Medication stopping obsessional thoughts

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this and Sertraline? I've been on 50mg for nearly three weeks now, and really have noticed a massive improvement the past few days.

Depression has lifted. My obsessional thoughts have reduced a lot. Don't get me wrong, the obsession is still there and I still think I might have done this thing, no anxiety though? Sometimes I shock myself and realise I was concentrated on something else entirely (something outside of my own head) so didn't have any thoughts about the obsession for a minute or two. I know that sounds silly and it's not a long time at all but that is a big deal for me as I've obsessed constantly over one thing or another for the last 5 years. I do have the issue where I'm bothered by the fact that I'm not thinking about it so much, ie do I not care? Am I trying to forget? etc. but again, not really depressed or anxious.

I was on these tablets for a month a few years ago but don't remember them working this well before?

Thanks everyone

Edited by Headwreck

Hi Headwreck,

I noticed an improvement quite quickly on them too with regard to my mood and not ruminating so much. Like you, at times I worried that I wasn’t ruminating/worrying etc - remember we’re changing habits that became our ‘normal’, but they shouldn’t be, that was the OCD!

Stop over thinking it, get on with your day, your work, organising your weekend etc, and let your tablets do their work in helping the anxiety and in turn letting you use your CBT to conquer the OCD. 

When I find OCD tendencies creeping in I now busy myself, go for a walk etc, and it has got easier!

You’re doing so well, keep going! X

I have felt a lot better over the past two weeks, been in a better mood and no longer suicidal, no tears either. I do still have the thoughts a lot though and belief that I have done something but no longer ruminate about it, sometimes I catch myself not thinking about it at all. Will this belief always be there?

The depression has subsided exponentially but I'm concerned that the repetitive/obsessive thoughts were down to depression instead of OCD. Has anyone else worried about this? If the medication is working, does that confirm it is OCD? 

I still have checking behaviours about work and things being correct, leaving doors unlocked or open, taking my contraception pill at night (I don't believe I've taken it even though I know I have, have a ritual I do when taking it), etc. These don't seem to be subsiding although the constant thoughts about that night out have dulled a lot. Why one thing and not the other?

Edited by Headwreck