Art is everywhere.

howard

1 hour ago, bendylouise said:

Wow thanks @ocdjonesy I've had a quick read for now and am going to do more later.  What a beautiful way to repair an object. I broke an indoor flowerpot the other day ............Mmmmm.............🤔 😉

You can pick up kintsugi kits pretty easily and I think cheaply these days?  I have two people have gifted me stuck in cupboards somewhere 🤣

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, ocdjonesy said:

You can pick up kintsugi kits pretty easily and I think cheaply these days?  I have two people have gifted me stuck in cupboards somewhere 🤣

yeah, I forgot that you can get almost anything nowadays! I doubt if it would be worth it for my tiny pot, but good to know.

It's interesting that rather than restore ceramics to be perfect they make a feature of the cracks, kintsugi also seems to be a philosophy and art form. There is a sort of stiving for perfection in western art, sculptors enhanced their work to create human form perfection.

And of course there's an anology with human 'imperfections' which is also a feature that makes us unique.

Bouke de Vries user broken parts to create something new>

0602_fl-my-blue-china-bouke-de-vries_100

2 hours ago, howard said:

It's interesting that rather than restore ceramics to be perfect they make a feature of the cracks, kintsugi also seems to be a philosophy and art form. There is a sort of stiving for perfection in western art, sculptors enhanced their work to create human form perfection.

And of course there's an anology with human 'imperfections' which is also a feature that makes us unique. user broken parts to create something new>

0602_fl-my-blue-china-bouke-de-vries_100

I kinda like the incongruity of this piece – it's crazy and fun and just real somehow.. The smooth and glossy against the jagged and sharp and rough (broken). Love the mouth part. And the top of the head. Tried to look it up, but there's something going wrong with my Internet at the moment. Do you know when it was made? 

Definitely contemporary, as far as I can tell Bouke de Vries is a Dutch artist who lives in London. I think the materials he's chosen one traditional and the modernist Mao are significant.

There were also ideas around about chopping up and reintegrating texts which I think came from Burroughs and even made it's way into pop music + other ideas about deconstruction and novel reconstruction.

Here's another I found down the Kintsugi rabbit hole, Yuichi Ikehata who apperas to make realistic if incomplete wire sculptures which he then photographs and adds some digital realism to>

yuichi-ikehata-11.jpg

On 26/02/2024 at 18:54, bendylouise said:

i love daffs and saw some in early jan out my window.  Here is my effort 😀 using a tutorial of course.

image.png.23a9a4a956d540f4e2936b597c4e10b3.png

They’re lovely, Friday’s the meteorological first day of spring too!
Something to celebrate…

I didnt stretch the paper for this one and you can tell the difference. Also, dont know why it looks so dull and blurred.  Its much brighter and clearer in real life and in the orig photo.

image.png.673378488031e75909e6d27eafdf4f5d.png.bbe8cee135d2accda7c61edb837f4c8a.png

It's an interesting idea expressing emotions and thoughts in visual form by just doodling, using repetitive lines and playing and the 'slightly crazy' energy is apparent in the first one. Also good way to distract the mind into that right brain non verbal.

I think that's what most of the art I like is for me. I think making images that replicate what we see to be a bit easy as a choice, although technically brilliant.

It's only when artists start to play with perception, abstraction, etc ,etc, through to abstract expressionism that it gets interesting and I see lines and colour as emotion. Maybe art is a bit like singing, emotion is projected through the voice, only it's through a painting.

Ernst Ludwig Kirchner>

481052@2x.jpg

3 hours ago, howard said:

It's an interesting idea expressing emotions and thoughts in visual form by just doodling, using repetitive lines and playing and the 'slightly crazy' energy is apparent in the first one. Also good way to distract the mind into that right brain non verbal.

I think it's useful to put your feelings onto paper like that – after all art therapy's a thing. I think it is very interesting and telling to watch how young children choose to paint if for instance asked to paint a picture of their family or home life it can reveal unexpressed emotions. 

I just needed the rhythm of the repetition to calm my mind and getting out of it, while listening to some interesting music in the background helped when I was getting little mental peace. I don't have the option of walking much to get repetitive movement, which I would be a great way of getting worn out and the endorphines released in a calming way.

4 hours ago, howard said:

I think that's what most of the art I like is for me. I think making images that replicate what we see to be a bit easy as a choice, although technically brilliant.

So you love it when you are released from your logical thinking (verbal) brain and experience the more intuitive, feeling side. I like intuitive painting. It just goes where it needs to go at the time and although there is some thought going into the painting and doodling, it's much less stressful than trying to achieve perfection or a certain image. However, when I was a kid, I used to love copying images (drawing) and I still do.

There's a yearning to be at least a little bit proficient in perspective, shading, and using watercolour techniques before being freer in my painting. I don't think I've got much creative imagination really whereas your ideas and thoughts are very interesting, curious and creative. I just like to show my stuff on here because I might get some constructive or interesting feedback, and I like that as I don't really show my stuff to anyone on a daily basis. 

How is your hessian using project going?

I really like that Kirshner work. I do like that expressionist type of painting as it seems it's there for expressing feelings in a colourful almost cartoonlike manner to exaggerate the meaning and intensity. Kirshner had a dramatic, tragic existence it seems and was one of the many artists whose work was deemed degenerate by Hitler's regime. He killed (shot) himself while living outside Germany, thinking that Switzerland was next to be annexed.  

Franz Marc, Fighting Forms 1914

image.png.bf7ae1c414977fb61f905d6709c03fec.png

Edited by bendylouise

Oh yes I've made lots of rhythmic marks and dots, it is soothing. It's so great all my life noise and banging sounds have really disturbed me and stressed me out, but noise cancelling headphones...I can shut the world out.

