Regrets.......I've had a few

Following on from Andrea's thread........my regrets as a result of being an OCD sufferer.

I would probably have had children.  I would probably have chosen Nursing (or even medicine) as a career. My decision was made in the 70's, twenty years prior to my diagnosis..

The process, the reality of facing OCD doubt of getting through it isn't any easier today......but the understanding, the support, the outcome is.......Grab it, use it, know you can do this.  It's hard but it isn't a life sentence....never accept it as such.

6 hours ago, Caramoole said:

Following on from Andrea's thread........my regrets as a result of being an OCD sufferer.

I would probably have had children.  I would probably have chosen Nursing (or even medicine) as a career. My decision was made in the 70's, twenty years prior to my diagnosis..

The process, the reality of facing OCD doubt of getting through it isn't any easier today......but the understanding, the support, the outcome is.......Grab it, use it, know you can do this.  It's hard but it isn't a life sentence....never accept it as such.

I think you make a good point about the understanding and support. I can relate to your regrets and I appreciate it can at times be difficult to look back on. Just yesterday I told someone how I have always wanted my own children, but think it will never happen. It was hard to explain to the other person how that feels. I think at times that understanding needs to come from ourselves. To recognise that there are ups and downs, that changes can happen and that we can adapt. Also not too put blame on ourselves. Take a step back at times.

I hope that even though you have this regret you can have some compassion for how life has been.

15 hours ago, Caramoole said:

I'm so sorry ocd has taken so much from you caramoole xx 

15 hours ago, Caramoole said:

but the understanding, the support, the outcome is.......Grab it, use it, know you can do this.  It's hard but it isn't a life sentence....never accept it as such.

Absolutely right Caramoole.

We can't change the past, or what OCD's taken from us. But there's noting to suggest we can't change the future and take back our future from OCD.   So important to have goals in life (short term to be able to do X,Y,Z and mid/long term goals for life without OCD (Andrea's thread). Goals and dreams can also add to the motivation needed to challenge our OCD, especially on those tough days.

But, even with OCD, we can still achieve new things and develop new skills we didn't know we had, even in our sunset years when we are not busy with this,  :fish: right Caramoole? :)

Absolutely right :D

When I say regrets......it's maybe slightly misleading (but I liked the title :lol: )

They are just two things, two decisions I know were made because of OCD/anxiety and not having any information, support or treatment at the time....or for a couple of decades following.  I don't worry about it or are resentful or sad  it just is as it is.  I suppose that the message is....don't let this disorder rob you or take away any dreams because they can be achieved despite it.  I just wish I'd known that a long time ago.

Important though that when we are moving forwards that , for “some” treating the grief of lost years isn’t forgotten as that may or could impede on the cbt. If that makes sense .. .. 

Important not to forget the regrets , but important to that with good help it does get better ... 

And yep if only we knew .. but ... we can look at a future where we can achieve goals ... I once wanted to be an xyz but ocd prevented me from .. well we can still do that ... we really can. ..it’s never to late .. 

Maybe more therapists and access to decent treatments will make that possible to 

Edited by Legend