Art is everywhere.

howard

i dreamt very vividly that long white worms kept burrowing into my skin a few nights ago.  Sometimes I couldn't get to them quick enough to pull them out before they disappeared under my skin. I had another dream, the same night, completely different and also clear and vivid. Rather have dreams like that, than the debilitating thoughts, I'm getting now.

Reworked one of my drawings yesterday as I looked at and it was so different from the one I was copying. I think it's better now - it was annoying me and I wanted to try to get it righter.   I'm just trying to distract myself at mo by posting this. I feel like ****.

75D33CBE-08DB-4391-88AF-68CDB4E15021_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.fbee0d0482f393b2de32e9c171f2011f.jpeg

A367CE2C-B1D7-40CE-BECF-99204BAE7227_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.74022e2868162329c5f2111cdbb89dd9.jpeg

Oh just realised I didn't post the original one – oh well. Here it is! hA ha sorry I'm taking up so much room.

17FC3B2A-059B-4E51-975B-CB95E2D25151_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.54ecbb0835cd3c76f84dd6a9facb4430.jpeg

Edited by bendylouise
clarity
  • Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So how are you today? You've certainly found a good distraction with your art.

I think I always have a number of backup strategies for when I'm feeling low. I've built them up overtime and even forget them until needed.

Prior to the Romantics, dreams were considered to be a religious experience and the art refelected that as people believed they were accessing a divine truth or experience.

The Romantics saw dreams as personal revelations.

Odilon Redon, 'Ophelia'>

redonophelia.jpg

Edited by howard
I always miss the missing letters until.......
4 hours ago, howard said:

So how are you today? You've certainly found a good distraction with your art.

Not so bad today. I dont do enough with other people.  I want to be able to do things easily (ordinary activities). I had an awful day yesterday,(with ocd, not depression) and I feel so trapped.

I just did another drawing, and the face is much too wide! Have your contractors finished? What were they doing this time? If you don't mind me asking? Did the other problem get sorted?

That's a lovely painting above. When I was a kid, probably like many others, I had a dream I could fly, and I really believed it somehow. I thought that in my dreams, the truth lay.

54 minutes ago, bendylouise said:

Not so bad today. I dont do enough with other people.  I want to be able to do things easily (ordinary activities). I had an awful day yesterday,(with ocd, not depression) and I feel so trapped.

I just did another drawing, and the face is much too wide! Have your contractors finished? What were they doing this time? If you don't mind me asking? Did the other problem get sorted?

That's a lovely painting above. When I was a kid, probably like many others, I had a dream I could fly, and I really believed it somehow. I thought that in my dreams, the truth lay.

I've got used to sometimes feeling physically drained or mentally drained, it's just like this ebb and flow, so I make the most of my energy days. I think people do hibernate in the middle of winter and I think people are shifting to more entertainment at home.

They do some painting classes around the country.

I'm just trying to be relaxed about these contractors. They have to commute at least fours hours a day so just can't be bothered. I did get use of that studio room for a while, now full of furniture.......it will all come together sometime.

I think it is healthy for us to dream, I feel like I get a short time to learn from them and then they're gone.

I've always enjoyed stained glass windows, with the sun shining through. They must have been inspiring.

Marc Chagall>

A-portion-of-Marc-Chagalls-America-Windo

Ha  I've just realised that the portrait I've just done where I thought the face looked too wide, is actually too short (eyeline to the top of the head) and this is the same sort of problem I had with the one I posted above although the angles were different so a different challenge. Anyway, I don't think I'll rework this one. I think Betty Edwards even warned of this being a problem due to the forehead maybe being thought of as unimportant/boring. I think I was knackered by the time I had done the features! And rushed the rest!

Yes, perhaps I should get a live teacher to critique my work.

Edited by bendylouise

It was just when you said you missed doing things with people, I've noticed these painting courses set up in scenic locations, like St Ives. I'm not really sure what art tutors do; they can help with techniques or maybe getting people to experiment more, but I think the other students give the best feedback.

I think two possible traits; perfectionism and requiring order, predisposition towards ocd. That's probably why it's good to have a space to be messy, let it go and just have fun. I think that's why I like the 'letting go of control idea' when creating.