I think we learn from copying images or nature(learning exercises in perspective,etc) but it's when we create something really new that it feels like that leap. I did watch a YT tutorial about Neurographic images and it's that freeing up to just play that is creative and fun.

(I'm wondering, I've given the council until next week to get the work done so I can clear the room, maybe they are broke).

But I'll get round to finishing that pic soon🙂

Another Kirchner>

self-portrait.jpg!Large.jpg

14 hours ago, howard said:

Oh yes I've made lots of rhythmic marks and dots, it is soothing. It's so great all my life noise and banging sounds have really disturbed me and stressed me out, but noise cancelling headphones...I can shut the world out.

I think we learn from copying images or nature(learning exercises in perspective,etc) but it's when we create something really new that it feels like that leap. I did watch a YT tutorial about Neurographic images and it's that freeing up to just play that is creative and fun.

(I'm wondering, I've given the council until next week to get the work done so I can clear the room, maybe they are broke).

But I'll get round to finishing that pic soon🙂

Another Kirchner>

self-portrait.jpg!Large.jpg

That's another great painting. Self portrait? Seems like. Colours are so gorgeous and strong, really bold. Is there any significance in the pattern on the wall looking like a swastik symbol meaning well-being in various ancient cultures? Seems ironic. And the position of the right hand? And the painting on  the wall? What do you think? Just wondering 🙂

Yes I've always like that Franz Marc painting. I would see that as an emotional psychological picture. I think artists at that time were rebelling and trying to re-establish the importance of emotions especially in men.

Yes it seems that many European artists went through some tough times in what was happening in say Germany at that time and the psychological consequences on them. The artists were trying to reinvent the world, not only moving forward from traditional art form representation, but also hoping to instigate a reinvention for humanity. So seeing the Nazis rise to power set that back and like you say Kirchner's work was destroyed or sold off abroad. Which must have been disheartening on a number of levels.

In the self portrait above(again with his cat) I was mainly intrigued by the blank left side of his face and that strong orange pattern in the foreground and yes the arms/hands are placed in a stylised way.

4 hours ago, howard said:

I was mainly intrigued by the blank left side of his face and that strong orange pattern in the foreground

So was i.  I was trying to think what it meant but then realised it was probably just in shadow and you can see the impression of the left eye and nose. 😉 I like the way you can see the blue of the sofa through the cat!

Edited by bendylouise

I realise now that most of the artists I got into at first were on that Degenerate list but I came to each for different reasons, like Kirchner because he used traditional woodcuts and translated that to his art, Kurt Schwitters with his collages and his Merzbau installations, here's the one he made in England>

Merzbarn-with-gentians-and-pingpong-1024

I've just had a quick read about Kurt Schwitters Merzbau work. He was  immersed in these Dada installations, his home and studio being installation themselves. Sad, the originals were destroyed. They seem to be like an architectural collage. 

The installation above reminds me, a bit of a Kandinski painting if that isn't too ridiculous – sculptural abstraction obviously.

Kurt Schwitters. Picture with Light Center. 1919. Cut-and-pasted colored paper and printed paper, watercolor, oil, and pencil on board

The emerald green, really compliments the browns and produces a stunning picture I think.

image.thumb.png.222623e9a3f2612a4d86a8c012c71ef1.png 

Edited by bendylouise

I just found the whole Merzbau project to be fascinating, an art work but also absurd. It was supposed to spread from city to city like an installational virus but was bombed by the RAF. I also dislike box shaped rooms.

image.png.0bd207168cc9e2d4692383f1c239fe2a.png

And there were a few reconstructions. Just looking at the news, another art work attack protest, so I wondered how far these physical attacks went back.

I think old gods and leader's portraits were often destroyed when they went out of favour. Even reconstructed in the image of a new leader as we saw with Egyptians. There have been mass religious and cultural destructions of art and books when a new religion or culture became dominatant.

The suffragette's made a protest by defacing Velazquez's Rokeby Venus, Tomoko Yonezu spray painted the Mona Lisa in a protest about disibility rights, Tony Shafrazi sprayed a slogan on Guernica......so it seems most famous art works are a target for protests.

Which made me think about restorers. I find their work fascinating as well; removing layers of old varnish, repair and repainting...often revealing what the original painting looked like.

the-art-doctor-before-and-after-virgin-o

On 08/03/2024 at 17:51, howard said:

Just looking at the news, another art work attack protest, so I wondered how far these physical attacks went back.

As you say, the Egyptions repurposed existing statues and i imagine that physical attacks on artworks/idols has always occured as long as they have had any importance to a group of people. 

I seem to be obsessed with making abstract art pieces at mo. At least it stops me thinking for a while and like I've achieved something. Here i tried to use coloured pencil scrapings on watercolour but it didnt work well.

6ED705A9-775C-491C-B2DA-722AD15E64B0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f82f78c99c41e009bdabc18b6eff6cae.jpeg 

Edited by bendylouise
On 07/03/2024 at 13:05, bendylouise said:

I love this - Rift - 1926 by Wassily Kandinsky - just aesthetically without trying to go into it any further. I suppose he would've been on the degenerate list too.

image.png.2586034b3942daf8c6f24721b229e3d6.png

I can see how much experimentation was going on from late 19th to mid-20th century, so Schwitters and Kandinsky were a part of that and there are similarilties between the collages and paintings. Kandinsky really leaped in stages from a sort of natural impressionism through to pure abstraction. He saw his work as spiritual but I see it as intellectual.

The first three of this series were destroyed as Kandinsky was on the list of modernists.

Composition VII>

36.jpg