Is it bad to want to get better because of someone?

Hi all, 

I feel a little silly writing this one, but it’s confusing me. 

I know people say the only way you’ll ever get better is to find a way to do it for yourself, and I agree with that, but I’m wondering if it is then inherently bad to want to get better because someone in your life makes you want to be better, for them and for yourself, and helps you to do that? 

Today I ignored a lot of compulsions and avoidance, did stuff that I never thought I’d be able to do, just because I felt able to and felt like I wanted to try because of my boyfriend. He never pushes me and he goes along with my compulsions and he’s very supportive and I guess it just made me feel comfortable enough to try. But I’m wondering if it’s going to backfire on me because I’m not doing it only for me. 

bit of a long winded one, I’d appreciate any advice, or any stories anyone has to share on the subject. 

vi x

I think it's quite lovely to hear, that love makes you stop doing compulsions - as long as you stop them, you'll automatically regain control of your life. 

I would say you're fine and there is no need to worry about what the motives of stopping compulsions are :)

I don’t think it’s bad at all. It sounds like you want to get better for both yourself and your boyfriend and because you want both of you to be able to enjoy your relationship! You’re doing the work to improve you and the people around you’s quality of life. Getting support or strength from other people isn’t a bad thing, it’s a lovely thing! But ultimately you are the one doing the hard work so give yourself a pat on the back.