I feel terrible now.

I'm posting too much I know.

every single comment has helped me.

I'm sorry its ny fault I don't want anyone getting annoyed here because I'm being selfish and,not listening.

its the worst its ever been for me I'm really sorry for the constant posts x

everyone has been helping me

I feel terrible now.

I'm sorry its ny fault I don't want anyone getting annoyed here because I'm being selfish and,not listening.

We know you can't help it we have all been through it :-)

I'm just get annoyed with all the reassuring as in the long run it's not helping you . I understand others just want to help though xx

Add and everyone has been helping. I hope no one is mad.

like I say I'm at rock bottom right now everyday is a struggle.

checking out of the hotel soon. Obviously I want to take the pillow cases off the pillows. They smell of hair dye, my palms are sweating so much

in fact what one would/should be saying go dye it again gem, let the stuff fly around , not discuss the danger , there

is no discussion with ocd , ever, its about expsosures and cbt

Alright, go ahead and tell her to do that. Doesn’t mean she will listen to you and it won’t also be a waste of time.

There is the OCD side and the logical side (That we don’t lose when we have OCD). And if even the logical side of a person is not understanding that something is OCD and greatly exaggerated, then it buys into whatever the OCD tells it and won't have any motivation to do the opposite cause it believes it's logical. There is what your OCD believes and there is what your logic believes. Logic listens to logic (or else it falls for the OCD). It's not convincing the OCD side, it's convincing the logical side so that it has the courage to stop listening to the OCD.

And your 'evidence' that it is dangerous is cause the facts don't effect and convince the OCD. Though no one is trying to convince the OCD, only the logical portion of one's brain. Then from there… they can have motivation and reason to resist the OCD. Even John Nash realized this about his hallucinations once he gained the insight that they were not real and that the little girl never even aged.

Or your evidence is that someone is not instantly better and instantly their OCD stops looping the intrusive thoughts and illusions and reassurance seeking. Why would that happen? Of course it's not going to. One has to still ignore it. The reason is only to get to the point of letting go and motivation and reason to ignore.

Of course no one 100% disbelieves their OCD and doesn't doubt that it is real or telling them the truth. Though at least they have a fairly good idea of it and don't fully buy into it (insight). The less they have that, the more they fall for the OCD and give into the compulsions.

Once you have that insight that it is OCD you can know to ignore it. You don't argue with or try to convince or reassure the OCD. Though you have to have that grounding of understanding it is at least likely OCD.

Once I knew things were OCD/GAD, I did not do further research or look things up etc. In fact I did the complete opposite of that and went out of my way to avoid all media or talk of the things that messed up my OCD. The last thing I needed was finding negative stories or scare mongering articles or detailed descriptions of things that would distort the perception or blow up my imagination about them out of proportion and create intrusive thoughts. I still stay away from anything that involves my sensitive subjects and that works for me to keep them OFF my mind and imagination!

Edited by ADD

Alright, go ahead and tell her to do that. Doesn’t mean she will listen to you and it won’t also be a waste of time.

There is the OCD side and the logical side (That we don’t lose when we have OCD). And if even the logical side of a person is not understanding that something is OCD and greatly exaggerated, then it buys into whatever the OCD tells it and won't have any motivation to do the opposite cause it believes it's logical. There is what your OCD believes and there is what your logic believes. Logic listens to logic (or else it falls for the OCD). It's not convincing the OCD side, it's convincing the logical side so that it has the courage to stop listening to the OCD.

And your 'evidence' that it is dangerous is cause the facts don't effect and convince the OCD. Though no one is trying to convince the OCD, only the logical portion of one's brain. Then from there… they can have motivation and reason to resist the OCD. Even John Nash realized this about his hallucinations once he gained the insight that they were not real and that the little girl never even aged.

Or your evidence is that someone is not instantly better and instantly their OCD stops looping the intrusive thoughts and illusions and reassurance seeking. Why would that happen? Of course it's not going to. One has to still ignore it. The reason is only to get to the point of letting go and motivation and reason to ignore.

Of course no one 100% disbelieves their OCD and doesn't doubt that it is real or telling them the truth. Though at least they have a fairly good idea of it and don't fully buy into it (insight). The less they have that, the more they fall for the OCD and give into the compulsions.

Once you have that insight that it is OCD you can know to ignore it. You don't argue with or try to convince or reassure the OCD. Though you have to have that grounding of understanding it is at least likely OCD.

Once I knew things were OCD/GAD, I did not do further research or look things up etc. In fact I did the complete opposite of that and went out of my way to avoid all media or talk of the things that messed up my OCD. The last thing I needed was finding negative stories or scare mongering articles or detailed descriptions of things that would distort the perception or blow up my imagination about them out of proportion and create intrusive thoughts. I still stay away from anything that involves my sensitive subjects and that works for me to keep them OFF my mind and imagination!