It was just when you said you missed doing things with people, I've noticed these painting courses set up in scenic locations, like St Ives. I'm not really sure what art tutors do; they can help with techniques or maybe getting people to experiment more, but I think the other students give the best feedback.

If only I could just decide to do that! It's impossible for me to go and sit, or stand at an art class in the open air. I think I've already explained my physical stuff, so I'm feeling low and not wanting to do so again at the moment. even indoors, I would have to have the correct height table and high stool.

Great idea though.

Edited by bendylouise

Yes I was having some problems just because I'm not used to working on the floor or doing too much physical work these days. I just have to listen to my body and only do an hour or two say.

I'd also like to travel(to places like Sweden) but ocd makes me wary of hotels and the like, and IBS creates it's own limitations.

Paul Klee had scleroderma and other health issues which limited what he could do physically.  Frida Kahlo had spina bifida and a spinal injury, poliomyelitis and neuropathic pain.

Sometimes her bed was her studio, also here painting 'The Broken Column

34620769f78d0f0adad44247ebb5fecd.jpg?w=5

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2024 at 15:03, howard said:

Yes I was having some problems just because I'm not used to working on the floor or doing too much physical work these days. I just have to listen to my body and only do an hour or two say.

I'd also like to travel(to places like Sweden) but ocd makes me wary of hotels and the like, and IBS creates it's own limitations.

Paul Klee had scleroderma and other health issues which limited what he could do physically.  Frida Kahlo had spina bifida and a spinal injury, poliomyelitis and neuropathic pain.

Sometimes her bed was her studio, also here painting 'The Broken Column

34620769f78d0f0adad44247ebb5fecd.jpg?w=5

Frida Kahlo's work was really brilliant. What a strong woman.

I've just looked again at that pastel by Odilon Redon (above) . I think it's stunning. The bright colours are amazing,  I wonder how it was preserved, and whether pastels are able to be cleaned as well as oil paints. 

I've just bought some pastels but haven't even touched them yet. Scary. they are part of the drawing course which I'll get back to.

@Hal Did you see BBC2 programme on the Art of America last night? I've recorded it, it looked really good. Andrew Graham Dixon hosts.

Edited by bendylouise
1 hour ago, bendylouise said:

@Hal Did you see BBC2 programme on the Art of America last night? I've recorded it, it looked really good. Andrew Graham Dixon hosts.

I caught the tail end after I flicked over to watch the Bayeux Tapestry (well worth a watch) and agree with you, it looked really good. I know next to nothing about American art so will track it down on iplayer. Thanks for the heads-up though:) How are you? I haven’t been as active on the boards recently (shattered) and missed this thread. I discovered another landscape watercolourist I quite like, a chap by the name of Roland Hilder who came from the US but settled and painted here. I know they’re not ground breaking in any way, but I think they have something about them.

IMG_7948.thumb.jpeg.86c33564850553bd69163d671c5ab7b9.jpeg

Hi Hal, i'm trying to shake off some OCD, thats restricting me at the moment. I'm wondering how to atone when I've broken one of my rules through no fault of my own. Oh dear.

I hope you are shattered in a good way. I haven't posted for awhile either. Been looking at YouTube vids of arty people doing their thing. Also, I finally discovered how to successfully stretch watercolour paper – all other attempts (at least three) failed miserably. Note US Program on BBC4, not BBC2.

Hilder painting is really nice, different to what i've seen before – thanks for posting – I'll look up some more of his work tomorrow. 

Edited by bendylouise

I think you should try to give yourself permission to put you first and your wellbeing rather than the OCD’s rules. I know it’s easy for me to say that, but it might help to turn the tables and think about the rule break as an unintended exposure and refuse to atone. I’ve found the image of Donald Trump heckling me to carry out the compulsion quite a good way to bolster me not to carry it out when I’m wavering what to do. Doesn’t always work but sometimes it does. I am sorry though. 

How did you manage to stretch the paper without tearing it…do you have to wet it and time it perfectly? Not a watercolour, I came across this impressionist oil painting by someone I’d never heard of, a Maximilien Luce.

IMG_8134.thumb.jpeg.3033af5aa9bb83c29042900273e57eaa.jpeg

The Quai Saint Michel and Notre Dame, from 1901. On a day when it hasn’t stopped tipping it down I like the bluey wintry light. 

