What triggers my OCD

Does anybody get triggered when they watch a scary movie, or a movie involving immense violence? I’ll be watching say gogglebox which I really enjoy and then a horror, gory, bloody scene comes on which triggers my OCD and intrusive thoughts massively…. Does anybody else get triggered by the simplistic of things such as TV show’s etc ?

12 minutes ago, Summer9173 said:

Does anybody get triggered when they watch a scary movie, or a movie involving immense violence? I’ll be watching say gogglebox which I really enjoy and then a horror, gory, bloody scene comes on which triggers my OCD and intrusive thoughts massively…. Does anybody else get triggered by the simplistic of things such as TV show’s etc ?

Hey summer,

I wouldn’t say it’s gore necessarily for me, but if something crops up on one of my current obsessions then it’s really triggering and I think “oh it’s a sign that my thoughts are right!” Which is annoying, exhausting and nonsensical just like stupid OCD in general ??

I guess it depends on what your intrusive  thoughts centre around, is it to do with violence etc?

I would say that’s quite common even for people without OCD. In fact, I used to get it every time I would see someone on TV pass out or get a heart attack. You have to remember that you can’t control the thoughts that pop into your head. Every moment that you’re awake your brain is scanning your environment for danger but it is doing so subconsciously. What would happen occasionally is your brain would identify something in your environment which it thinks might be a real danger and it would push it into your conscious mind to try and keep you safe. In other words, it’s using its messenger system to send you a thought with a goal to warn you of potential danger. From that point onwards, it is all in your hands in terms of what you decide to do with that warning. You could either confirm to your brain the danger is real so that it would continue sending you such thoughts or you could flag it as false alarm in which case your brain would eventually learn there is no danger and therefore no need for any conscious warning. The way you do that is by not performing compulsions.

Edited by dan9911

Thank you both @Uphillstrugglesand @dan9911 For your kind and relatable reply’s. I just feel like I can’t escape it. I’m starting to get harm OCD intrusive thoughts now which are quite vivid and so disabilitating. I refuse to go out etc. I feel like I’m just paralysed in my room in case I actually hurt somebody :( dreams are also a massive trigger for me too as it’s like watching a movie which I try to avoid, I do wake up remembering so much of it and it’s so horrible and vivid :( it’s so exhausting isn’t it, you think like ah here we go again then I try to tell professionals as I’m on this long wait list for the CMHT and I feel like I’m bugging them!

You have to stop running and hiding Summer ?  That starts with a thorough understanding of the "cause" of your harm thoughts which, as you now know, are caused by OCD.  They're not valid thoughts that need precautions putting in place.  Your real problem is a fear of fear but by changing your response and reaction you can change this.  Ultimately this is what you will need to do and what your therapist will help you with.  My advice (as one who's been there) is to start facing these fears on a daily basis.  You can start with smaller things like leaving your room but then building a hierarchy of things you avoid