Everything you say go against what I have learnt about OCD I'm not saying your wrong but until there is proof in what you say we should listen to what works , or it could be damaging to someone's recovery

Guest legend

pussyfooting isnt the route to recovery imo.

nor is advising someone to avoid the thing they fear.

Edited by legend

Everything you say go against what I have learnt about OCD I'm not saying your wrong but until there is proof in what you say we should listen to what works , or it could be damaging to someone's recovery

Everything?

So you guys have been taught that when someone gets OCD they lose the ability to reason and have insight and are basically in psychosis or something?

Suddenly they are completely illogical and there is no reasoning with such a person. They basically become completely stupid overnight?

Seems rather insulting whoever taught you that.

So who do you listen to since you don't have any intelligence left to trust your own logic?

Everything?

So you guys have been taught that when someone gets OCD they lose the ability to reason and have insight and are basically in psychosis or something?

Suddenly they are completely illogical and there is no reasoning with such a person. They basically become completely stupid overnight?

Seems rather insulting whoever taught you that.

So who do you listen to since you don't have any intelligence left to trust your own logic?

That's not what she's saying.

To begin with reason and logic might work to begin with regarding OCD and might help someone see sense. However in this particular case with Gemzi it's gone way beyond this and has proven to not work as she still comes back to the forum again and again asking for reassurance, which people are shamelessly giving her.

Many people with OCD cannot grasp the concept of risk no matter how small, it's all or nothing in their eyes. Gemzi finally made a huge step yesterday leaving the towels with the hair dye and we should be actively encouraging her to keep progressing and not continuing to feed her disorder.

If OCD sufferers 'trusted in their logic' we would just continue to do compulsions, over and over because that's what our brain is telling us to do. We actively go against everything our brain is telling us to beat this disorder and it's got nothing to do with how 'intelligent' you are.

Thinking got us into this mess, thinking will not get us out of it.

pussyfooting isnt the route to recovery imo.

nor is advising someone to avoid the thing they fear.

Who advised anyone to avoid the thing they fear? I never said she should not touch anything or colour her hair.

ADD IF your avoiding things your still performing compulsions ...

Oh really?

So avoiding performing compulsions is a compulsion? Avoiding ruminating is a compulsion? Avoiding researching things is a compulsion? Avoiding talking about one's OCD every 3 seconds hoping for reassurance is a compulsion? Avoiding checking things is a compulsion? Avoiding obsessing is a compulsion? Avoiding thinking about something (like most people do) is a compulsion?

lol! Whatever. You guys think everything is a compulsion. If Gemzi looks up the information and spends hours reading published data about her fear then that is a compulsion. Though if she avoids doing that and reading that stuff it'll also be a compulsion.

All I know is that by avoiding thinking about the things that mess up my imagination and avoid thinking about them in any detail, and avoiding scare mongering media about them, I have been 100% functional in REAL LIFE in not avoiding those things. I can function and DO all the things I wasn't able to before by avoiding thinking about them in any detail that messed me up before.

I'll take that any day over being housebound and dysfunctional and tormented in my mind!

I was only responding to her doubt that it was OCD at all and that it was logical and proven. If she really knows it is OCD then great...

If OCD sufferers 'trusted in their logic' we would just continue to do compulsions, over and over because that's what our brain is telling us to do. We actively go against everything our brain is telling us to beat this disorder and it's got nothing to do with how 'intelligent' you are.

You are confusing the OCD for logic, or everything your brain says as logic. The OCD is not logical, that is the emotional lizard brain talking. The neocortex is the logical part of the brain and it doesn't agree with the irrationality of the OCD. If it did, NO ONE would seek any help or try to stop it. It is only cause of the logical neocortex that they can see it is irrational and dysfunctional and that they shouldn't feel that way even though they do and that they need help!

Edited by ADD

I feel terrible now.

I'm sorry I've caused your thread to go off topic and cause a debate Gem! I really was just trying to help. I hope you're feeling better or at least tolerating the intrusive thoughts better. x

Edited by ADD

I'm sorry I've caused your threat to go off topic and cause a debate Gem! I really was just trying to help. I hope you're feeling better or at least tolerating the intrusive thoughts better. x

everyone's help has been amazing.

so lucky to have you guys giving me the support, debates are debates, end of the day everyone is trying to help and they are.

I'm getting so much more insight and I keep reading back on comments cause they're so helpful

x

Hi Gemz, I've read through a couple of your threads. It sounds like you've been having a very hard time! Good job tackling the pillow, it must have been difficult for you to do that. I hope you can see that as a positive step :)

Struggling a bit. Washed my hair and the lather was still brown/red quite a bit. Its been washed 4 times never had this with a permanent colour before? Obviously got a bit now on the white towel too. Scared to lay my head down anywhere.