20 hours ago, Hal said:

I think you should try to give yourself permission to put you first and your wellbeing rather than the OCD’s rules. I know it’s easy for me to say that, but it might help to turn the tables and think about the rule break as an unintended exposure and refuse to atone. I’ve found the image of Donald Trump heckling me to carry out the compulsion quite a good way to bolster me not to carry it out when I’m wavering what to do. Doesn’t always work but sometimes it does. I am sorry though.

Thanks Hal. I like all you've said here. First 2 lines are really good, important i think.  i get so hooked up with the magic thinking and the rules, and i forget what good things i've decided so it is very unbalanced.  So far, I've tried to think how I can -not literally - undo what I did, but use another type (cancelling out) type of compulsion. I have to wait to do this and I don't know if it will work. It's giving me time to get a feel for what's right, but I'm restricting myself. The Donald Trump thing a good idea – I presume going against someone you don't like or respect much? 

Stretching the watercolour, paper – I used instructions on jacksonsart.com. I soaked it for about 8 to 10 minutes in a bowl, and the paper became floppy. Then I tipped the excess water off and laid the sheet on a board. I ran a damp sponge along some artist's tape and typed down for edges with the type half on and half of the paper/board. Left it to dry overnight. Did my painting (some wet on wet) and it didn't buckle. When finished and dry, I had to pierce the artist tape and slide a knife under the paper to remove it from the board.

The drawback is that you have to leave about a centimetre and a half of artist tape all round your picture. You can't remove it. However you could just cut it off. Also if you want a border, you would have to use masking tape too inside of the artists tape, reducing size of paper further. Also you have to soak your board to get the remaining half of the sticky tape off. Haven't done that yet. A bit of a palaver. 

I might try another wet on wet, just using masking tape after soaking the paper to see if that works. I doubt that the tape will stick tho' when wet. I've just done one where I just use masking tape without wetting the paper first, and it didn't buckle too much – perhaps because I may have used a board with plastic on it to do it before. Not sure. Sorry for long, long explanation. 

I like the painting and I still haven't looked up the other guy (Hilder) yet 😀 Hope to do it with a cuppa later.

Edited by bendylouise
5 hours ago, bendylouise said:

The Donald Trump thing a good idea – I presume going against someone you don't like or respect much? 

Exactly that, I think it really can help to undermine the value and importance we place on any thought (idea) or a rigid set rules by imagining someone like Trump or even a silly cartoon character like Homer Simpson dictating to do the compulsion when we wouldn’t give their opinion the time of day.  OCD to me is essentially a tinpot dictator, laugh at its cruel absurdity in spite of how awful it’s making us feel can loosen some of its power. I appreciate it’s so easy to suggest though.

5 hours ago, bendylouise said:

I might try another wet on wet, just using masking tape after soaking the paper to see if that works. I doubt that the tape will stick tho' when wet. I've just done one where I just use masking tape without wetting the paper first, and it didn't buckle too much – perhaps because I may have used a board with plastic on it to do it before. Not sure. Sorry for long, long explanation. 

I like the painting and I still haven't looked up the other guy (Hilder) yet 😀 Hope to do it with a cuppa later.

Don’t apologise, I had no idea it was even possible to do so it’s interesting to learn something new. It sounds like a craft in itself to master. I forgot to say yesterday, the Tate are holding an exhibition of Singer Sargent’s work, I don’t think the reviews have been too good, but I think I’ll order the catalogue.

On 23/02/2024 at 21:43, Hal said:

I forgot to say yesterday, the Tate are holding an exhibition of Singer Sargent’s work, I don’t think the reviews have been too good, but I think I’ll order the catalogue.

Thanks, thats useful. I'm slightly out of touch with exhibitions these days. It's even more difficult to get around them because of the state of my feet. They ache so much. They are aching now and I haven't even been out today or really done anything on my feet.

I've thought about going back to Tate Britain, but it's a little awkward also because the seating arrangements they have there don't suit me (my back) 😒 However, maybe in fine weather I'll go there again. I love Sargents work and this exhibition doesn't seem to be too large. I've probably seen many of them before but that's okay – they're so good! I'll probably look at the exhibition notes and maybe some reviews too.

By the way, sorry about the typos in other posts – i use voice activation typing and sometimes i don't check it properly. :-).

