so lets all stay calm and take it for what it is part of a comedy sketch and i am sure not ment in any offence what so ever

so do something to help see this thread and go for it http://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?showtopic=13911

Edited by Guest

Because of the support group I am going to miss it tonight, but thats a good thing because can't stand her type of comedy, if you can call it that.

I would like to touch on something more serious than a joke on the catherine tate show, I know biccy as also, but I want to add a note to what Samantha said earlier.

However,I am currently what is deemed to be JUST a washer and although I dont feel my condition deserves any greater or lesser consideration,it has in the past come close to destroying my family.

Whilst I accept that hand washing is the public perception of OCD which upsets some of you, we as a charity have done a lot to try and change that over the last 18 months, we can do more but need more help. But the awareness aside we must never ever forget that contamination OCD is as serious as any other type of OCD and people like Samantha deserve our support as much as people with pure O.

Not seen it still, so any comments about this tonight, I assume it was on? Ironically the BBC called me whilst my support group was on, told them currently in a meeting for people with a disabling illness called OCD and to call back tomorrow :lol:

I watched it but the sketch wasn't on it.

I just don't really get this programme. It's one of those that I like some of the characters in, but on the whole I don't really care if I see it or not, and I never laugh out loud.

i had the TV on the channel, but with the sound off, as i was talking on the phone to someone much more interesting :in_love: , but i did catch sight of the final sketch...

if following a stereotypical parade carrying a placard saying "i'm with the woofter" or something is the level of "humour" (i.e. mocking anything different from ms tate, and/or her writers 'norm' - or demographic or whatever) that the programme has, i'm sure a brief one-liner is going to go by barely unnoticed...

roll on a better thursday night comedy - bbc2 has had some belters in the past :nerd:

think the jack dee series is really good too, been watching it on bbc4 :lamo:

quite enjoyed simon amstel (sp?) on buzzcocks tonight too..

Edited by Guest

Because of the support group I am going to miss it tonight, but thats a good thing because can't stand her type of comedy, if you can call it that.

I would like to touch on something more serious than a joke on the catherine tate show, I know biccy as also, but I want to add a note to what Samantha said earlier.

Whilst I accept that hand washing is the public perception of OCD which upsets some of you, we as a charity have done a lot to try and change that over the last 18 months, we can do more but need more help. But the awareness aside we must never ever forget that contamination OCD is as serious as any other type of OCD and people like Samantha deserve our support as much as people with pure O.

point totally taken - apologies to anyone who i may have offended :blushing: (not that i get responsibility ocd or anything :wink::whistling: )

my OCD has morphed into a few different thoughts and behaviours in its time, and i never meant to suggest that any one type was more or less of a :censored: than any other...

david

Edited by Guest

Before the show started it showed the didileavethekettleon.com whatever it is clip, it will be probably be on another time.

I didn't like the bit about Husbands being beaten by their Wifes, that is not a laughing matter, Men have commited suicide over this and family's have been ruined.

It just seems to me she picks out the different to make a joke out of.

Ironically the BBC called me whilst my support group was on, told them currently in a meeting for people with a disabling illness called OCD and to call back tomorrow

Excellent Ashley.

Guest Fallen Angel

point totally taken - apologies to anyone who i may have offended :blushing: (not that i get responsibility ocd or anything :wink::whistling: )

my OCD has morphed into a few different thoughts and behaviours in its time, and i never meant to suggest that any one type was more or less of a :censored: than any other...

david

Hey David!

Wasnt remotely offended by your post,I just felt like reinforcing a point yesterday and was generally in a bit of a strop...hehe.Sorry if you felt it was partly due to your post,I can assure you this is not the case! :lol:

Guest ladyhonda

Ok, I can take her or leave her. The 'Am I bovved' sketches are booooooooooooooring, as are many others.

The clip was shown, as Logic said, before the actual programme. But I'm sorry folks, I found it funny. Strangely enough, I am also a sufferer and know the pure hell and torture of ocd. To me, this clip has done no harm whatsoever and the clip is about 'checking' and I'm a checker, amongst many other things.

Yep I laughed and I await the backlash from anyone who thinks I'm a very, very bad person!

Well, I watched the CTS for the first time ever last night and I thought it was absolute pants!

How on earth that gets BBC funding, I'll never know.

Generally, I like 'alternative' comedy (actually, I like anything that's 'funny'), but I have to say that this show was lacking invention and the punchlines (if you can call them that) were not only lame - they were soooo obvious.

Must do better!

The Simpsons does it for me... Homer is my hero!

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer"... Homer logic.

Edited by Guest