Is this normal procedures?

Guest Saz

Guest HeadAboveWater

I doubted it throughout my false memory thing and I only said the other day on the forum that my biggest fear is that I don't have OCD. I struggle with it often. It is incredibly common, people say it on here all the time, you know they do x

I completely agree, ginger girl! One of my biggest fears is that I don't have OCD after all.... and that I am just in denial. That is a horrible thought that always keeps me stuck trying to figure out if the thoughts are me or not.

So tired. When will it leave me alone. I haven't rang Ashley yet, what right do I have to ring him when there are people who are formally diagnosed with ocd and in distress and I'm so doubtful about it all.

Thank you everyone for your input anyway x

Even if you had a formal diagnosis of OCD ( which btw many people here have never had) I bet any amount of money you'd start to think:

- they could be mistaken

- I didn't explain it properly

- I manipulated the doctor into thinking I had OCD

- they don't understand

- other people with OCD are different to me

- they only think it's OCD because they see people with OCD all the time

- what if I'm the exception

- what if I have OCD and I also did this terrible thing

- what if I'm lying to myself

And so on and so on etc etc etc.

You will never, ever get the certainty you crave. That's the nature of OCD.

Your right ginger I'm just a mess with it all. Think I just cracked a bit the other night and felt dreadful since.

But you know what I'm gonna say if it might not be ocd shouldn't I go to authority.

That's what I'm dealing with in my head at the moment. I don't know if I literally can't tolerate the uncertainty. It's like the other day I hit a bump and knew full well it wasn't a person but something inside of me was screaming at me to check so I reversed back to check. I recognise that as not normal behaviour and that the compulsion was to go back and check but this I just can't x

Ok so feel a bit like I am repeating myself but here goes...

You cannot be totally sure this isn't true. You can't be certain you didn't do this thing - although the evidence suggests it is very improbable. You can't be certain.

does that mean you need to act on the possibility of it being true?

Well. You can't be certain of loads of things. Every day you take thousands of risks - things that may have happened or may happen in the future - and you don't act on them. Why not? because the risk is small. You don't need certainty, you just take the risk.

In this case, you feel you can't take that risk. You have spent a long time telling your brain that this is enormous risk, so much so that you cannot move on until you know it isn't true. But you don't need to know it isn't true. Just like you don't need to be sure an asteroid won't hit the earth today. It might happen - who knows? But you don't take any action because you don't see it as a big enough risk.

You don't need certainty about this to move on. You just need to stop telling your brain it is a huge risk which requires urgent action. Stop flagging it up and your brain will call down and wonder what the big deal was.

Guest nervous

gingerbreadgirl is bang on here, the search for certainty is our flaw. I'll give you a different example if someone has contamination OCD it won't do them any good to try and tell themselves that something in question is clean, because they will only question again later. They have to accept that it might be contaminated and they are willing to accept that risk.

I just can't deal with the whole 'maybe it's true maybe it isn't' I can't do it I'm so sorry. I think my sertraline has by some miracle calmed my anxiety but the doubt remains strong. Now I just think the tablets are blocking it :(

Guest jayjay89

Are you absolutely certain that someone (anyone) hasn't hurt your children?

100 percent sure that no one has hurt them?

No? 99% sure? You live with that. Why not this?

Erp

You have to do exposures saz.

You're still engaging with the thoughts flavour , rather than not, that is, you aren't doing things to test the thought, youre allowing it to test you, because of fear ,angst etc, which makes you, carry out the compulsion.

Unless you cut off the supply, the ocd remains