I painted some daffodils today, and they turned out better than the tulips that I did yesterday 🤣

Edited by bendylouise
On 23/02/2024 at 21:43, Hal said:

OCD to me is essentially a tinpot dictator, laugh at its cruel absurdity in spite of how awful it’s making us feel can loosen some of its power. I appreciate it’s so easy to suggest though.

I looked it up - "Tin-pot dictator (plural tin-pot dictators) An autocratic ruler with little political credibility, typically having delusions of grandeur".

That's absolutely right – tin pot, dictator. I'm going to try to use your idea. Why would I want someone like that as a guide?  My inner voice is acting just like that - I'm letting myself be possessed by Donald Trump.

On 06/02/2024 at 16:50, howard said:

I think two possible traits; perfectionism and requiring order, predisposition towards ocd. That's probably why it's good to have a space to be messy, let it go and just have fun. I think that's why I like the 'letting go of control idea' when creating.

Ive just reread and appreciate this now. I think I feel the same – it's lovely to just watch  and let the paint do what it wants when doing wet on wet watercolour. It actually knows best. I suppose that's a little way of letting go.

18 hours ago, bendylouise said:

Ive just reread and appreciate this now. I think I feel the same – it's lovely to just watch  and let the paint do what it wants when doing wet on wet watercolour. It actually knows best. I suppose that's a little way of letting go.

There were a number of ideas coming together; Taoist Wabi-sabi(acceptance of imperfection, incompleteness and transcience) which later appeared through Zen randomness(priests were ceramicists) creating unique, simple and beautiful objects. Rather than the mass produced all similar ceramics favoured in the West.

It also ties into what we were saying about Japan where the people face regular natural disasters and the concept of 'transcience' is embedded in their culture.

Plus other ideas about 'the death of the author', as a way of changing from an authoritive in control artist, to one who is open to happy accidents throughout the process.

tea-bowl.jpg

There were a number of ideas coming together; Taoist Wabi-sabi(acceptance of imperfection, incompleteness and transcience) which later appeared through Zen randomness(priests were ceramicists) creating unique, simple and beautiful objects. Rather than the mass produced all similar ceramics favoured in the West.

It also ties into what we were saying about Japan where the people face regular natural disasters and the concept of 'transcience' is embedded in their culture.

Plus other ideas about 'the death of the author', as a way of changing from an authoritive in control artist, to one who is open to happy accidents throughout the process.

tea-bowl.jpg

Interesting for people with OCD especially.  The pot is gorgeous. Where's it from?

3 hours ago, bendylouise said:

Interesting for people with OCD especially.  The pot is gorgeous. Where's it from?

16th century Japan.

It's interesting how all different aspects of their lives come together; Chinese and Indian religions, landscape of volcanoes and earthquakes (+ nuclear bombs), isolation from world and mechanisation at that time...all leading to an aesthetic which was opposite of West.

A modern example>

Kintsugi.jpg?fit=1146,728&ssl=1

25 minutes ago, howard said:

16th century Japan.

It's interesting how all different aspects of their lives come together; Chinese and Indian religions, landscape of volcanoes and earthquakes (+ nuclear bombs), isolation from world and mechanisation at that time...all leading to an aesthetic which was opposite of West.

A modern example>

Kintsugi.jpg?fit=1146,728&ssl=1

I like the gold "cracks" but I prefer the 16th century one. 

This is a beautiful bowl though. Looks like volcanic ash and molten lava. Would it be used for rice or something or is it purely a piece of art for display?

Edited by bendylouise
44 minutes ago, bendylouise said:

I like the gold "cracks" but I prefer the 16th century one. 

This is a beautiful bowl though. Looks like volcanic ash and molten lava. Would it be used for rice or something or is it purely a piece of art for display?

It’s just kintsugi - which is the practice of mending a broken item with glue and precious metal dust.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi

The bowl itself looks like a pretty standard bowl.  Possibly for rice possibly for side dishes depending on the size.  

There’s a similar chinese practice called Juci that uses metal staples to do the same thing.  I’ve seen some Juci work on instagram that incorporated really intricate leaf designs used as the staples.  It’s a really beautiful artform.

IMG_1462.thumb.png.7d88bf661294f9d84f8e37ff902b80f9.png

Have a terrible instagram screen cap.

Edited by ocdjonesy