The Good News Is.....

That the brain is said to be "plastic", meaning that its thinking is malleable and it can be retrained into new ways of thinking, stimulating new behaviours.

So, whatever unhelpful learned thinking and behaviours we have fallen into, and over whatever time period, it is possible - with the right guidance, and the patient's willingness to make the necessary thinking and behavioural  changes- to wean ourselves away from obsessional thinking and the carrying out of compulsions, which as we all know,  leads only to disorder and distress.

Exactly what combination of tools each of us may need is subjective - but if something fundamental isn't working, then perhaps  we need professional help to establish why that is, and how to change it.

In my own case, I eventually found the answer to what was holding me back. Over a number of years various trained therapists had sought to help me keep OCD at bay and avoid relapses - but without success.

But I persevered, didn't give up, and found two therapists that in two periods of therapy spread over two years, combined to determine the exact mix of CBT, mindfulness, meditation and involved beneficial activities that led to my goals being met.

For me, we are all different - even if our obsessions may be similar, our own particular mix of mental strengths and weaknesses will differ - and this is what needs to be addressed for us to succeed.

Neuroplasticity it is called. But it’s also believed that the brain cells do not regenerate (neurogenesis), but new research found certain areas of the brain can do this. 

But compulsions are symptoms, what about the cause?

Yes I believe in this idea, we can over ride negative thoughts and build new neural pathways. Most of my negative thoughts about myself go back to childhood, so that's why I've been congratulating myself for achieving anything. My parents did the opposite and undermined my self worth. So it's a bit like me trying to parent myself in a positive way.

Positive feedback to counter and over ride the negative. I have no idea how my OCD started but it could be that I lived in an arbitrary, uncertain reality, and I needed to feel in control of something. I see OCD as a sort of control labyrinth I contructed to protect myself. I tiny bit of control over my immediate reality.

But the problem was whenever I saw my parents or even sister(who had accepted the same attitude towards me), it undid all my positivity.

Many people have wondered how I survived some of what's happened. But as a child I analysed the situation and realised I just had to survive until I left home and then I'd be free. I sort of projected myself into a happier future.

So I am an optimist, I always believed in a better future and my own ability to adapt and grow.