How come some days are more normal?

Why is it that on some days I can see the worry I have as being quite small and I'm able to keep it in it's box..feel abit more free and hopeful 

But other days it seems massive and the nagging doubt makes everything seem frightening, that feeling in the pit of your stomach and nothing seems to help

Its like there is a rational part of my brain but it only works on certain days...

I n the words of the song, it's not unusual. 

Try and move forwards towards more good days and less bad. 

Remember what you have learned, and try to park that OCD bus ? well away from home ? 

4 hours ago, ocdsufferer85 said:

Why is it that on some days I can see the worry I have as being quite small and I'm able to keep it in it's box..feel abit more free and hopeful 

But other days it seems massive and the nagging doubt makes everything seem frightening, that feeling in the pit of your stomach and nothing seems to help

Its like there is a rational part of my brain but it only works on certain days...

I know what you mean and I often think how nice it would be if my logical mind could be the more dominant more often.

But really it is the learning to move ahead with our days no  matter our feelings that will show us how its not important whether we feel anxious at the moment or not.

So we go ahead, with that gross feeling in the pit of our stomachs and with the worry nagging at us...and then eventually as the ocd sees that it cannot control our days, it stops nagging us so much. That's why the less compulsions/avoidance we do the better!

3 hours ago, leif said:

I know what you mean and I often think how nice it would be if my logical mind could be the more dominant more often.

But really it is the learning to move ahead with our days no  matter our feelings that will show us how its not important whether we feel anxious at the moment or not.

So we go ahead, with that gross feeling in the pit of our stomachs and with the worry nagging at us...and then eventually as the ocd sees that it cannot control our days, it stops nagging us so much. That's why the less compulsions/avoidance we do the better!

Exactly, we just go on with life. I have a rule with myself that on days that I feel really anxious, I don’t let my everyday life slip. I make sure I have breakfast, try to dress nicely, focus on work. The more you take care of yourself and engage in everyday life, the less control it has.

Our bodies, and our brains are complex things and they can be affected by myriad different factors throughout the day and over time.  Stress, sleep level, diet, illness, climate, etc. all play a role in how we feel in general, its no different with OCD.  Sometimes you might be able to identify the cause "Gee, I didn't get much sleep last night so I'm extra irritable today" or "I haven't eaten much today, maybe thats why I'm feeling a little more tired".  Other times you won't be able to tell why you are feeling different today than yesterday, either because the cause isn't obvious or the cause is a collection of factors which are difficult to isolate.  You can take action on the areas we know affect ones well being (get enough sleep, eat a healthy diet, try to avoid excessive stress, etc.) but otherwise you'll just have to accept that some days are different than others.  Enjoy the days which are better, and do the work. you have to on days that are not so great.  To paraphrase the popular serenity prayer, change what you can, accept what you can't.

On 17/04/2019 at 11:07, ocdsufferer85 said:

The way I feel on any given day is pretty much always related to how many compulsions I've done recently. If you feel bad one day look at whether you analysed or sought reassurance the day before (even if very subtly) and you may find your answer. 

6 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

The way I feel on any given day is pretty much always related to how many compulsions I've done recently.

I completely agree with GBG, it's pretty much directly proportional for me. 

Our primitive thalamus decides if an event gets sent to our primitive amygdala or anxiety center OR to our neocortex which is our “new brain.”  That’s basically what’s happening.  It’s mostly a matter of timing. If one reacts within 25ms it’s sent to our amygdala. 

On 17/04/2019 at 11:40, ocdsufferer85 said:

Thank you.

Today I feel it nagging away at me...

The doubt and the fear that I did wrong, or that my motives were wrong.

The guilt doesn't go away for this "wrong doing" feeling

It would do if you worked through CBT correctly. 

There is no quick fix in CBT for OCD. It's a long campaign but one that does so much to help the sufferer from OCD.