Not Funny - Catherine Tate

Guest Richard-P

Guest HayleyMartin

I just want to re-iterate what Biccy said. We need to ALL email/write to/phone our MPS to press for a full implemetation of Layards Bill. As much as some of us may have found this sketch offensive it was like Biccy said, a one minute sketch and in the scheme of things will alter very little. A formal complaint has been lodged but as much as we are entitled to feel any way we like and voice our opinions to the media I also belive we ALL have a responsibility to do something practical for ourselves and current and future generations of OCD sufferers. It worries me a little bit that while this thread is incredibly busy very few people have contributed to the other thread saying they have contacted their MP. I really think this is important.

:blushing: will do it now-its top of my list :headslap: :lol: will have to copy off someone else's letter cause i is not very bright :a1_cheesygrin:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it very funny on the trailer(havent seen the whole sketch) , but i suppose it struck less close to home cos i have contamination ocd. Sorry :blushing: i didnt really think other people would find it very offensive. But when i think about it if that had happened when i was low and if i had checking ocd i would probably have been upset, so I'm not saying dont write to the show. But I don't think people will think less of you if they see the show. Does it get worse in the actual sketch than it is in the trailer?

Guest madasafish

i am glad biccy was not offended by my post -

i was interested in ash and his response from the bbc, and while complaining does sometimes make us look a bit picky i think it is worth doing even if many think it will do nothing.

the comment made about ms Tate and her scottish character was interesting but my point is this-

they are all stereotype generalised characters, people sitting at home will not necessarily think it is them that are being ridiculed, not every scottish person would think the character was solely poking fun at them as an individual,and if they did they would have every right to be offended the fact that the character was for instance scottish would not be the entire point of the character,but the ocd joke could only be taken as an ocd joke, and only pointed at people with ocd,and cast them in a ridiculing way-the spoof website mentioned www.haveilefttheironon.com/yesihave/noihavnt.com can only be taken as a ridicule of the anguish and intrusive thoughts that are at the very heart of ocd,and to repeat it so often increases the likelihood that people with ocd will be offended, or laughed at.

once again it is portrayed as a funny illness,

i dont understand why ocd is not confined within the bounds of good taste like other illnesses when it comes to what is deemed ok to poke fun at.

as i have said it was the constant repitition of this joke that got to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just seen the Catherine Tate sketch of OCD and I am disgusted. I take back my earlier comment. When I saw the trailer I was ok with it, because I have checking ocd and thought it was quite funny. I don't agree with being called a 'half wit'. This shows Catherine Tate doesn't have a clue about OCD sufferers and how clever we are. Her cleaning jokes weren't funny either. :wontlisten:

i clicked onto the show just when that sketch came up (spooky) and i was really taken aback by it, the way she talked about the sufferers in the bathroom...it was not nice..and the half wit bit was insulting.

melissa

Funnily enough, I flicked over just as the 'sketch' started as well.

Didn't find it particularly funny, but that had nothing to do with subject... she's just not 'funny'... about anything... full stop.

Have to say that I didn't feel particularly offfended either though.

hi all

i just wanted to say that i have just seen the whole sketch this morning and i still found it very funny

i dont feel offended by it at all, but that is my sense of humor. maybe its just what i do to get through my ocd laugh at things and mostly at myself and for that i cant appologise as for me if i didnt laugh i am totally scared of the depths i would sink to .

i can see why it offends people and well done for raising your complaint .

take care

Edited by Guest
Guest ladyhonda

I haven't seen the whole sketch as the pub was more important :a1_cheesygrin: .

But like biccy said, don't blame you for complaining if you feel that strongly. Just because it doesn't offend me doesn't mean everyone else should feel the same. :original:

It is repeated Sunday at 9pm so I will watch it then. Like many of you, I rarely get offended by jokes about OCD, but I can ususally see why others would be offended, so I will lodge another complaint with the BBC if the sketch is out of order.

This brings me to another subject along the same lines, but off topic so I will link to the thread in question.

http://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=9510

Please feel free to send comlaints or add your comments to this post. We may use some of your comments in the newsletter so please add a note if you do not wish us to do so.

Ok, well - I saw the sketch last night and I really didn't find it funny at all. I have to say that that particular sketch has been in poor taste in previous weeks anyway - the first week it made fun of sufferers of domestic violence and the second week it poked fun at sexual abuse victims...

I found the comment about us being half wits offensive tbh. I obviously appreciate that it was a comedy character expressing that view and not Catherine Tate herself, but I just didn't think it was humourous at all.

Anyways, I've exercised my right as a whinging old bag this morning and sent a little complaint off to the beeb - I haven't just mentioned the OCD (though that was the main thrust of the e-mail) but I've expressed my distaste on that particular sketch as a whole. I felt I ought to - though I appreciate that others might not share my view :original: .

