Frustrated by the circle

I have pure O, I'd that term is okay to use. Because of my social setting, I am totally surrounded everyday by things which are central to the themes that bother me, objects, people, locations.

Nothing bad has ever happened. I've never lost control. I seriously doubt that anything bad ever will happen. I prove it all wrong again and again, just by living my life.

Yet thoughts persist and I'm stuck in a loop. I often think what would happen if I did this, what would people think of me for having these thoughts, how would my life be different if I didn't have this.

I'm stuck. Please share some advice.

What you call the circle is the OCD trap. You get intrusive thoughts. They bother you. You think you have to do something about them (compulsions). Nothing gets resolved but your actions lead to more intrusive thoughts. And round and round you go.

The ONLY way out is to stop reacting to the thoughts. Stop freaking out. Stop the compulsions.

Edited by PolarBear

When you have the thoughts, what do you do next?

If you're trying to answer the thoughts or figure them out, that might be why they keep persisting. It's tough, but try just letting them exist. You can't really stop thoughts occurring, certainly not through sheer force of will. So, let them be. Keep doing your own thing and try to give them less attention. Again, tough. But that's the best course.

I used to label myself as having "Pure-O" OCD too.  I didn't count things. I didn't walk through a door three times. I didn't constantly check my stove or door lock.  I didn't have to keep things in order.  No compulsions, just obsessions.  Pure-O.

Unfortunately this meant I was completely ignoring the compulsions I did have and it slowed my recovery.  Mental compulsions are just as real and in some ways more tricky to deal with than outward compulsions.  My compulsions were ruminating and reassurance seeking.  I would analyze my situation over and over to try and 'solve' it.  If i could JUST find the answer, if I could JUST find the solution to the problem, THEN my anxiety would stop!  So I would seek reassurance.  Sometimes by asking friends or family, often by researching on the internet about whatever my current feared theme was.  Just like you are doing.

2 hours ago, kirby42 said:

Yet thoughts persist and I'm stuck in a loop. I often think what would happen if I did this, what would people think of me for having these thoughts, how would my life be different if I didn't have this.

I'm stuck. Please share some advice.

As PolarBear says, dwelling on and analyzing and wondering about your anxieties is the compulsion and the best thing you can do is try and stop doing this as best you can.

Absolutely agree with the others. 

The term Pure O is a misnomer because sufferers actually engage with mental compulsions, keeping the OCD alive. 

I used to be " surrounded by triggers ", now one rarely occurs - and if it does, it is ignored and slips away. 

That's what you can achieve. By refusing to listen to and give belief to intrusions. When they come, just think "Oh that's just my silly obsession"  and refocusing away without carrying out compulsions. 

This is difficult at first but becomes easier. 

It's giving belief to the "possibility" of OCD, and carrying out the resultant urge to carry out compulsions, that keeps the circle of distress alive.