I'm scared, I keep getting these images after having a couple of days without them. People say that being drunk lets them escape from these thoughts. So, because they are coming back when I've had a couple of drinks does that mean these thoughts represent the truth? It turns out I'm disgusting.

I found myself comparing myself again. It's all hopeless. I'm scared because people say they feel truthful when they drink. Is that me? 

Am I just not letting myself like these thoughts? I feel nothing, I frown, but then I get a 'groinal response.' But isn't that just repression. I understand there's a difference because I had a two day break from it. 

Edited by don't know

Hey DK, I want to say this in the kindest way possible - you're doing absolutely everything that you shouldn't be doing if you want to get better. You're also listening to all the wrong advice and ignoring every piece of good advice you get. You seem like a smart girl, when are you going to realise this?

Also, why do you think that all people are exactly the same? Experiences can be different.

Some people are truthful when they drink, some aren't. Some people are violent when they drunk, does that happen to you?

Groinal responses don't have to mean it's repression. Some women when they are raped report getting groinal responses and then blame themselves, thinking that they maybe wanted to be raped. Now do you think that is true? Or could it possibly be that our bodies react to sexual stimulation automatically, whether we want it or not? So many people on this forum write about groinal responses, so it's clearly common in OCD too. 

So many of us here are rooting for you to get better, but it has to come from you. You have to be the one to open up to the possibility that this is just a bunch of BS and that you can get better. 

12 hours ago, don't know said:

How am I getting down on myself? I feel convinced that it's just a lie all of this. I've had two days where I've been free from this. 

Quote: It turns out I'm disgusting.

You regularly put yourself down. It's your default position. 

21 hours ago, don't know said:

People say that being drunk lets them escape from these thoughts. So, because they are coming back when I've had a couple of drinks does that mean these thoughts represent the truth? It turns out I'm disgusting.

I think people who claim being drunk allows them to escape their thoughts are misleading themselves, in addition to anyone who choose to listen to their remedy.    I 100% guarantee that anybody that self medicates with alcohol doesn't escape their OCD for long, and most likely only during those few hours they are drinking, certainly the OCD will be back the next day. 

So the fact thoughts are there or nor when you drink is irrelevant, it doesn't represent truth no more than alcohol represents some kind of miracle treatment for OCD.

There was an article written about 20 years ago that suggested that a quarter of people suffering with OCD also had alcohol dependency problems, and I can believe it, because back then there was little support for OCD, so people would wrong self-medicate and like any compulsion, the solution became the problem eventually. 

2 hours ago, don't know said:

I had a couple of drinks not because of OCD, because I'm depressed with other aspects of my life.

First, I'm sorry that you continue to struggle with this and other problems and feel like you need alcohol to escape that.  Unfortunately, as you have learned first hand, while alcohol can provide a temporary escape for some people, it doesn't work that way for everyone AND in the end it doesn't do anything to address the actual problems, often it makes things work in the long run.  Drinking to escape or solve your problems is very similar to doing compulsions.  It can sometimes feel good in the moment, but it will hurt more over time.  Of course its up to you, but I think in general its best to avoid drinking when struggling with something like OCD.

2 hours ago, don't know said:

It's the fact that they came back whilst I was drinking that it happened. 

On 10/03/2019 at 07:57, don't know said:

People say that being drunk lets them escape from these thoughts. So, because they are coming back when I've had a couple of drinks does that mean these thoughts represent the truth?

These are, unfortunately, another example where you are creating rules and believing the results of those rules as if they are absolutely true.  While it is true that some people feel like drinking allows them to escape unpleasant/unwanted thoughts, it does not mean that having unpleasant thoughts while drunk means they are true.  Different people can have different reactions to the same thing.  Some people get sleepy when they drink, others get more friendly and outgoing, others get more withdrawn and angry.  Alcohol is, after all, a poison, and it affects our minds and bodies in different ways.

So no, it does NOT mean that these thoughts are real just because you had some of them while drinking.  But it is real that you are struggling and we are trying to get you to follow a better path that will lead you to help.  I hope you will take the time to really consider the advice we are giving you, it can get better, but not through the methods you are trying.

11 hours ago, don't know said:

I had a couple of drinks not because of OCD, because I'm depressed with other aspects of my life. It's the fact that they came back whilst I was drinking that it happened. 

OCD or depression, the concept is the same, it's self-medicating.  Alcohol is a depressant too, so the more you drink the more likely you are to stay in a rut, so the fact OCD thoughts came back whilst you're drinking is not surprising at all, I would be more amazed if they didn't to be honest.

I don't know if the alcohol consumption is a problem or not for you, I guess that's where some honest soul searching is required, but hopefully it's not yet at the point of being a problem, so you can still reflect and find alternative ways to try and find relief. It's a cliché, but fresh air would be a starting point for me, but we are all different so maybe there are other natural ways to find that relief. :)