Edited by Guest

have emailed bbc too, told them how it was detrimental to how public and media already see ocd sufferers,

so thanks a lot bbc!!!! and the half wit bit was very hurtful.

as the psychologist told us people with ocd are usually very intelligent...

melissa

Guest Fallen Angel

I wasnt going to add to this thread further as i felt it was going round in circles,but I think one thing that ought to be mentioned with regards to the sketch is that Catherine Tate plays a CHARACTER who herself is the subject of ridicule,and therefore is very different to a stand up comedian or someone acting themselves and ridiculing others. As the `charity fundraiser` the character in itself is totally ridiculous so maybe the laugh is more on those misinformed individuals that try to martyr themselves over a cause rather than the sufferers?Just a thought.

Edited by Guest
Guest HayleyMartin

hi all

i just wanted to say that i have just seen the whole sketch this morning and i still found it very funny

i dont feel offended by it at all, but that is my sense of humor. maybe its just what i do to get through my ocd laugh at things and mostly at myself and for that i cant appologise as for me if i didnt laugh i am totally scared of the depths i would sink to .

i can see why it offends people and well done for raising your complaint .

take care

i'm just adding my views here because i want to support biccy-and i don't want her to have to stand up on her own .

so i am very sorry , please i apologise in advance and fully respect your views but i have to agree with biccy here- sorry :surrender: :blushing:

i am ever so very sorry if i have offended anyone- i really am sorry- never meant to honestly :weep: , but i just use humour in the way that biccy has described ie-quote as for me, if i didn't laugh...i am totally scared of the depths i would sink to

i use humour in that way too for that very reason

really please forgive me for this -please i hope i haven't hurt anyone

p.s good point sam - u really are clever- your not a half wit are you !!! (sorry babe-my stupid sense of humour :headslap: )

Edited by Guest

so i am very sorry , please i apologise in advance

Consider you hand slapped now... I have noticed this before and you must not ever apologise on here for having your opinion Hayley. Your opinion is every bit as important as mine and the other 2000 people on here so never apologise. Of course people may disagree, but they may be wrong to disagree, so never apologise.

I used humour too, but there is a huge difference between us using humour to cope and someone with 'presumably' no OCD connection making fun of those of us with OCD. I have written to the producer and asked if he could find out why the writer chose to use OCD for a sketch, so I do await that reply.

What is important to remember that in the past the Sun have run some poor OCD stories, but despite the naff quality they did to some extent raise awareness because they were at least trying to educate. However, this sketch offers no type of educational or awareness purpose its only intent is to poke fun (from what I can tell from you guys who saw it).

i'm just adding my views here because i want to support biccy-and i don't want her to have to stand up on her own .

so i am very sorry , please i apologise in advance and fully respect your views but i have to agree with biccy here- sorry :surrender: :blushing:

i am ever so very sorry if i have offended anyone- i really am sorry- never meant to honestly :weep: , but i just use humour in the way that biccy has described ie-quote as for me, if i didn't laugh...i am totally scared of the depths i would sink to

i use humour in that way too for that very reason

really please forgive me for this -please i hope i haven't hurt anyone

p.s good point sam - u really are clever- your not a half wit are you !!! (sorry babe-my stupid sense of humour :headslap: )

thanks hayley

like you i totally respect everyones opinions on this matter

and just to say again to all those who have not yet managed to write to your mp about ocd see this mentioned earlier on this thread and on the main page , why not do it at the same time as your letters to the bbc , just a thought

take care all

Edited by Guest

sorry guys I still find it really funny :a1_cheesygrin:

by laughing at myself it's easier to deal with.

also I agree with Samantha, it's the character who is mainly being made fun of, as she is an idiot anyway lol

anyway that's just my view

H

Guest Glitter

Hi all,

I also turned on the tv just a couple of minutes before the sketch came on (and consequently a couple of seconds after it finished). Like a few people I found the trailer quite amusing but the sketch went way too far. I know it is not meant for public awareness but I think it gave a very negative outsiders opinion to OCD. People know so little about OCD as it is, they don't need their opinion being informed only by a sketch such as that. :wontlisten:

Glitter

I am a big CT fan and love her stuff; to be honest I didn't know whether to be offended or amused at the sketch last night (perhaps it was a mixture of both?). Unfortunately, it may reinforce many (negative) stereotypes people might have. :thumbdown:

On the plus side, it was amusing to many people too I'm sure and sometimes lighthearted humour can bring good awareness to more serious issues. :wink:

So, I must admit I'm on the fence with this!

It's pretty sad that someone has registered the site: www.christivelefttheironon.co.uk/noihavent/yesihave mentioned in the show, which redirects if you take a look.

PS: What did she say in the sketch again about people with OCD, "saddos" or something similar? Can't remember. That I didn't appreciate TBH.

Edited by Guest
Guest ChattyCathy

hi

i havent seen the sketch but if i were to see it i dont think that i will be offended. making jokes abt ocd is okay as long as the person making the joke knows how hard it can be.

i am happy that some of you have complaint to bbc because making jokes abt ocd this way isnt the way to go

I have to say, I do laugh at OCD comedy (Dirty Filthy Love), but not once did I find this sketch funny. I was not offended by it, rather more angry that this stupid woman (and or writer) chose to ridicule the condition without a clear understanding of it.

But the this is now the second epsiode of her show I have watched and so far not even raised a grin. If this is new comedy, I will stick with the old fashioned type, you know, comedy that makes you laugh.