I'm not sure how many people have seen this equation, but it's helped me understand why my anxiety can't be reduced in the same way as many other people's.  I wanted to link it in the chat on the Tuesday group as it seemed relevant, but ran out of time, so will post it here.

image.thumb.png.f40a42168fd52fe118a8ba0f2bb58a23.png

The important part for me there is how well you believe you'd cope and then what external factors could help.  Not intending to scare anyone, but for people that live alone who tend to 'panic' or 'white knuckle' with reduced functional ability rather than cope, and without anyone local on hand to help, that considerably reduces the division number at the bottom!

Covid fears are a prime example for this.  The risk of catching Covid is still quite high.  The consequences could be variable - but for me personally, based on previous experience, the consequences would most likely be unmanageable.  That makes a large number on the top.  I wouldn't be able to cope (based on previous experiences), and wouldn't be able to have any external help without causing more intolerable symptoms.  (I can't deal with my own body, adding more bodies just makes things worse!)  Making the number on the bottom very small.  Meaning the 'anxiety' number would be high, and importantly, valid!

Of course, OCD latches on to this for me, as it does others.  But I wanted people to consider breaking down some of their fears using this equation...trying to work out whether the reality would actually be as bad as the immediate catastrophising suggests, and then what could realistically be done to help.  The obvious thing here is  living with a partner or relatives who may be able to physically help if you got into difficulty. 

So going back to the Covid example...is it the physical symptoms that you fear due to low pain & discomfort tolerance (as it partly is in my case!), or is it fears about being stuck in bed and not being able to manage daily tasks?  If it's the latter, could a relative help you with those tasks for a few days?

I know this is more about anxiety, but OCD doesn't have any impact without some anxiety to latch on to, so I think it is relevant here.  And may in turn help some people 'take the plunge' knowing the reality of the risk may not be as bad as initially believed. :smile:

A very useful equation and very true. :yes:

OCD typically increases the anticipated danger, increases the awfulness of the imagined consequences and reduces the belief that you can cope which makes the anxiety number huge.

Thanks so much for sharing this Keyboard Worrier! It is an excellent equation, I first saw it on Paul Salkovskis' Health Anxiety webinar and Sævar Már Gústavsson's webinar on GAD (both available here https://www.ocduk.org/webinar-series/ ) and it really resonated with me too! In terms of the Covid example (which has been a huge trigger for me too), I also considered the external 'rescue' factors that are wider than my immediate support network - medical professionals, increased knowledge, effective treatments that exist now etc which has helped me to get things more into perspective when OCD starts trying to get a hold over me! I'm really glad it has helped you, it is something I want to utilise more widely too