Accepting truly not knowing is the key?

Ive come to the conclusion that if we can do this, is the only way we can overcome this disorder, anything else is a ritualization. But what an impaired way to look at the world, but how much of ocd is about FORCING for things to be a certain way, to be sure. With more insight can we understand the disorder, but is the disorder really just about RESIGNATION. To be resigned to not knowing,when you strip everything away. Your thoughts.

6 minutes ago, humbleno1 said:

Ive come to the conclusion that if we can do this, is the only way we can overcome this disorder, anything else is a ritualization. But what an impaired way to look at the world, but how much of ocd is about FORCING for things to be a certain way, to be sure. With more insight can we understand the disorder, but is the disorder really just about RESIGNATION. To be resigned to not knowing,when you strip everything away. Your thoughts.

I disagree, it's not resignation. It's giving yourself permission to live your life and be happy without having to be certain about everything. In a way, it's empowering because life will throw a million things your way and yet you have the resolve to live on your own terms, not those dictated by OCD. 

59 minutes ago, humbleno1 said:

The 'resignation' you refer to is merely not reacting to the irrelevant. 

18 hours ago, humbleno1 said:

But what an impaired way to look at the world,

No, it’s a reasonable way to look at the world, because the alternative is LITERALLY impossible.

In order for you to be 100% certain about anything, you would have to be 100% certain about EVERYTHING. Meaning you would have to have absolute knowledge about every thing in all of the universe, from the moment it began until now AND you would have to be able to understand how it all works together.  I other words your entire mind would have to be able to model the entire universe from the Big Bang til the present with perfect accuracy. Which essentially means you’d have to have a brain able to copy the entire universe. And, given that your brain is PART of that universe that’s literally impossible because the universe is inherently bigger than your brain. 

So you can’t be 100% certain about ANYTHING. What does that mean? It means in order to function you have to accept that sometimes you can’t be sure about something, because in fact you can’t be sure about anything. Yet people manage to get by, people manage to live their entire lives without be able to be certain. Ever. How?  They can be certain enough. Certain enough is an achievable goal. You can be certain enough you locked your door. You can be certain enough you didn’t murder someone in your sleep. You can be certain enough the sun will rise tomorrow. Not 100% certain though. Which means there will ALWAYS be some doubt. And that’s ok. 

18 hours ago, malina said:

I disagree, it's not resignation. It's giving yourself permission to live your life and be happy without having to be certain about everything. In a way, it's empowering because life will throw a million things your way and yet you have the resolve to live on your own terms, not those dictated by OCD. 

Very good point, the first and most essential principal is to accept that there will be difficult moments of unhappiness, and the trick to overcome them is just to reassure yourself that they will not last long, they gonna disappear automatically as they came to give place to happiness instead...

Evening All,

I saw something on Youtube. It was not a cure, but a tool. OCD constantly casts doubt. The question it always asks is What if this? What if that? The answer I use these days is 'I don't know' Every time OCD accuses me of something, I answer I don't know. Apparently this strengthens the left side of the brain; the logical rational side. As opposed to the creative right side of the brain.

It seems to calm down my intrusive thoughts.

3 hours ago, O Neg said:

Evening All,

I saw something on Youtube. It was not a cure, but a tool. OCD constantly casts doubt. The question it always asks is What if this? What if that? The answer I use these days is 'I don't know' Every time OCD accuses me of something, I answer I don't know. Apparently this strengthens the left side of the brain; the logical rational side. As opposed to the creative right side of the brain.

It seems to calm down my intrusive thoughts.

I’m glad that works for you. I’ve got solace in the numerous papers on how our amygdala sends out these alarms which we can not react to.