Probation extension

Hi everybody, 

My probation was extended for a further 3 months today (it was supposed to be the end today, I really thought I’d passed☹️) 3 months ago, I started my job in the peak of my OCD/brother being sectioned. I felt like I was doing really well, however this news has really upset me. Where I’m doing a HR apprenticeship, I also send out probation letters to the workers, when managers want to extend probations where I work it’s usually because there looking to get rid of them. I’m scared that’s what my manager is doing to me here?

He mentioned my OCD in this probation extension letter 4am the reason I haven’t made progress in certain things? It’s been 3 months of a completely new apprenticeship!! Making me feel guilty that my OCD is the cause of these mistakes. I’m currently writing this in an Uber on the way to a good friends house on a Friday night. I never thought I’d be able to work full time and be in an Uber. I’m so proud of how far I’ve come, I was completely home-bound 3 months ago and now look at me 💕 I wish my manager understood I do try my absolute hardest. He wrote a letter full of the mistakes I’d made the first 3 months of me working there :( if only he knew how debilitating OCD was. I think I’ve done so well, so so well. 3 months working full time with no sicknesses, with OCD? I’m doing better than him I think. 

So sorry to hear this Summer. It sounds like his response has been really insensitive and unfortunately I think a lot of people really don’t understand what OCD puts us through. Just remember how far you’ve come and how much you’ve achieved 💗

Summer, remember that probation is a time for both parties to check out if they are right for each other. If they weren't happy you'd have simply been told to go once the 3 month deadline was up.

That they've extended it is good news! They want you, they can see potential in you. :)  And they've given you a letter of feedback on what you need to do in the next 3 months to win the permanent contract. 

So don't start ruminating on what went wrong. Focus on the fact they didn't  just let you go after your probationary period was up and that they have given you clear guidelines on what you need to achieve to stay on. Focus on how you will achieve them to win that permanent job place. 

If they'd dismissed you and given little feedback on why then you'd have something to feel bad about. Don't make a drama out of a non-crisis.

In the coming 3 months check in with your manager once a month and ask if you're on track. Show that you want the job, show that you're trying to achieve the goals set out in the feedback you've been given. Show awareness that you have things to learn and are making an effort to learn them. That's what employers want. They don't expect perfection from day 1.

Be proud of all you've achieved so far and resolve to keep going. Don't let this dent your confidence, use the opportunity to build confidence. :)

I agree with SnowBear Summer. Pro-actively seek feedback over coming months on the things you have been asked to improve on.  a good work ethic and a good attitude to learning is a big asset, and one that many people lack. it sounds like you have these .

My wife works in HR, i could always ask her if its a technical issue you are struggling with. she has been in HR for around 20 years so has a good amount of experience. 

Thank you everybody 💗it’s more the fact I also feel like I’m being intensely micromanaged :( I have no drive to go in today as I wish they could see how hard I do work behind closed doors? I’ve ruminated about this so much over the bank holiday weekend to the point I’ve exhausted myself out.

I kind of knew not to trust him when he said ‘I wouldn’t be with my girlfriend if she was fat’ I’m sorry what??!! He has such rude and old fashioned views at 26, he also acts a bit like a ‘ponse’ so I’m not really surprised. I will be talking about the result with his manager though as he’s got a teams excel chart, of which he writes every single small mistake I do on there. I’m making these small mistakes because I’m being watched so much :( 

Hi Summer,

You have done so well, don't let this discourage you! 

Look into the 'Equality Act 2010' because although your employer can end your apprenticeship if they want to in/within the next 3 months, providing OCD as the main reason for doing so would be 'disability discrimination' and illegal. You could actually email and say that you would be willing to make any changes that he has specified over the next three months but that you have a disability (as defined by the Equality Act) and that as such you may need reasonable adjustments in places (this will highlight the fact that you have a disabling condition and hopefully make it harder for him to dismiss you in 3 months). 

Keep in mind also though that apprenticeships are cheap for employers; they don't have to pay a full-time wage so some employers will hire a string of apprentices rather than actually permanently hiring anyone and paying them a proper wage. 

It also occurred to me that sighting OCD as a reason for your probation being extended may mean he is on dodgy ground. It could be worth looking into things to do with the equality act. 

His attitude towards his girlfriend suggests he is rather shallow ! And quite immature.