Things to Keep Us Occupied and Distracted

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A massive thing I learned in my recent therapy is that the more we restrict the time OCD has available to bother us, the easier it becomes to regain control and begin to marginalise it. 

So this is of as much importance as the basics of CBT. 

That's a very helpful tip. I need to try harder at finding things to occupy my time. I have things to do but my mind has been wandering badly, it would be nice to find more absorbing things to occupy more of my attention

I've been in quarantine for almost a month now. I've been cooking a lot, especially sweets since I hate baking. I figured, why not use this time to get better at it? So I did some very good  cupcakes, I was actually surprised! Today, I made homemade bread. It was my first time doing it, but it came out good. I have no online classes this week, so I'll try to do some different recipes ? I hope you're all coping well, considering the current situation... cooking and gardening are some great options to pass the time and it's nice to see things come to life ?

Baking, hooray!

My stepbrother is starting his online teaching tomorrow, so he's got himself a schedule in place. I've just been accepted as an NHS volunteering caller, which I'm hoping might be enough to take my mind off things. It's been the better part of a month since my workplace closed and I'm trying to keep busy, but my OCD has sprouted to the point that it's affected my concentration levels, so I need to work on that.

That said, today I helped my dad in the garden, which was very therapeutic, and also read in the sun for a while, which was a great escape. I'm still dealing with my anxieties day to day, but you can only take it one step at a time. 

We are perhaps more fortunate than many others. 

We live in a beautiful village, with lots of interesting areas to which to walk. 

We are close by to shops and pharmacy. 

There are good public transport links. 

And we have front and back gardens, plus a loft room in our bungalow that helps us to not get on each other's nerves. 

Fortunate yes, but all this was planned - we had the not inconsiderable task of actually making it happen! 

So it's comfortable here during lockdown, but we are still doing sensible things to help us come through. 

We have a major project underway in the garden - building a rockery and shrubbery. And made the effort to get in all the materials prior to lockdown. 

We have plenty of puzzle books. 

We are getting the most out of our Virgin TV package by recording series and programmes we like onto the memory in the Tivo box. This means there is always something good to watch. 

We are enjoying radio, and our collection of LPs, CDs, musicassettes. 

And we are both enjoying making up recipes and thus eating well. 

I haven't got going back on to my playing music on keyboards and Ukulele - been saving that up as coping quite well currently. 

We are all in this together.