Why is there no help for families?

I think it’s accepted that OCD is a disorder that affects the whole family - why then is the clinical response only focused on the individual with OCD rather than the family?

i could really do with some help disentangling myself from my sons OCD but it’s really hard to know how to do it.

You are right, the family are thew forgotten sufferers sometimes.  Of course it does vary from family to family, but there would certainly be benefits if the close family members are involved in therapy sometimes (learning what to do and what not to do). However, often this can't happen without the adult giving permission due to confidentiality issues.

The NHS does involve parents of children a little more, and we offer workshops for parents of children (CAMHS age) too which was lottery funded, but sadly due to expire soon.  We are trying to get a presentation together for family members for our online annual conference and we have alos hosted a couple of support groups for family members recently too.  None of that is enough, but a start :)

If you feel that your mental health is suffering then in theory you can request counselling/therapy through your local mental health service (IAPT). They won't be able to talk about your son, but can talk about how you are feeling. I can always look up your local therapy service should you want me to.

We are actually redesigning our call to action on the NHS and we will include action for families too.

Ashley.

Thank you - maybe the boundaries are a bit blurred in our family, hence our difficulties. I have a self help book and I can follow the guidelines about how to reduce accommodation, I’m just worried it will make him worse so I am hesitant.

I have referred myself for therapy and have an initial assessment coming up soon.

I completely understand this. My husbands OCD is affecting me incredibly and I feel there’s no escape from it, I’m constantly nervous and on edge and there’s just no help for the families and what they go through

On 03/09/2022 at 14:23, E.Stanger said:

I completely understand this. My husbands OCD is affecting me incredibly and I feel there’s no escape from it, I’m constantly nervous and on edge and there’s just no help for the families and what they go through

Hi there,

OCD-UK does provide monthly support group meetings via Zoom for friends and family who are living with or supporting someone with OCD.

The next meeting is Tuesday 27th September at 7pm.

You can read about the groups here  and can register here. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I know I’m late replying to this post but it is how we as a family feel too. OCD is never just about the person suffering particularly if you are dealing with a child or young person. I don’t know whether you are under CAMHS or even if all CAMHS are the same but we have been referred to Family Intervention which will include therapy for us as a family. It hasn’t started yet but you could ask for the same? All the best 🤞

In USA, families can join in sessions. They even have a TV program called Obsessed that involves family.

A lot of forum members can give a good perspective on your situation.

Putting someone in a new environment & watching if their OCD gets better is a way to determine the environmental effect on OCD.  Is it the family or is it the child?